Ruger Mark II Gov't Model - Blued - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:58 AM
huskerbob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ruger Mark II Gov't Model - Blued

Came across this gun being sold by a private seller who's bought it new in 1995. He said he's put about 1,500 rounds through it and the condition is excellent. He's selling complete with the original box along with all original paperwork and accessories.

He's asking $450. I already have the Ruger Standard & Mark III Stainless Target model and wouldn't mind having this one in the safe also.

He's telling me the Mark II Gov't model is rather rare. I don't know if that's correct or if $450 is a reasonable price. Again, it's the blued not the SS version.

Your thoughts will be appreciated!
Old 04-20-2019, 09:51 AM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Prices tend to vary by region

There should be two manuals.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:55 AM
rosscoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
That's a real bargain @ $450.

Old 04-20-2019, 11:13 AM
[email protected]
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Several SS Government models have sold recently on Gunbroker for $450 range but the box seems to be very important to some and will bring more.

!f you are going to shoot it, I do not see paying the premium for the box, as I see some of these have $100+ prices. Several magazines and a lot of ammo for that money.
Totally personal preference, and I see and own both type.

All of the Government models came with a target with the s/n written, that is also a premium item, more so than the yellow/black box( IMHO) as the box is not s/n to the gun, just the plastic boxes were.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:48 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I have found my blued Gov't Target to be exceptionally accurate. Here's a 50 yard target shot with a Nikon rimfire rifle scope. Installing the rail required removing the rear sight, but no D&T.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:40 PM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Rare , probably not. As common as most models not really but available often enough to take them out of the collector value unless they are unfired with box and paper work. They usually are good shooting guns . If you want it and have the 450 buy it. Is that a good price , I don't think so , just on the high end of average.
Old 04-20-2019, 04:21 PM
bangordan

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStacy View Post
Rare , probably not. As common as most models not really but available often enough to take them out of the collector value unless they are unfired with box and paper work. They usually are good shooting guns . If you want it and have the 450 buy it. Is that a good price , I don't think so , just on the high end of average.
Agree. Had one and foolishly sold it, now looking for another one. I am one that prefers the correct box if I'm going to shell out $$ for the gun.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:07 PM
benniesdad

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That seems to be a fair price especially for sought after model. The ones I have seen pop up for sale in my area are in that general price range.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:04 AM
CoolJJ

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Although it depends on the local market, the price seems a little high. I would pass. In my area a MK II stainless would go for $400 to $425. A govt blued, no matter the condition shouldn't go for more than $400.

Are you going to shoot it? I hope so, I don't see any point in these being collector items.

Just my opinion, but I would buy one as a shooter and wouldn't pay more than $375 for it. These pistols are not rare and shouldn't be treated as such. It's just me, but a pistol like this shouldn't be bought to just sit in a safe and not be shot in an attempt to make it a good condition collector. Sit it in the safe to pretend it is valuable and going to get more valuable while I sit on my butt twiddling my thumbs? No way. The value in that pistol is the fun I would have shooting the darn thing. That fun could be had with a better price. If you really want it, bargain the price down to $400 or lower, or else pass.

Just for reference, I got this for $350 from my LGS. https://imgur.com/gallery/vLpDYOh It came with the box and papers which I tossed. I upgraded some parts and I'm going to shoot the hell out of the thing.

Last edited by CoolJJ; 04-21-2019 at 12:11 AM.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:49 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The price is not that far out of line. If the pistol is in immaculate condition complete with the box and papers and if you are happy with a blued steel pistol, I would be buying it. While it may be true that they are not exceedingly rare, you wont come across one all that often. You won't remember what you paid for it very long.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:54 AM
gunsisme
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Hand him $425 he will probably take it?
Old 04-22-2019, 12:31 AM
45flattop

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to 45flattop
SAD that you tossed the box and papers but nice find for that price

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolJJ View Post
Although it depends on the local market, the price seems a little high. I would pass. In my area a MK II stainless would go for $400 to $425. A govt blued, no matter the condition shouldn't go for more than $400.

Are you going to shoot it? I hope so, I don't see any point in these being collector items.

Just my opinion, but I would buy one as a shooter and wouldn't pay more than $375 for it. These pistols are not rare and shouldn't be treated as such. It's just me, but a pistol like this shouldn't be bought to just sit in a safe and not be shot in an attempt to make it a good condition collector. Sit it in the safe to pretend it is valuable and going to get more valuable while I sit on my butt twiddling my thumbs? No way. The value in that pistol is the fun I would have shooting the darn thing. That fun could be had with a better price. If you really want it, bargain the price down to $400 or lower, or else pass.

Just for reference, I got this for $350 from my LGS. https://imgur.com/gallery/vLpDYOh It came with the box and papers which I tossed. I upgraded some parts and I'm going to shoot the hell out of the thing.
I wager that you could have offered the papers and box for sale here and gotten
an overall lower price than you paid, oh well.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:31 PM
CoolJJ

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45flattop View Post
I wager that you could have offered the papers and box for sale here and gotten
an overall lower price than you paid, oh well.
It's not gone yet, I suppose I could dig it out. I was looking at the serial numbers and it appears this was produced somewhere between 1984 and 1985? It's in pretty good condition considering the age. Must not have been shot very much. Had a decent trigger out of the box too. I was thinking of painting it with duracoat. Should I or shouldn't I?
Old 04-22-2019, 05:02 PM
valvestem
US Coast Guard Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
IMO that is a good price. I bought a well worn one a couple of weeks ago for $400.00, with a factory box and manual but no papers. Mine had been fitted with a rail and a BSA sight which I took off, but then had to come up with a rear adjustable sight. Luckily the front sight was still on it as they seem to be scarce as hen's teeth as I am finding out looking for one for a MK10 Target.
I have had the Government Target at the range already, and it is a pleasure to shoot with the long heavy barrel and OEM style sights.
BTW, this is the first Government Target Model I have seen in my area in two years.

Last edited by valvestem; 04-22-2019 at 05:04 PM. Reason: add
Old 04-22-2019, 06:51 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
i would pay that - i kinda like the blue ones - not that i dont like the SS , i just prefer the blue ones , 84-85 would be also to my liking , i think you should go for it