Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-19-2017, 06:01 PM
DroopyBassets75
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)

Years ago I purchased a 270 Remington 700 from a reputable gun shop right outside of Ft Campbell, KY/TN (depending on who you ask).

I did the right thing, and registered it so I could shoot it on post. I ended up getting arrested even though I had the paperwork which was time stamped fifteen minutes prior to my attempted registry.

I was told by the Clarksville police officer who originally arrested me that I was "going to fry", he seemed VERY pleased with himself. We all have run into the type.

After six hours I was released. Three months later I had to go to court, I was tried two times. Once in Clarksville (which was eventually dropped due to the obvious paperwork), and once by the military who insisted I knowingly bought a stolen rifle and then tried to register it........ The judge ended up dropping the charges saying it was a waste of time. Agreed.

When it was all over, I was told the prior owner didn't want the gun anymore and it was now mine. Problem is, nobody knows where it went. The gunshop that sold it said the Ft Campbell police turned it over to the Clarksville police. The Clarksville police said they returned it to the MP's. I didn't get either the gun or my money back. Somebody got a nice free Remington 700.....

Takeaway? I bought a 600 pound safe after seeing the hassle for everybody involved. Sure that can be stolen too, but it takes a heck of a lot of effort. Make three copies of every single gun, serial number, caliber, finish type, stock material, optics, etc and have it dated and signed in ink by yourself and two witnesses. Store a copy of that at a family members house, or a close friend. Equally important, never buy a used gun unless you know who owns it, and where it came from before they took ownership.

Thankfully I have never had any guns stolen (and hope to keep it that way) but I will be prepared if the unfortunate event occurs. I'm glad at least some people get their guns back.

Last edited by DroopyBassets75; 08-19-2017 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:37 PM
bocash3
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, TWO.

S&W pre-model 34 Kit Gun stolen by drunken, hateful stepfather in 1964.
My grandfather had given me that little jewel in 1958 when I
was age 9. RECOVERED: 2001 after deceased stepfather's brother
died in High Point NC, some 180 miles away. The gun had gone to
my stepfather's brother after the stepfather died in 1978. When the brother died, his wife knew that gun had a connection to me and made arrangements for my half-sister to pick it up and return to its rightful owner.
It is Back Home with me now. Law enforcement was never involved as I was only 15 when the sorry S _ B took the gun and told my mother: "You will never see this again." Of course my mother knew it was mine. I guess the joke is on him in spite of his having died so long ago !!!

S&W pre-model 36 Chief's Special, .38 Snub. Stolen from my mother
by a teen age boy in 1972 when my sister had a wild party while mother
was at work. RECOVERED: 1998 during a drug bust in Statesville NC, some 80 miles away. Statesville (NC) Police saw the serial number on a list and called Morganton NC Police Dept. They called me and I picked it up.
Since Mom died, that one is also in my possession. This is proof that the (Stolen Gun) data base does not expire. That little snubby was gone for 26 years.

Regardless of how you feel, I would definitely advise your insurance
company as well as law enforcement.

One never knows, but miracles do happen.

Last edited by bocash3; 08-19-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:11 PM
45flattop
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to 45flattop
Tale of two guns, one recovered, one not

Back in the very late 1960s a WWII vintage Colt 1911A1 that had belonged to
my father since it was issued to him was "confiscated" by an ignoramus of a
sheriff's deputy when he stopped me for speeding and rifled through our
luggage and the car stem to stern; the gun was in the trunk not accessible
from the passenger compartment but when the thug found it, he "appropriated"
it as evidence(I was 22 at the time fresh out of college) and I never saw the
gun again even though I reported the theft to that [email protected]#$%^&*'s supervisor
along with sworn witness statements from my two passengers taken and
notarized as to what had occurred. To this day I distrust all LEOs despite
the fact that I now have a CCW permit and have had it for decades. If some
thug with a badge wants what you have, its GONE.

The story of the gun that was recovered happened in Jackson MS, a well known
civil rights figure here was assassinated from ambush with a rifle and the perp
who was known to the local authorities was arrested and tried but a mistrial
happened and the case and the gun went cold as an iceberg for decades.
When the assistant DA later a judge who prosecuted that case died, the
gun was found in his house among others involved in numerous other cases.
Eventually the original owner from whom the perp had stolen it originally
got it back to the best of my knowledge and the assassin later died of old
age without ever being convicted despite bragging about what he ha done
so often that it was a local joke.

The ADA who had the stash of crime involved weapons in his house for so long
never was questioned by the ATF or local LEOs about what the hades he
thought he was doing with them, so much for being "well connected"
officially but at least when the story came out he lost his reelection bid
and is now just an unpleasant taste in the mouth memory.

Last edited by 45flattop; 08-20-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2017, 06:24 PM
singleshotcajun

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I do not think James Earl Ray had the wherewithal to be the assassin of MKL but there is no doubt in my mind that"ole Delay" is guilty of the assassination of Medgar Evers.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:02 AM
frogwalking
US Navy Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No. My S&W Highway Patrolman is still gone after 38 years. I would not wait on the return of a stolen gun.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:50 AM
aguila9
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've seen it happen in my thirty year LEO career, but I can use one hand to count them and still have fingers left over. Old cases before I got on the job to boot.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2018, 01:44 PM
DInghram
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Got it back

After I realized that it was missing, I tore through this house probably five times looking for it, to no avail. The other day, I was doing an unusual thing and found it where I had hidden it. There were some workers here one day and I had quick hidden it and then forgotten it completely. It would be too involved to

describe further, but it was still in its silicone sock in perfect condition. I went to local LEO and turned it in as found and he had it removed from NCIC. As we get older, those things can happen. I could have lived here for the rest of my life and never found that thing except for an unusual occurrence.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:41 AM
varmit hunter67
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I had several family firearms, and 1 had purchased stolen back in the 1961. I never thought about writing down the serial numbers of my a family guns. A Rem Mdl 11 built about 1911 by my dad's father, a single bore 20 ga. given to me by my great uncle, a 16 ga. H&R bolt action from my mother's father, and my beloved Win Mdl 62 that had a scope mounted on a side mount.

Then in 1965 I left my Ruger bearcat I bought in 1970 at my mother's house while I was in graduate school. The reason I didn't have it with me was because I had lost the cylinder pin, and had not ordered another. One of my brother's light fingered friends took it out of the bookcase and that was the end of that. I did report it to a friend who was with the MoHP, including the fact the cylinder pin was missing, but nothing ever came of it. I still pine over all those weapons.

More recently my son in Albany, Ga had a Taurus Millenium PT stolen from his PU in his driveway one night when he forgot to lock it. His daughter's car was also rummaged. The police found her purse sans credit cards, and the magazines for the 9mm in a culvert a couple houses down the street. The serial number was given in the police report. This was 4 years ago.

I had purchased a Millenium at the same time he did, and had a couple other 9mm.s so I gave him mine to replace the one lost. About a year ago, he and a business associate stopped at a QT in Columbus, GA. to get a Gator Aid. He used his key fob to lock the truck. They were only in the Quick Trip about 5 minutes. They noticed a vehicle leaving the truck stop in a bit of a hurry, but didn't think anything of it until they got back to the truck. It had been opened (probably by some type of scanner that copied the key code according to the police) and his pistol, two business pc laptops and some clothing had been taken. He called me for the SN which I gave him for the police report.

None of those articles have ever turned up.

VH
Old 06-11-2018, 10:37 AM
buntingmiester

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
ever recover a stolen gun?

Yes, when I lived in Volusia Co. Fl., we were burglarized and I lost a couple of firearms (JW-15 rimfire rifle ( CZ 452 clone) and a Colt National Match Gold Cup Commander Model ,Custom Edition), both were covered by my homeowners policy
w/rider.
10 years later I get a call from the same deputy that came out to the house to take our report, he was in the Seminole Co. PD. for some business and found my
Commander Gold Cup in the evidence room.
Said call my ins. co. and tell them it is recovered and see what they say
So I call, and they say it has been ten years,so just go pick it up, and keep the replacement firearm, they had replaced my Gold Cup Commander w/a Gold Cup Government Model. since they only made the Commander GCNTLN.Match as a special run.
For 10 years I had kept the original box/accessories/paperwork etc.,
just couldn't toss them for some reason, so everything worked out in a positive fashion.
Gave my son the Government Model, and never saw the JW-15 again
was a shooter too :mad
Had serial numbers for everything, glad for that
Now I also photo everything too.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:53 PM
Longhair1957
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had 5 rifles stolen from my house. 11 years later they came home.
Between Phx PD and Tucson PD.
Luckily Phx Pd contacted me first. About 1 Rifle. They told me we see that Tucson recovered the other four last year....... woah hold your horses!
I hadn’t been contacted by Tucson.

They gave me the number of the detectives that found them.
They said “good thing we heard from you, we were going to destroy them” I said nobody called me, they claimed they couldn’t find record of ownership. I said did you check NICS??? They claimed they did and saw nothing. But funny Phx found them.
Long story shortened. I drove to Tucson and got my grandpa’s antiques back! I’m 61 and these were my grandpa and great grandpa’s rifles and a shotgun.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:07 AM
Hovannes
US Army Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, a little S&W .22 Kit Gun, swiped from an apartment. I worked as a janitor during college and found it over a year later under some ground cover landscaping (Tams, IIRC), badly rusted. The perp must have tossed it. We returned the S&W to the owner and her dad submerged it in penetrating oil for a good long time. Eventually he was able to open up the cylinder and the bore was actually in pretty good shape!
Old 06-26-2018, 11:06 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I had a like new Colt Series 70 stolen in the late 1990s.

I checked with the local PD about 7 years later.

They let me know that they checked and found it in a New Mexico law enforcement agency and they had it for 6-1/2 years and when contacted they told my local PD that they were getting ready to destroy it. I told my local PD that they weren’t going to destroy it, they had been using it for 6-1/2 years without returning it. My local PD officer was upset that I would make that accusation. I asked him what else made sense for putting it in the system, but not returning it. I got it back a few days later. I had to get an appraisal and pay my insurance company who had paid me years earlier. I showed the local PD all the wear on the right grip panel from seat belt wear. The local PD was embarrassed by the obvious law enforcement use. “Homie” only had it on the street for less than 6 months and he didn’t open carry it against a seat belt.

Using stolen property and not returning it isn’t cool. I suggest if you have had a valuable firearm stolen, have your local PD check for it every decade.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:14 PM
2011ERIC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ever recover a stolen gun?

I had sixteen guns stolen in 2008 and only one was returned to me in 2013. A Browning Buckmark Bullseye Target. It was recovered while trying to be sold in a pawn shop. I had all of the serial numbers and supposedly they were entered into NCIC. I talked to my insurance company and was told that I had to have a separate policy for guns and jewelry, besides my homeowners policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by 2011ERIC; 08-21-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:07 AM
big_o_tom

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had a ruger mk1(I think)and a mkII 22/45 that my dad gave me. One of my friends was going through a divorce and having a real bad time with it. I invited him over for the weekend to go squirrel hunting and shoot guns. A month later I found out he had stolen my two ruger pistols, the m1 was stolen from him and he used the 22/45 to kill himself. I got the 22/45 back but haven't heard anything else about the mk1. It's been about 4 years and nothing.