Making a backyard backstop - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-26-2019, 06:04 PM
leenie
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

bought a 500 gallon propane tank I am going to make it into a shooting gallery. my grandson will cut some targets for me. it will be a couple of months project. no electric so I will power it with a gas motor. I will post pictures as I go along. the fuel tank is at 50 yards behind my house. I have a 100 yard range in the woods. I want to make a 300 yard range on the other side of the property. there are pictures of my 100 range in the thread shooting accessories.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank.jpg (542.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 03-27-2019, 09:26 AM
romlar86
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkd View Post
There seems to be no regard for wounding wildlife that might stray through or even worse a person going for a walk. Where do all those bullets and ricochets go? If you can't see the problem here, maybe you should look again and give it some thought.
I doubt very seriously any wildlife is stupid enough to remain in the area to be shot.I,m assuming this is private property,if so no one should be there"going for a walk". My major problem is your assumption that the guy is irresponsible or worse and you know nothing other than what you,ve seen in a picture,just jumped right in and made a accusation on no basis other than your own ideas of what you should see.Another case of self proclaimed internet policing,maybe you think too much!It,s been my experience that in a well wooded area like this seems to be richochets are not a problem and the bullets find lodging in a tree.My son lives in Springfield,Il and I would agree this setup would not be good there or in most of IL that I,ve seen,most of that lacked dense woods.Just because it don,t work for you doesn,t mean it won,t work for someone many hundreds of miles away from you in terrain you know nothing about.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:40 AM
romlar86
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Have you thought about using sandbags?The poly bags last a long time and the sand doesn,t go any where even if the bags lose integrity over time.Depending on how well you know local officials such as the county judge or state emergency officials you could get your bags at little to no cost,most counties have pallets of the things in warehouses or shops.If the bags are stacked in a interlocking pattern like building a bunker they can be made any number of bags thick or tall.You might have to buy a dump truck load of sand but plain old dirt could be used as well.There would be a lot of labor involved of course in the filling and stacking but you could build a very nice backstop for little money that would be there for awhile.Just thought I,d throw that in for consideration as an alternitive.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:45 AM
wkd
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by romlar86 View Post
I doubt very seriously any wildlife is stupid enough to remain in the area to be shot.I,m assuming this is private property,if so no one should be there"going for a walk". My major problem is your assumption that the guy is irresponsible or worse and you know nothing other than what you,ve seen in a picture,just jumped right in and made a accusation on no basis other than your own ideas of what you should see.Another case of self proclaimed internet policing,maybe you think too much!It,s been my experience that in a well wooded area like this seems to be richochets are not a problem and the bullets find lodging in a tree.My son lives in Springfield,Il and I would agree this setup would not be good there or in most of IL that I,ve seen,most of that lacked dense woods.Just because it don,t work for you doesn,t mean it won,t work for someone many hundreds of miles away from you in terrain you know nothing about.
1 a number of times when in the military we have to have a cease fire because of deer in the line of fire. The range where I used to shoot would on occasion have the same problem.

2 there is no such thing as private property, people trespass every day, do you really think that kids out romping in the woods have any regard for signs or even gunshots.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:05 PM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Back to the OP. I seem to remember Skeeter Skelton had a U shaped backstop made from crossties and dirt banked up inside to reduce wear and tear on the ties. This would seem to be a way to make a fairly inexpensive and very durable stop.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:49 PM
max503

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Deer and turkey routinely hold up shooting by wandering into the line of fire at our range.
Kids don't pay attention to who-owns-what land. Neither do mushroom hunters, people looking for lost pets, etc.
I would rent a machine and make a backstop even if it was in BFE.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:23 PM
romlar86
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Trespass laws vary,here not knowing you were trespassing is no excuse so anyone who wanders about with no regard for where they are is subject to arrest.This guys place is not the same as a dedicated shooting range with members and dues,etc.All that said you still miss the point,none of you know anything about this man or his place.To accuse him of being an imbecile or worse is what ticks me off.Anyway,chalk one up for the internet Nazis.By the way,private property does exist,try your excuse out if you got caught trespassing and see how that flies.Kids around here learn very young about private property since a great deal of ground is privately owned,much of it by out of state hunters who take a dim view of trespassers of any age and will prosecute.Everyone knows this and stays away,kids too.

Last edited by romlar86; 03-27-2019 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:48 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Quote:
I doubt very seriously any wildlife is stupid enough to remain in the area to be shot. .
At our club range in Wyoming, while we are shooting we frequently have to run off pronghorns who wander into the line of fire and settle down, sometimes within 50 yards of the firing line. At my own range, situated in an aspen grove, I have deer, moose, badgers, rabbits, etc that remain in the immediate vicinity when I'm shooting, not unusual at all to have some critter move into my line of fire just as I'm about to squeeze one off.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:55 PM
wkd
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
95% (17)
Quote:
Trespass laws vary,here not knowing you were trespassing is no excuse so anyone who wanders about with no regard for where they are is subject to arrest.This guys place is not the same as a dedicated shooting range with members and dues,etc.All that said you still miss the point,none of you know anything about this man or his place.To accuse him of being an imbecile or worse is what ticks me off.Anyway,chalk one up for the internet Nazis.By the way,private property does exist,try your excuse out if you got caught trespassing and see how that flies.Kids around here learn very young about private property since a great deal of ground is privately owned,much of it by out of state hunters who take a dim view of trespassers of any age and will prosecute.Everyone knows this and stays away,kids too.
No, you sir have totally missed the point of firearms safety and regard for others.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:09 PM
JDWinCO

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I also have had animals show up during shooting times both at public ranges and on private property, a little disconcerting when you have two deer standing 10 feet to the side watching you shoot. And yes, if you think that is BS come into my world and learn.

I also have been downrange of a impromptu shooting session by some local kids while I was turkey hunting. Amazing how one remembers how to dive and roll, crawl out. Then come up next to the shooters and let them know that aspen saplings are not a good back stop.

But why toss stones at the OP when he is looking to improve the safety of his setup?
Old 03-29-2019, 02:07 PM
mushka
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I guess some people would only be happy in a perfect world. As it stands in all my years of shooting on and off ranges, I've never seen a perfect range set up. WKD would be appalled if he came to my state, AZ, and saw where people shoot. I shoot in unimproved areas because ranges are dangerous places, people go there to shoot, and I have a distrust of most of them. Live and let live is a good motto to follow in most cases.