Old 04-22-2019, 02:11 PM
toyodaaddict

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdas View Post
My instructions for removing and installing the extractor can be found here:
http://guns.dsttr.com/BuckmarkSubass...html#extractor

Let me know if you have any questions about it, or if you can think of way to improve the instructions.

Dave
Wow, thank you for the link. It looks like just about all the info one could ever need on the BuckMark
I didn't see anything in the instructions about having to do any "fitting" to the extractor so I guess I can stop worrying about that. That was my biggest concern about changing it myself.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:16 PM
toyodaaddict

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
UPDATE

I went for a hike over the weekend and much to my surprise the pistol ran fine. It will not hand cycle at all but I ran about 120 rounds through it. CCI standard, Blazer, and Aguila super extra HV all functioned fine. I'm guessing "If it ain't broke don't fix it" Huh?
I will order an extractor from Volquartsen or Tandemkross to have on hand. With the instructions supplied by rdas I should be able to swap it out, if it starts giving me trouble.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:13 PM
rdas
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyodaaddict View Post
UPDATE

I went for a hike over the weekend and much to my surprise the pistol ran fine. It will not hand cycle at all but I ran about 120 rounds through it. CCI standard, Blazer, and Aguila super extra HV all functioned fine. I'm guessing "If it ain't broke don't fix it" Huh?
Well, since the Buckmark is blowback-operated, this isn't too surprising. The force of the expanding gases pushes the shell casing out of the chamber, the extractor does not "pull" it out. The casing is pushed backwards with enough force to cycle the slide. In that scenario, the extractor probably provides a little reliability by holding the rim steady until it hits the ejector wire, but the primary function of the extractor is as a pivot point... when the left side of the casing hits the ejector wire, the casing pivots around the extractor claw tip, and goes flying out the right side of the gun.

Extracting unspent (or dummy) cases by hand-cycling is much more demanding of the extractor, because the extractor is actually pulling the case out of the chamber (and then also acting as the pivot point when the left side of the case hits the ejector wire).

IMHO, being able to extract a live round from the chamber is a safety issue. How else do you *safely* unload the gun? I don't consider putting my hand in front of the muzzle of a loaded gun so that I can push a ramrod down the barrel to extract a loaded round, to be a very safe thing to do. You can also use a small screwdriver to pry it out by the rim, but since these are rimfire rounds, you don't want to accidentally drop the slide on that round (say, because you have the gun resting on the bench on its left side while you're prying on it) when you have a screwdriver under the rim. Sometimes you have to do those things, but having a working extractor makes this operation much safer and easier. It's so, so easy to forget basic gun safety rules when working on a malfunctioning firearm, anything you can do to make unloading the gun safer and easier is an improvement. But that's just my opinion.

Dave

Old 04-23-2019, 12:50 PM
toyodaaddict

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdas View Post
Well, since the Buckmark is blowback-operated, this isn't too surprising. The force of the expanding gases pushes the shell casing out of the chamber, the extractor does not "pull" it out. The casing is pushed backwards with enough force to cycle the slide. In that scenario, the extractor probably provides a little reliability by holding the rim steady until it hits the ejector wire, but the primary function of the extractor is as a pivot point... when the left side of the casing hits the ejector wire, the casing pivots around the extractor claw tip, and goes flying out the right side of the gun.

Extracting unspent (or dummy) cases by hand-cycling is much more demanding of the extractor, because the extractor is actually pulling the case out of the chamber (and then also acting as the pivot point when the left side of the case hits the ejector wire).

IMHO, being able to extract a live round from the chamber is a safety issue. How else do you *safely* unload the gun? I don't consider putting my hand in front of the muzzle of a loaded gun so that I can push a ramrod down the barrel to extract a loaded round, to be a very safe thing to do. You can also use a small screwdriver to pry it out by the rim, but since these are rimfire rounds, you don't want to accidentally drop the slide on that round (say, because you have the gun resting on the bench on its left side while you're prying on it) when you have a screwdriver under the rim. Sometimes you have to do those things, but having a working extractor makes this operation much safer and easier. It's so, so easy to forget basic gun safety rules when working on a malfunctioning firearm, anything you can do to make unloading the gun safer and easier is an improvement. But that's just my opinion.

Dave
Thank you for all the great information. I appreciate learning how the Buckmark functions.

I agree with you about the safety aspect of this. Especially when handing the pistol off to someone who is unaware that it has this issue.

Ultimately, This isn't right. I payed a chunk of $$$ for this pistol and I shouldn't have to except this. I just got off the phone with Browning and they are sending me a shipping label.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:04 PM
SRV1

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Dave is correct on the extraction. Now some 22 semis will extract a round manually and some dont. Remember, the Beretta Bobcat 22 pistol does not have any extractors just to give an idea of the blowback operation.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:03 PM
Ron IL

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have had my camper for a few years and worked flawless. A couple of months ago I started having stove pipe problems on every mag. I ordered a Tandemkross extractor and while I was at it ordered a flat trigger. I never liked that curved trigger on it. I had put flat triggers on my 1911's and loved them. That fixed my stove pipes and love the trigger.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:13 PM
valvestem
US Coast Guard Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_80 View Post
$5 on the Volquartsen clearance section, though their shipping could also be outrageous. I didn't check it.

https://volquartsen.com/inventory_co...78?clearance=1
I don't have an issue with my Bucky, but ordered a few extractors for the future. Thank you for the link.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:12 AM
rdas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron IL View Post
I have had my camper for a few years and worked flawless. A couple of months ago I started having stove pipe problems on every mag. I ordered a Tandemkross extractor and while I was at it ordered a flat trigger. I never liked that curved trigger on it. I had put flat triggers on my 1911's and loved them. That fixed my stove pipes and love the trigger.
Did the tip on your stock extractor break?

I've never used one of the Tandemcross extractors, but as long as the claw tip is not broken and the extractor can be pushed easily to the right and springs back automatically to its normal location, I struggle to understand how their extractor is superior to the stock extractor. It might be made of higher-quality metal, but I have stock extractors that have been through many thousands of rounds, and I've yet to have one wear out. Of course, ANY part can break, and the extractor sees some wear and stress, so it's a likely candidate (I have both a stock and a Tandemcross backup in my parts box), but this forum isn't exactly rife with extractor breakage woes.

When you do a deep clean on your Buckmark (say, every 3k - 5k rounds) put a drop of oil on the extractor/pin/spring, and check to make sure it moves smoothly side-to-side; otherwise I leave it alone, and it just works. That's been my experience.

Dave

P.S. When I was first shooting bullseye competitively, I was trying various different ammos, and found that my Buckmark Target 5.5 would occasionally stovepipe with Federal Gold Medal Target 711B ammo. A long-time bullseye shooter who used a Buckmark for years advised me to put a drop of oil on the extractor. It certainly helped, but keeping the gun clean was the real solution for that ammo. Being that I prefer shooting to cleaning, I eventually switched to other ammo. But there's no denying that oil on the extractor helped. I've never taken slow-motion video of the right side of my Buckmark cycling, but I'm guessing the extractor moves to the right a bit as the casing gets ejected, so smooth movement of the extractor encourages smooth release of the rim, and thus more reliable ejection. But that's just conjecture on my part.