Droop issues...Reciever fit is perfect(Imho)-Why?? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:46 PM
OragunLib
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question Droop issues...Reciever fit is perfect(Imho)-Why??

Howdy Y'all!
Just fitted a nice GM Running Boar. Very accurate barrel & I am very impressed by the quality.

When I fitted it I had to sand it lightly,just past the bluing to get the fit right. I greased it up & got it started about 1/4 way by hand. Then I dropped the reciever onto a linoleum floor from about 12" up. It was then about 2/3 the way in & one more drop did the trick. I verified the ejector cut was centered & took her shooting.

I had to shoot at max adjustment for elevation & still needed a bit more(21X scope).I have some adjustable mounts & was suprised to see how much elevation I had to crank in to get the scope centered.

The stock is bedded for the 1st 2" of the barrel & I have a secret sauce foam pad at the forend for a bit of upward pressure.So I doubt it's a stock/mounting issue.

I have seen the adjustable barrel blocks but is this really necessary?. I have verified everything is nice & snug as far as barrel/reciever fit goes. As tight as it went in I'm hard pressed to figure how it could be out of line. Also,as tight as it is will pressing up with the block adjustor really bring it back home?.

For now it shoots great & I am Ok with adjustable mounts for now. But I would prefer a more rational aproach to this fix-If anyone knows-Y'all would. I'm stumped...
Thanks!

Last edited by OragunLib; 10-28-2007 at 07:49 PM. Reason: My spelling sucks
Old 10-28-2007, 07:59 PM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
Try one of these bases.

https://www.eabco.com/cgi-bin/shoppe...on&key=005-104
Old 10-28-2007, 08:47 PM
BillyRam

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The Ruger reciever is made of very soft cast aluminum that can be easily damaged. I don't hear about many factory installed barrels with drooping problems. Care should be taken when removing the factory barrel and installing a new after market barrel. I believe the safest way to install a barrel is to heat the reciever and freeze the barrel before assembling. It doesn't hurt to use a little Never-Seeze. A new barrel has the shank turned in a lathe and is parallel. Sanding can taper the shank if you're not careful.
Billy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2007, 09:53 PM
OragunLib

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I do believe the reciever is just as the factory made it..

The factory barrel was fair sloppy in the reciever. I tried the hot/cold & the barrel would not get started even. I do own a lathe & the sanding was done evenly.
I also have 20+ years as a auto tech & I believe I know my "fits". this is as snug as it gets & no way did it damage the reciever installing it. The "drop" method may not be rocket science but it beats a soft hammer IMHO. Like I said it was started by hand,properly lubed & went in very smoothly.

I like that base, also the price is right.
Thanks for the help.
Carl.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:00 PM
cletus hungwell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
it is common to see a hump in the top of the reciever just above the front of the ejection port.....this can cause a similar issue as droop.....a straight edge will show if this is the problem

cletus
Old 10-30-2007, 09:00 AM
ChiefDave

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Chief Says = Easy Fix = get ya one of Sheeters adjustable V-Blocks
Old 10-30-2007, 09:28 AM
Passinby

TPC Rating: 
99% (69)
Send a message via Yahoo to Passinby
Droop, schmoop. Every single 10/22 I have ever owned on which I have mounted a long scope (over 12 in) required that the scope be shimmed. I have owned around 30 of them, and currently have nine.

I've also had several 10/22s with the barrel threaded into the receiver. Same problem. Long scope, needs shimming.

I've never had the problem with shorter scopes. Some of the oldtimers refer to "receiver hump".

Get the Burris adjustable rings (with the inserts) or shim the rear.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:38 AM
madcratebuilder
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had similar problem with 18" GM barrel. I have a adjustable v-block. I ended up shimming the rear mount with some brass shim stock.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:36 AM
Davida425

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had the same problem with my new A&B barrel. I tried shimming the scope and the adjustable V-block and they worked ok, but I never liked the idea of shimming the scope and it required too much adjustment from the V-block in my opinion. I solved the problem by sending it to Randy @ CPC who threaded the barrel to the block and it came back perfectly aligned needing no scope shimming and a very solid mount to the receiver. And, the price was right!
Old 10-30-2007, 10:52 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Here we go...

Here is what I have found/experienced.
With tight fits at barrel to receiver I have not had much luck with adj v-blocks = no slop = nothing to take up. Especially with blued and stainless barrels = more rigid. I even had a factory carbine lately that would not fix with the adj. v-block and had to go with Burris Sig Zee rings and offsets...and that was with it's factory barrel and a Mueller APV..not overly long and mounted to it's very rearward slot.
Now with TacSols it has been a different story, they have all been fixed with adj. v-blocks via Skeeter or Gunsmither and some homemade via Cletus trick. Even well/tight fitted ones (TacSol) seem to have more droop issues that are fixed by the adj. v-blocks, which for me..seems that the softer more flexible aluminum is or might be a issue...I am not a engineer...just thoughts and my experiences...awww aint it fun to tweak all the little tolerance and lack of variants.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:40 PM
Sword Bearer

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
The adjustable v-block wouldn't work with my running boar barrel. The best solution I found was bedding it towards the front of the barrel channel to apply a little upward pressure.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:21 AM
Markbo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Any of the fixes are worth trying, but just FWIW there is absolutely NO guarantee the receiver opening is actually round. Just because it was a tight fit doesn't not mean it is a good fit.

I use adjustable V/blocks on all my builds because I think they help accuracy. Either the Zee rings or that base from Eabco will work too. Thanks for that link Gizzy... never seen it before.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markbo View Post
I use adjustable V/blocks on all my builds because I think they help accuracy. Either the Zee rings or that base from Eabco will work too. Thanks for that link Gizzy... never seen it before.

I just learned of the new base last week when someone else posted about it. I think it will solve a lot of shimming, and using the offset inserts on the Signature Rings.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:44 PM
cletus hungwell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
there are 2 different things that can cause low bullet impact....

one is droop, the solutions of which have been well discussed here...

the other is the infamous reciever hump...the fix for this can range from different scope bases or rings, to recuting the top of the reciever flat and refinishing it....

till ya figure which of these you have, no solution will be "best" for your gun

cletus
Old 11-05-2007, 06:34 PM
39a

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just a side question - Have y'all found that it's generally better to put upward pressure on a .920" barrel, or leave it free floated. It just seems to me that the aluminum receiver to the 10-22 is not strong enough to support even a fluted SS barrel that size.

I'm about to put one together and am contemplating the right stock/fit for strength and accuracy.

( I hope this didn't hijack this thread.)