Old 02-24-2014, 08:32 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlysAlot View Post
Here's mine... picked it up at Tulsa last November
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=526572
And that one is a gem.....oh so nice....
Old 02-24-2014, 08:59 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
thanks for the photos , its an inspiration , now i need to find one of these , and ill take a blonde or a brunette if it looks like one of these posted examples , they are so beautiful ,
Old 02-24-2014, 09:48 PM
chuckbiscuits

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by webfoot56 View Post
You must have a exceptional savage 29. I have had 2 0f those savage rifles, I do not own them anymore. Worse pump action rifle I have ever used. My Remington 121, Remington 12, Winchester 06, 62, 61. and trombone are far superior.
web,
I don't own a Savage 29, just the ones I've handled felt good. What didn't you like about yours? Accuracy? Reliability? Durability? I have never shot one, nor a Rem 12, 121 or 572. I have shot a 1906 and a Taurus 62 replica. I would love to hear your experiences.
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2014, 09:50 PM
chuckbiscuits

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just22s View Post
So how do you get a general idea of date?? I picked one up in 2010 for $100.00 sn31xxx and would be interested in man date.
$100? Dang! What kind of shape is it in?
Old 02-24-2014, 09:52 PM
chuckbiscuits

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pump .22s View Post
Very nice!
Sadly, it's a "20 footer". Any closer than that and you can see the rust and cracked stock...
Old 02-25-2014, 05:40 AM
Just22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
$100? Dang! What kind of shape is it in
It's in nice shape. I bought off an older gentleman that was moving and didn't want to bring all his guns with hi. Got a couple nice deals.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:42 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Re the Savage 29....webfoot56, you must have gotten two bad examples. I have owned a number of these and currently have several. Certainly if they are worn out or have mechanical issues as any gun might, they could be aggravating. But I like mine....not quiet up there with the Winchester 61 or the Trombone, but I rank them right there with any of the rest.

I have found that a high percentage of the Savages....assuming they are in good condition, have quiet good accuracy for that type of gun. In my experience they tend to be more accurate than the Trombone, or the Remingtons.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:08 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (92)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbiscuits View Post
web,
I don't own a Savage 29, just the ones I've handled felt good. What didn't you like about yours? Accuracy? Reliability? Durability? I have never shot one, nor a Rem 12, 121 or 572. I have shot a 1906 and a Taurus 62 replica. I would love to hear your experiences.
The 2 savage rifles had mechanical issues. Parts are hard to come by I just got fed up with them. I have a little rossi pump and it is a Winchester clone.That rifle is a blast to shoot rimfire targets. Life is too short to have a rimfire rifle around that does not work right. I am partial to the Remington 121 as I had one when I was a young boy . That rifle went with me coon hunting and into the fields.I really like the winchester 61,too bad they are so expensive.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:22 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (92)
Quote:
Re the Savage 29....webfoot56, you must have gotten two bad examples. I have owned a number of these and currently have several. Certainly if they are worn out or have mechanical issues as any gun might, they could be aggravating. But I like mine....not quiet up there with the Winchester 61 or the Trombone, but I rank them right there with any of the rest.

I have found that a high percentage of the Savages....assuming they are in good condition, have quiet good accuracy for that type of gun. In my experience they tend to be more accurate than the Trombone, or the Remingtons.
Well yes I did have 2 bad examples and tried to get parts for them to get them working. But it was not to be. So down the road they went. I am glad you have several savage 29 rifles and like them. But since I have owned 2 and gave them a fair chance it would be stupid for me to buy another.
Old 09-23-2014, 01:20 PM
bromancer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have recently got myself a trombone. However when I took it to the range I had serious feeding issues. The cartridge does not get pushed up high enough so the claw can grab it, this results in that the cartridge gets pushed in bellow the chamber.

I noticed that when dissambled I can get it to feed proper by putting pressure on the elevator. I have searched everywhere on the internet and nobody else seems to be having this problem. I think the rifle is from early 40's. The gun is clean and works properly otherwise. I did break the spring that pushes on the slide lock, so the pump action works without the use of slide lock. This should not be related to the feeding issue.

Does anyone have a clue what the problem might be? I really want this gun to work! Any help is highly appreciated!
Old 09-26-2014, 06:34 AM
JRexA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got a FN Browning Trombone 32 years back, when I turned 18.
Except for the use I had done with it,"borrowing it" before turning 18, it was NIB, including the original box,

It was from the early 1950'ies as it was from my grandfathers hardware store, that was closed around 1955.

Before I got it officially, I had used some old ammo, that my dad stored with the rifle, and one of them had been a dud, and I got a "sack" in the barrel, around 2" from the muzzle.
I got it cut down, front sight moved back and recrowned, so that the sack was gone, and at the same time I got it grooved for a scope.

I Really loved that little pump, but unfortunately it was stolen 20 years ago.

I am Danish, and at that time I lived in Denmark.

Now I live in Greenland, and I happened on another FN Trombone, but that one has lived a harsh life. It looks very worn and accuracy sucks. But It functions flawlessly,

I can insert a .22LR round into the muzzle, so that most of the bullet goes into the mouth of the barrel.
I am thinking about having the barrel set back " and recrowned.
But I don't know if " is enough.
But " will still look decent, without moving the front sight.

Last edited by JRexA; 09-26-2014 at 06:41 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 09-26-2014, 07:09 AM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Perhaps a candidate for a reline?
Old 09-26-2014, 07:09 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bromancer View Post
I have recently got myself a trombone. However when I took it to the range I had serious feeding issues. The cartridge does not get pushed up high enough so the claw can grab it, this results in that the cartridge gets pushed in bellow the chamber.

I noticed that when dissambled I can get it to feed proper by putting pressure on the elevator. I have searched everywhere on the internet and nobody else seems to be having this problem. I think the rifle is from early 40's. The gun is clean and works properly otherwise. I did break the spring that pushes on the slide lock, so the pump action works without the use of slide lock. This should not be related to the feeding issue.

Does anyone have a clue what the problem might be? I really want this gun to work! Any help is highly appreciated!
Don't know if you ever got a reply on your other post concerning this....

The number of folks who own one of these in this country is relatively small. And fewer still have expertise in smithing these guns, so I'm not surprised you failed to get much response, as those who have had the type of problem you describe has to be a very small number. My advice is to take the gun down and go over things very carefully determining in your mind how the gun is supposed to function. Then zero in on those parts of the action involved with your problem area and look for damaged or worn parts. It's going to be a process of elimination.

With guns like this, you are going to have to know a good gunsmith or else have some mechanical aptitude to do it yourself.

Good luck.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:54 PM
bromancer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Don't know if you ever got a reply on your other post concerning this....

The number of folks who own one of these in this country is relatively small. And fewer still have expertise in smithing these guns, so I'm not surprised you failed to get much response, as those who have had the type of problem you describe has to be a very small number. My advice is to take the gun down and go over things very carefully determining in your mind how the gun is supposed to function. Then zero in on those parts of the action involved with your problem area and look for damaged or worn parts. It's going to be a process of elimination.

With guns like this, you are going to have to know a good gunsmith or else have some mechanical aptitude to do it yourself.

Good luck.
Actually I figured it out! What I did was cutting the tips of a q-tip and placed the pipe where the elevatator slides, same place where the hammer is. Makes it feed 80% of the time so I will replace the plastic with something made of metal so the cartridge gets fed with propper height. So nothing is impossible with some thinking
Old 09-26-2014, 07:28 PM
JRexA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here is some pictures of my project gun.

I have recrowned it, removing about 3 mm of the bore, and now the bore is tight.

I don't remember what I used for the cold bluing, but it will get a new treatment, sometime during this winter.
The cold bluing is 7-8years old, and it haven't been used much, in that time.
I usually take my BL-22, when I go four RocK Ptarmigan

Scope is just a Cheapo Tasco 4x
But I don't think a large modern scope looks good, on this little rifle.

Last edited by JRexA; 09-26-2014 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Getting dropbox links to work :)