Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-06-2019, 07:56 AM
Bronco72
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Feeding Problems

Howdy,

I have a friend who asked me about a feeding problem with his Ruger 10/22.
He says that one or two times in a mag he will get the a jam where the new cartridge will "scrunch" and jam against the breach. I figured I would put it to the minds here for possible causes. Thanks in advance

John
Old 04-06-2019, 08:17 AM
crackedcornish
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
some info on the rifle might help
Old 04-06-2019, 02:18 PM
Bronco72
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ruger 10/22, nothing special about it

Old 04-06-2019, 04:19 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
So it may be a new gun, or it may be an older gun with a couple thousand rounds through it, and the problem just started.
It may happen with one particular ammo, or everything he puts in it. Or he may be shooting crappy ammo.
It may be all OEM parts, or it may have a few aftermarket parts.
Who knows, it's just a 10/22 that won't feed.
Old 04-06-2019, 05:38 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yep, need more info, what was he shooting? What magazine?

How old is the rifle? The magazine?

Is this a new gun to him? New magazine to him?

How long since the rifle was cleaned? How about the magazine?

Did it happen on multiple magazines? Does it only happen on one?

Is it stove piping loaded or empty rounds?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2019, 07:09 AM
Rick59
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am experiencing the same issue with a new build using all take off parts,and determined that the barrel a 22" SS was out of spec some how.I put this barrel on two other rifles and had the same issue,At first I swapped bolts,charging handles and different barrels in the reciever I'm using, So basically ruled out all other parts,A different barrel worked.So needless to say the barrel is being shipped back for a replacement.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:47 AM
wadvocat
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Skype™ to wadvocat
Maybe this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco72 View Post
Howdy,

I have a friend who asked me about a feeding problem with his Ruger 10/22.
He says that one or two times in a mag he will get the a jam where the new cartridge will "scrunch" and jam against the breach. I figured I would put it to the minds here for possible causes. Thanks in advance

John
I had a similar issue yesterday. I had 4 rounds in a row tip up when coming out of the Ruger 10 round rotary mag and hit the top of the barrel breach. I was shooting Eley Force. The lube on this ammo feels a little gritty. I think small particles of a hard wax is causing this. I emptied the mag and refilled it with 10 rounds of Geco Semi Auto. These cycled flawlessly. I then refilled the same mag with 10 rounds of Eley Force, and they cycled flawlessly. I suspect the 10 rounds of Geco "cleaned" the mag. So, I think mag cleanliness and the resulting friction the round experiences is one contributing factor. The spring tension in the rotary magazine can also aggravate this. If too tight, more friction, but if too loose, the rounds may not be "proud enough" for the bolt to pick them up. I am tired of taking my mags apart to clean them, so I am going to try the Hornady one shot dry lube to clean them while still assembled.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:29 AM
Bronco72
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
After learning some questions to ask from here!
Not a new rifle , has put up with issue for a long time.
I think he put on a Ruger bull barrel when he first got it.
Problem happens with different ammo, different magazines. Rifle is clean, chamber is clean, rifle is lubed. All Ruger parts.
So I told him to call Ruger and see what they say!
Will ask if he has original barrel, if so, change that and see what happens. Before he calls Ruger!
Old 04-11-2019, 09:45 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If he put on a bull barrel then hed have to change the stock. No thinking on that , yes or no. Its hard to answer questions when facts are amorphous.

But most likely , his action screw,that the big one that hold the gun on to the stock is too tightt or too loose. Probable too loose. Get a fat boy torque wrench and see what its torqued at, then go up or down in pressure to see if it keeps happening.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:03 PM
arrowshooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I ran into the exact same issue for the first time ever using this ammo/rifle combo and determine that the mags had way too much "wax" lube build up in the front and was not allowing the boolits to properly slide up into the chamber. Cleaned them all last night, added another 1/4 turn on the spring for good measure and have not shot it yet to determine success. I had started the day with Rem Golden Bullet which I rarely have issue with, then loaded each mag (10) with one Aguila Short loaded midway in the mag just to see how they shot, then followed up with my go to CCI Tactical and started having trouble right off the bat. Figured either the Aguila left way too much lube behind (noticed that with the LR), or this batch of CCI was over lubed doing the same. I'll take it to the indoor range tomorrow for a check.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:12 PM
n2omike
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Ammo choice can play a huge role. Crap ammo jams a LOT more than midrange stuff. Lower end Federal, and about anything Winchester will have you wanting to toss your gun into the nearest creek.

Try some decent CCI, etc and see if that makes things better.

A GOOD cleaning and One Shot Dry Lube will also help.

Good Luck!