Cooper Evolution - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-23-2019, 09:38 AM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (227)
Cooper Evolution

This forum is dead! No fancy wood here, but pics of a Jackson Squirrel that has evolved. This is the rifle I described awhile ago in the Cooper Custom Shop thread, now wearing a new bolt body that works.

The rifle was re-barreled by Evelio with a 22" tight-bore Lilja with the same profile as a Cooper Jackson Squirrel. The original Cooper barrel would not shoot consistently, ranging from an occasional 1/2" group to a 1 1/2" or worse group, no matter what ammo was put through it, including Eley Tenex and Lapua Midas. Every effort -- and there were many! -- to fix the issue came up empty. It was in a beautiful Canyon Creek stock, but is now in a McMillan (?) Jackson Hunter synthetic stock pillared and bedded. The first decent weather we get will see it at the range.

Doug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3385.jpg (354.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3388.jpg (342.8 KB, 23 views)
Old 02-23-2019, 11:29 AM
Tgilmer
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Cooper

Cooper action, McMillan stack, lilja barrel? That's just about perfect. I do love my Coopers. Some of them anyway.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:53 PM
joet333

TPC Rating: 
100% (39)
Very nice rig, Doug. I do like composite stocks for squirrel rifles...and that one is nice.
If I'm not mistaken, the Cooper factory JSR stocks were Bell & Carlson. I could be wrong.

Old 02-23-2019, 01:03 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Doug,

That looks great. Looking forward to seeing the new results. Any idea why the original barrel wouldn't shoot consistently?
Old 02-23-2019, 05:10 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (227)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joet333 View Post
Very nice rig, Doug. I do like composite stocks for squirrel rifles...and that one is nice.
If I'm not mistaken, the Cooper factory JSR stocks were Bell & Carlson. I could be wrong.
I'm really not sure, but the stock came from Cooper so whatever they use is, I'm sure, what it is. All I can say is that it is a very nice and very rigid stock. Bell & Carlson would be a good one.

Doug
Old 02-23-2019, 05:20 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (227)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisssofdeath View Post
Doug,

That looks great. Looking forward to seeing the new results. Any idea why the original barrel wouldn't shoot consistently?
I don't know what the problem was. Believe me, everything was checked out -- more than once. In fact, after all that, I sent it back to Canyon Creek after talking with LeRoy Barry and he couldn't sort it out either. So he took it to Cooper and asked them to re-barrel it. After that it was no better (if, in fact, they re-barreled it) I finally gave up trying to solve the mystery and sent it off to Evelio for the Lilja. I now have really big bucks invested in this rifle. It now has all the right stuff, and if it doesn't shoot lights out now, I'm not sure what I'll do with it.

Doug
Old 02-23-2019, 07:34 PM
drover

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr65 View Post
I'm really not sure, but the stock came from Cooper so whatever they use is, I'm sure, what it is. All I can say is that it is a very nice and very rigid stock. Bell & Carlson would be a good one.

Doug
They are B&C, and they are a good stable stock.

drover
Old 02-23-2019, 07:54 PM
HJA8

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr65 View Post
I now have really big bucks invested in this rifle. It now has all the right stuff, and if it doesn't shoot lights out now, I'm not sure what I'll do with it.
Doug
Welcome to the 57M re-barrel club, Doug. The rifle looks really nice set up that way and I'd be surprised if it doesn't turn out to shoot as well as (I'm tipping it will shoot better) than any of those pretty wood stocked rifles of yours.

Some of the most accurate 22's I've had built sit I laminated or synthetic stocks.

My smith in Hobart has just completed a threaded Weihrauch/Benchmark build which I'll have in hand on Wednesday - Looking forward to that one - If it shoots like the Cooper he re-barrelled, I'll be more than satisfied.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:14 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (227)
Well, GREAT NEWS!!! I had the re-barreled Cooper (the one in the pics above) out to the range today for the first time since I got it back (and the first time in that stock). I shot it and two of my RFC buddies shot it. And despite the wind, we shot some very nice groups. It did pretty well with SK Standard+, not as well with SK Rifle Match (), and really well with Center-X. While I want to put a lot more shots, including some Eley and RWS, downrange when the wind isn't working against me, the consensus was that it's now a shooter. I am relieved as I did not look forward to having such an expensive tomato stake!

Doug
Old 03-24-2019, 09:52 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Glad its finally shooting for you Doug. You handled it with more patience than I'd've.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:14 PM
BIP
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Glad its finally shooting for you Doug. You handled it with more patience than I'd've.
How much of an infidel are you, Al? Especially since you have never seen a Muj? Stay in your lane....
Old 04-02-2019, 01:33 PM
Gripen

TPC Rating: 
96% (24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIP View Post
How much of an infidel are you, Al? Especially since you have never seen a Muj? Stay in your lane....

Exactly what does this have to do with anything in this thread? Al's seen plenty in another part of the world, and "seeing a Muj" has nothing to do with whether you're an infidel or not.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:32 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIP View Post
Old Corps here son. I was a jungle Marine, 0311 squad leader, before you were a glint in your daddy's eye.
Semper Fi

Last edited by Al the Infidel; 04-05-2019 at 10:38 AM.