Scope Power Question - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-22-2019, 09:30 AM
BlindFaith429

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Scope Power Question

Setting up a light-weight rifle for 50 yard target shooting, and eventually an Appleseed rifle. I want to put a low-power variable scope on it, but dont know what power range to go with. This rifle is based off the 10/22.

Part of me likes the look of the 1-4 powers (like the safari rifle scopes), but I know a 2-7 or 3-9 will be better if I want to try stretching out to 100 yards with this same rifle.

Since this will also double as an Appleseed shoot rifle, I'd like to buy an appropriate scope that will work for that as well.

So here's my question:

1-4 power?
2-7 power?
3-9 power?

Would like to hear from people who have used a scope at an Appleseed shoot, and what your thoughts are.

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2019, 10:36 AM
pblanc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have shot at a few 25 meter Appleseed events and one KD Appleseed event. I used a Ruger 10/22 for the 25 meter events. I will occasionally go to the range and shoot some Appleseed AQT or redcoat targets at 25 m that have the scaled silhouettes to simulate 100, 200, 300, and 400 yard "D" targets.

You will probably get quite a few different opinions regarding optimal scope power and we all have differing visual acuity. I will tell you what I have used and what my preferences are.

At age 67 my visual acuity does not allow me to shoot with as much accuracy as I would like using good quality iron sights. I can do a little better with a good quality red dot sight as they do not require the precise sight alignment that front and rear iron sights do. But I can really do quite a bit better with some magnification.

So I use a rifle scope. I have used two different ones, both Hawke Optics Vantage models with adjustable objectives. And I would recommend a scope with an adjustable objective or adjustable parallax correction for 25 yards/meters. Not only will they reduce the potential for parallax error, they will also allow you to more sharply focus the target silhouettes.

The two scopes I have used are a fixed magnification 4X32 and a variable magnification 3-9x40. The fixed magnification scope is a bit lighter and more compact. For the scaled silhouette targets, 4X power is more than enough (for me) for the 100 yard silhouettes, very ample for the 200 yard silhouettes, sufficient for the 300 yard silhouettes, but leaves me wanting a little more magnification for the tiny 400 yard silhouettes or the "Morgan's shingle" rectangle on the redcoat targets. I can definitely shoot those a little more easily using the higher magnification scope.

Using the 3-9X scope, I leave it set on lowest magnification for the 100 yard silhouettes. Anything higher just magnifies my wobble too much and does not improve my visualization of the target silhouette. I will then progressively dial up the magnification on the scope for the smaller targets using something like 4 1/2X for the 200 yard targets, 6X for the 300 yard targets, and 8-9X for the 400 yard silhouettes.

This works well for me. I can hold pretty "hard" in prone position with a sling having cleaned stage 4 on the AQT a few times so 8 or 9X is not "too much" for me, although it might be for some. I have not shot with a 2-7X variable magnification scope, but I am pretty sure that I would be happy with one so far as the 25 yard/meter Appleseed shoots are concerned. For shooting at 50 yards I definitely prefer the higher magnification that a 3-9X scope provides.

So my recommendation would be either a 2-7X or a 3-9X scope with AO, although I do like the simplicity of the 4X fixed power scope, and if my eyes were just a little better, I would probably go with that for 25 meter events.

Someone will now be along shortly to tell you that top CMP and NRA high power shooters are limited by the rules to 4 1/2 power scopes and can make incredible shots out to 600 yards or beyond with them so that is all you need. Quite true about the top high power shooters, but I ain't one of them

Last edited by pblanc; 04-22-2019 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:04 AM
rwadley
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (20)
I have shot both 4x and 2-7. I prefer the 2-7, however I would gladly shoot a 4x. Definitely go with some sort of parallax adjustment. I haven't shot an AQT with a 3-9, but totally would. I personally like a smaller objective (28-32mm) on my rimfire rifles. The Mueller APV 2-7 is a great scope for the money. I may get the Hawke the next time I am in the market for a fixed magnification scope, though.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:26 PM
HectorFuego
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For an Apppleseed shoot 4X should be plenty. If you start increasing the magnification you will find yourself chasing the cross hairs. At longer ranges the limiting factor may be you, your rifle, or ammo, not the scope. Here's a 5 round group I shot at 100 yards with a Marlin 795 equipped with a 4X scope. Granted it was a perfect day to shoot and I was using a range bag as a rest, but considering the rifle and the Aguila ammo, I have to ask myself if a higher magnification scope would have made a difference.

Hector
Old 04-22-2019, 01:13 PM
n2omike
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
As long as your scope will adjust to around 4X, you'll be fine. Don't over think it. When it comes to Appleseed, preparation and reliability is key... Scopes fall very low on the list.

1. Get all your gear together.
2. Clean your weapon.
3. Take the gun to a local range and fire only enough to sight it in at 25 meters.
4. Do NOT clean it.
5. Take it to Appleseed fresh from the range, ready to go.
6. Focus on relaxation and technique. Try not to get excited or tense.
7. Enjoy!!!

You'll need an Appleseed spec sling, shooting mat, long sleeves, elbow pads, eye protection, ear plugs, hat with a brim in case of sun, brick of same ammo the gun was sighted in with... and some minor tools, spray gun cleaner, and a boresnake. I like Dry Lube for .22 semi-autos. Being dry, it doesn't attract and hold the crud that causes the gun to eventually start jamming. One Shot gun cleaner and lube is a good one! If you have an extra gun, bring it along as well. Can save your weekend if the primary one isn't cooperating.

Good Luck!
Old 04-22-2019, 03:48 PM
navybowhunter
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you struggle on AQT with 1x, 9x is going to nauseate you.

That simple.

But, if you can hold it well......9x can teach you A TON about your natural point of aim.

I shot my perfect 250 on 9X for each stage. It helped me better than 4x.

So....if ya wanna learn if your muscling the rifle 9X

If you want to prove to yourself your position is solid, 3X.

3-9 but make %%%% sure it has an adjustable objective. The Nikon Prostaff Rimfire Target model is perfect.

R/
Chris

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2019, 06:46 AM
BlindFaith429

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
What about something like a fixed 4X with an AO?
Old 04-23-2019, 07:15 AM
navybowhunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindFaith429 View Post

If you want a dedicated 25/50 yard rifle....4X is fine

I had one on my rifle....and have since removed it.

I shoot my Appleseed rifle (3x9 with AO) from 25 to 200 yards.

4X is not ideal for 200 yards in my opinion.

As your HOLD tightens, more magnification is your friend, in my opinion.

That is why I recommend 3-9.

Rimfire Sporters are limited to 7X (I think), they will still allow you to compete, but the adjustment ring must be taped to the max allowable magnification for the match.

No big deal.

Were I you (I am not)....I would get a 20MOA base, and a 3x9 AO scope. 20 MOA will allow you the option to shoot to 200 yards, for me it is a no brainer to add that mount.

BUT....if you want a 25/50/100 yard rifle....4X is fine. I just do not like em.

R/
Chris
Old 04-23-2019, 07:20 AM
navybowhunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
This post may help also:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1154103

Hold Hard and Favor Center!

R/
Chris
Old 04-24-2019, 05:51 AM
BlindFaith429

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by navybowhunter View Post
If you want a dedicated 25/50 yard rifle....4X is fine

I had one on my rifle....and have since removed it.

I shoot my Appleseed rifle (3x9 with AO) from 25 to 200 yards.

4X is not ideal for 200 yards in my opinion.

As your HOLD tightens, more magnification is your friend, in my opinion.

That is why I recommend 3-9.

Rimfire Sporters are limited to 7X (I think), they will still allow you to compete, but the adjustment ring must be taped to the max allowable magnification for the match.

No big deal.

Were I you (I am not)....I would get a 20MOA base, and a 3x9 AO scope. 20 MOA will allow you the option to shoot to 200 yards, for me it is a no brainer to add that mount.

BUT....if you want a 25/50/100 yard rifle....4X is fine. I just do not like em.

R/
Chris
Thanks again for the info. I was bidding on a mint Burris Mini 4x scope last night, with an AO. Thought that would be a nice, compact, lightweight scope for my rifle. I did not win it though, so I think I am going to take your advice and look at a 3-9 AO style scope.

Thanks again!
Old 04-24-2019, 08:06 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Iirc you can find a 4-12 with AO much the same size as a 3-9 and wont regret it.
My 2(?)-7 Hawke is smaller and I like it for the 10/22 for everything I have used that rifle for.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:10 PM
Fynn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like my Leupold VX Freedom 3-9 EFR and wouldn’t bother with anything with less magnification unless it were dead cheap or free.
My eyesight has deteriorated noticeably over the last few years but honestly don’t use more than 6x for 25-50 yards for AQT’s and CMP rimfire sporter.
By the way, if you think you ever might be tempted to try Metallic Silhouette, you’ll need a LOT more than 9x, but you’ll definitely get to hang out with the real hard holders.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:49 PM
navybowhunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Thanks again for the info. I was bidding on a mint Burris Mini 4x scope last night, with an AO. Thought that would be a nice, compact, lightweight scope for my rifle. I did not win it though, so I think I am going to take your advice and look at a 3-9 AO style scope.

Thanks again!
Here is a review I did on the Nikon 3x9 AO Prostaff a few months back

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...3&share_type=t

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2019, 03:57 PM
navybowhunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
I like my Leupold VX Freedom 3-9 EFR and wouldnt bother with anything with less magnification unless it were dead cheap or free.

My eyesight has deteriorated noticeably over the last few years but honestly dont use more than 6x for 25-50 yards for AQTs and CMP rimfire sporter.

By the way, if you think you ever might be tempted to try Metallic Silhouette, youll need a LOT more than 9x, but youll definitely get to hang out with the real hard holders.
Fynn,

Man I really want to try some of that Metallic Silhouette

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-31-2019, 09:37 AM
Kennebago

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Late to the party but the old rule of 1x magnification per 100 yards holds up pretty well on the AQT.

I mostly shoot a bolt action with a 4-16x scope. I leave it at 4x for the first three stages and dial up to 6x if I'm trying to maximize score on Stage 4. I rarely go higher, but I'm also shooting a varmint dot so my reticle gets to be smaller than a .22 caliber hole as I dial magnification up.

I shot a fixed 4x for a while on a semi and it worked very well. 1-4x would be fine, provided you aren't fighting your scope at max magnification (i.e. you have a decent optic).