Spotting scope help! - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:19 PM
C.C.
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Spotting scope help!

I went to the range last week, to do some sight-in, and found my 9X Nikon scope or my 8X binoculars were sort of helpful at 25 yards. But that's not much of a challenge, so I will probably be shooting at 50-75 yards...the range doesn't allow .22 Rimfire on the 100 and 200 yard ranges.

I figure that 100 yards or less will be my absolute maximum range...at 80, the eyes are not what they used to be. But, I would like a scope that would be sufficient for birding, too.

Now, I would love to have a premium scope, but my budget is somewhere in the neighborhood of $200+-, which I know is not a very good neighborhood.
I need the following features:
Good eye relief
A 60-65 mm objective or better for light gathering ability
Not really lightweight , for steadiness when I touch the scope.
good sharpness

I would like:
BAK4 prisms
fully coated
angled eyepiece

At one time, fellow on the web site JarHeadTop offered a Konus 80mm scope to his customers at a good price, but they were all big bore shooters.

Konus is a name that I hadn't heard of before, but could this or other "new name" scopes provide good quality and resolution at a reasonable price?

2 spotters I have had before both disappointed.So, I am probably going to have to settle for "reasonable." Can anyone suggest a good economy spotting scope?
Any help will be appreciated.

Thanx
Old 04-22-2019, 12:41 PM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Howdy C.C., here's a Konus with all the features you want including decent eye relief for $199 and free shipping.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...BI%3A514&smp=Y

Or if you're an Amazon Prime member here's one I wouldn't be afraid to try knowing I could send it back if I wasn't happy.

https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Bi...ateway&sr=8-11

Picking out 1/4" holes in a target in daylight isn't a very demanding application. A lot of times a decent rifle scope is all you really need. Birding, especially in low light conditions is a different matter but there's no reason one of the two shown above wouldn't work satisfactorily for that application too in good light.

While more money does equal better optics it's a rapidly diminishing scale of benefit versus cost for most of us as we climb the glass ladder.

Congratulations on making it to 80 and still having fun!

Frank
Old 04-22-2019, 03:35 PM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
For 100 yard work, many of the cheaper spotters will work fine. We've been using an old cheap Bushnell for years for spotting up to 200 yards for 223 up to 375.. Once focused, even the cheaper scopes will probably work in good light conditions and if you use the right targets. Even good scopes have a hard time picking out small holes in a black background unless the light is perfect.

See if the place you're shopping at will allow you to take the scope outside to see if you can spot very small details at the ranges you plan to shoot. This might be tough if you are buying used, especially over the internet obviously so try to find someone close by so you can have hands-on before plunking down your money.

Bob

Old 04-22-2019, 08:56 PM
newbie2

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have viewed a couple of Konus at the range and they are decent, but are very large. You might have to up your $$ to get what you will be happy with. Keep an eye out at Natchez for sales. The are always putting loss leaders out there. When I say keep an eye out, check virtually every day.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:55 AM
ms6852
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You mentioned that you have had 2 spotters in the past and they were both disappointing and now you want to settle for a 3rd spotter. If you added up the money spent on both spotters and the money you now have you would have a decent spotter that would satisfy your shooting trips to the range.

I highly recommend that you practice some self restraint and save enough money to buy a decent scope in the $300 to $500 range. You settle again and when you get older and your vision starts to diminish due to age you will wish you had a better scope. Stop falling in the same hole you fell into twice in the past expecting a better outcome...it won't happen. On a hot day the cheap scopes will fail you miserably at the longer distances.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:28 AM
Basstar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C. View Post
I went to the range last week, to do some sight-in, and found my 9X Nikon scope or my 8X binoculars were sort of helpful at 25 yards. But that's not much of a challenge, so I will probably be shooting at 50-75 yards...the range doesn't allow .22 Rimfire on the 100 and 200 yard ranges.

I figure that 100 yards or less will be my absolute maximum range...at 80, the eyes are not what they used to be. But, I would like a scope that would be sufficient for birding, too.

Now, I would love to have a premium scope, but my budget is somewhere in the neighborhood of $200+-, which I know is not a very good neighborhood.
I need the following features:
Good eye relief
A 60-65 mm objective or better for light gathering ability
Not really lightweight , for steadiness when I touch the scope.
good sharpness

I would like:
BAK4 prisms
fully coated
angled eyepiece

At one time, fellow on the web site JarHeadTop offered a Konus 80mm scope to his customers at a good price, but they were all big bore shooters.

Konus is a name that I hadn't heard of before, but could this or other "new name" scopes provide good quality and resolution at a reasonable price?

2 spotters I have had before both disappointed.So, I am probably going to have to settle for "reasonable." Can anyone suggest a good economy spotting scope?
Any help will be appreciated.

Thanx
C.C. I've been helped here so much perhaps now is my time that I can pay it forward.

When I was looking for a spotting scope to shoot CMP style matches, naturally I researched my buying decision to death just like I do most of my "serious" purchases.

Of course many of the more serious shooters use the Kowa scopes but I was not willing to spend the money those cost.

In doing my research I noticed that of the competitors who did not use Kowa, a large percentage of them use the Konus.

I analyzed the Konus against several other brands both similar in price and slightly more and when it was all over, I couldn't find a scope that had better reviews and features for the money.

The Celestron scopes also had good reviews and are very affordable but I purchased the KonusSpot 80.

I purchased the angled eyepiece with the rotating collar so I can use it standing, from the bench, or when shooting prone.

Thus far I'm well pleased and in fact we use it at home as well to check out hawks and other critters when the opportunity arises.

Also both the Celestron and the Konus are often on sale at O.P. and other retailers.

Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by Basstar; 04-23-2019 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:40 AM
gr8fuldoug
RFC Sponsor

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We posted about the Konus KonuSpot-70 20x-60x70 Spotting Scope#7121B reduced from $209.99 to only $149.99 which I think would be perfect for you

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1157277

Doug
Camera Land
516-217-1000
Please visit our website @ www.cameralandny.com

Old 04-23-2019, 01:49 PM
Basstar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug View Post
We posted about the Konus KonuSpot-70 20x-60x70 Spotting Scope#7121B reduced from $209.99 to only $149.99 which I think would be perfect for you

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1157277
This looks like a very nice buy right here.