Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Tacticool is here!

9K views 74 replies 38 participants last post by  gmd1950 
#1 · (Edited)
Tacticool is here! UPDATED w/ camo

Brown truck just dropped of my 452 Tacticool. Will bolt it up this afternoon and post pics. Looks decents, a couple of flaws in finish but nothing bad.

Hope it fits good.

#7 ·

Dang people, Guys gotta make a livin, but here it is. Fit real nice, barrel channel slightly favors one side (still floated). I am really pleased, need to start the shop for a scope. Had this project going since July, got it cut and threaded and been waiting for today ever since. I think I will work on the stock color a bit. More like the FDE color of the rings.

Whatya think;) PS Its an HMR.

#14 ·
Just mounted the stock to my 452 .17 hmr varmint, perfect fit. I did a barrel float check, clear all the way to the action, the barrel does favor the left side of the stock ever so slightly but nothing even comes close to touching. To me it was well worth the wait.

#21 ·
how much

Can someone please measure the offset in the channel and post the dimensions?
Reason I ask is because the one arriving here today also has an offset issue, left side way tight, right side way loose. I'd like to get a better idea of what people are referring to as "slight offset".:eek:

#26 ·
Your CZs look awesome in this stock!

Can someone please measure the offset in the channel and post the dimensions?
Reason I ask is because the one arriving here today also has an offset issue, left side way tight, right side way loose. I'd like to get a better idea of what people are referring to as "slight offset".:eek:
Keep in mind that their instructions state it may need minor fitting. I had the same issue with a very tight clearance on one side of the barrel channel on a Target 10/22 and with slightly different "thicknesses" of the walls of the receiver cutout. The barrel channel can be fixed with some sandpaper, the proper ratchet socket, a can of flat black, and a little time. The receiver cut-out fit is nice and tight, but I may ened up piller bedding it anyway.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361923

"I just measured each of the sides of the receiver cutout, at their thinnest, on both top and bottom. Bottom was at magazine well and top was at corresponding location as seen from the top of the stock. Measurements are as follows:

Bottom ("Right" is charging handle side)
Right: 8/32"
Left: 9/32"

Right: 7/32"
Left: 8/32"

I also noted that, for the most part, as measured by the sliding of a $1 bill between the barrel and channel, the barrel is free floated except for the last couple of inches on the left side (muzzle pointing forward), where bill passed with resistance."

#22 · (Edited)
Mine is less than 1/16" to the left at the very end of the stock, you really have to look close, to see the slight offset, nothing really stands out.The barrel on my .17hmr varmint is not even close touching anything on the stock all the way to the action. Two business cards will clear all the way with no problem. I am really impressed with the feel and quality of this stock over the factory one on my CZ. When assembled yesterday the fit is tight and precise....the bolt action & lockup now seems to be allot smoother on mine for some reason. Jay.

#36 ·
Thanks for the quick pics....... Mine was off much more than what your pics show, just off the phone with Kurt at Boyd's and was given an RMA to see about an improved fit for this project.
Otherwise, this stock is absolutely a great piece of work, especially for the rock bottom price point.:)

#35 ·
Yes Bob, as you probably already thought, these stocks have the forward bedding block/screw inletting for the "Trainer" type actions, and as you probably suspected, if you install an American action into this, you'll have to revise the rear hole to accept the bedding lug and the larger through bolt at the rear, and it would leave the front lug through hole that is about 4" ahead of the bottom plate wide open and unused for that application. You'd have to plug that hole and refinish the stock, which is no biggie if you wanted to repaint it , but probably a hurdle if you wanted it to fit as delivered.
Another challenge to this application would be that there is a strengthening screw installed into the "neck" of the grip and the head on the screw will interfere with the needed clearance to inlett the rear screw area to accept the rear lug on the American's action.
But that is not my biggest obstacle to overcome here, my problem is that the barrel channel inletting is well over .050" offset to the receiver inletting and I have been thus far unable to speak with someone at Boyd's.
I also have several "Tacticool's" in the 10/22 model and they are also somewhat offset in their channel to receiver's inletting, but nothing like the pronounced offset I have here on the CZ stock.
Worst case scenario I guess is that Sproutman will get one hell of a "Trainer" next year on this day for his 6th birthday, using the CZ Trainer that placed both 1st and 2nd at that Baptist church 50 yard open sights Turkey shoot competition back in 2006, you know, the one with the 9 ounce trigger made from a Ruger 10/22's trigger return spring= I "stashed" it back for his future.:)

#29 ·
Were these stocks ordered from Boyds website directly? I say a nice .22 with a similar stock at Dick's but that was a Savage... I'd love to put one of these Stocks on my 452 American... if you can direct me to where to purchase one, I would be much obliged... and wont take long on the pictures :D

thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.