T1x review and 1st range test - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-16-2019, 07:15 AM
chilly807

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Since the T1x was released in Canada, I haven't seen many T3 or T3x wood stocks for sale, at least not for long.
They were already in demand, the arrival of the T1x has just kicked that up a couple of notches.
I was lucky to get mine, it has some nice wood and was sensibly priced. I've had it for a while now, on my .243 T3.
I think the splashy wood goes to the Sako side of the company, Tikka gets the straighter-grained stuff.
While I'm not what I'd consider an "extreme hunter", my hunting guns get dragged through brush and brambles, occasionally in wet weather. Synthetic is the cat's meow for those conditions.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:12 AM
chilly807

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got another chance to shoot the Tikka yesterday, after swapping the Warne high rings for a set of mediums I had in reserve.

I haven't come to a final decision yet on whether or not I'll need a comb riser, but I'm going to try one and see how it feels. I don't think it's a case of the comb being too low, more that it's too thin. I found myself looking through the right side of the eyepiece more than I'd like.
The lower rings helped a bit, but my cheek weld is still a bit light.

I shot a few targets at 25 yds with CCI SV to warm up and get a zero, then zeroed for 50 yds.

The 12 rounds "on score" that I fired at 50 yds yielded this target, the single high flyer could have been either me or the ammunition. I wasn't shooting over the chronograph so I can't say for sure. The round didn't sound overly hot, so it's probably me.

I'm pretty happy with the rifle so far, it's showing a distinct lack of fussiness over how it's held, groups are nice and round for the most part, and the trigger is great. It's still showing a preference for CCI SV.

I also swapped in a lighter trigger spring for this session, which reduced the pull weight to about 1.5 lbs.
I'm going to find a shorter set screw for the trigger weight adjustment. The longer original screw pre-loads the spring too much when it's turned in enough to clear the trigger mounting screw. I think I can get the pull weight down around 1 lb.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:52 AM
Tomiboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not to mention the results are with such cheap ammo.

Old 04-22-2019, 10:32 AM
gr8guns
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
budget rifle AND cheap ammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomiboy View Post
Not to mention the results are with such cheap ammo.

You are correct.....and the rifles at 419 bucks apiece are a bargain.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:08 PM
ohlongarm

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilly807 View Post
I got another chance to shoot the Tikka yesterday, after swapping the Warne high rings for a set of mediums I had in reserve.

I haven't come to a final decision yet on whether or not I'll need a comb riser, but I'm going to try one and see how it feels. I don't think it's a case of the comb being too low, more that it's too thin. I found myself looking through the right side of the eyepiece more than I'd like.
The lower rings helped a bit, but my cheek weld is still a bit light.

I shot a few targets at 25 yds with CCI SV to warm up and get a zero, then zeroed for 50 yds.

The 12 rounds "on score" that I fired at 50 yds yielded this target, the single high flyer could have been either me or the ammunition. I wasn't shooting over the chronograph so I can't say for sure. The round didn't sound overly hot, so it's probably me.

I'm pretty happy with the rifle so far, it's showing a distinct lack of fussiness over how it's held, groups are nice and round for the most part, and the trigger is great. It's still showing a preference for CCI SV.

I also swapped in a lighter trigger spring for this session, which reduced the pull weight to about 1.5 lbs.
I'm going to find a shorter set screw for the trigger weight adjustment. The longer original screw pre-loads the spring too much when it's turned in enough to clear the trigger mounting screw. I think I can get the pull weight down around 1 lb.
Nice shooting ,i love mine .
Old 04-22-2019, 05:55 PM
DavoM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We have purchased a T1x as our club rifle. So far it has performed flawlessly and been shot by a range of shooters new and experienced. The rifle is very accurate and also has a preference for CCI SV. This ammo is our go to for the club gun because of price and has not disappointed. The weight and overall length make it a good teaching rifle especially for juniors.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:23 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Those are very encouraging results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilly807 View Post
The round didn't sound overly hot, so it's probably me.
It could be the shooter or a flier for reasons other than a much higher MV.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:04 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah, the Tikka T1x is a real bargain. I believe it should get rifle of the year. I have a friend I talked into buying the Tikka. His shoots just as good as mine if not better. They are truly a phenomenal rifle for an exceptional price.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:16 PM
Squirrelbark
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Chilly, Those are very encouraging groups. Makes me wonder if you might not get even better groups next time you shoot if you use a target that will give you a more precise aimpoint without a black background. But obviously you are pretty good at hitting close to the same spot even on a target with a background the same color as your reticle.

Isn't it weird that almost everyone (including myself) is getting such good results with CCI SV in this Tikka?
Old 04-24-2019, 01:46 PM
chilly807

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrelbark View Post
Chilly, Those are very encouraging groups. Makes me wonder if you might not get even better groups next time you shoot if you use a target that will give you a more precise aimpoint without a black background. But obviously you are pretty good at hitting close to the same spot even on a target with a background the same color as your reticle.

Isn't it weird that almost everyone (including myself) is getting such good results with CCI SV in this Tikka?
It certainly takes some of the pain out of ammo shopping.

I've got pretty good glass on it, the reticle jumps out of the black target, it shows up almost silver.

I usually shoot at as small a target as I can for a better aiming point.

I wanted to try the silhouette target to see what kind of results I'd get at 50 yds. I'd like to use that target, or one like it, for a local match.

I'm finding the Tikka to be shockingly easy to shoot for a light sporter type rifle. It's not picky about grip, rest type, barrel shims, etc. Two of the four groups on that target are the best I've ever shot at 50 yds, so yeah, I'm smiling.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:31 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
About an hour ago I shot 50 rounds CCI SV out of my Tikka #1 with the Sparrow suppressor. Shot 40 rounds at the 1/2" swinger on my KYL target. I didn't keep up with the count but I would guess I went 8 for 10 in each mag or 32 out of 40.

These circles are 1/2". So each hit would have hit the swinger. Some groups in some targets (first 3 or so) wasn't zeroed in on the circle so don't hold that against the gun/ammo. One thing to keep in mind is all of these groups were shot with the same lot number. For the money, CCI SV is really hard to beat.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:04 PM
chilly807

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I spent another hour at the range this evening with almost no wind and some Eley Force HV ammunition.
My theory that the Tikka likes higher velocity ammo seems to be proving out.
I fired 5 shot groups at 50m, using a bipod and rear bag from a prone position.
I added a Beartooth comb riser kit, and substituted a shorter set screw for the trigger adjustment since the last test. The added height and width of the comb kit makes for a much more comfortable cheek weld. It'll be a permanent fixture. The short set screw allows for less spring preload without touching the trigger retaining bolt, and resulted in a slightly lighter trigger.I think it's as good as it gets now, there's very little load on the trigger, which is still crisp and safe. I'd guess it's just over 1 lb now.
Starting with CCI SV as a control ammo for reference, I fired 9 rounds to foul and warm the barrel, then shot for groups. Between ammo types, I dry patched the barrel and fired 9 fouling shots.
I don't think 9 rounds are enough, most of the ammo I used this evening showed improvement on the second 5 shot group, with the exception of the Eley. If I remember correctly, I think the single flyer in the Eley group was the second shot, all the rest went in one ragged hole.
The groups labeled 10-14 were the first group after an ammo change and 9 fouling shots, the groups labeled 15-19 are the second groups with that particular ammo.

The next evolution will be using a chrono to determine just what velocity works best in the rifle, and narrow down the search. I think the CCI is at the low end speed-wise of what it likes, as is the SK Biathlon Sport. SK Pistol Match Special is on my test list as well.
The Eley Force was a nice surprise, I didn't expect results quite that good from a HV ammo.

Sammy Hagar's "I can't drive 55" started playing in my head tonight.. Hagar isn't a Finnish name, is it?

Last edited by chilly807; 05-05-2019 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:56 AM
Johnthebaptism

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cz 457 mtr or t1x is more accurate?
Old 05-13-2019, 05:41 PM
Squirrelbark
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is a good question--worthy of starting a new thread instead of hijacking chilly's thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnthebaptism View Post
Cz 457 mtr or t1x is more accurate?
Old 05-13-2019, 06:07 PM
gr8guns

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Steyr got that rifle of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisssofdeath View Post
Yeah, the Tikka T1x is a real bargain. I believe it should get rifle of the year. I have a friend I talked into buying the Tikka. His shoots just as good as mine if not better. They are truly a phenomenal rifle for an exceptional price.
Steyr Zephyr 11 got the awards, but I see that Tikka is kicking butt at half the

dough...... Yes indeed. So fine !! I have a Steyr barely shot.......since my

Tikkas came in. And yet, I have another Steyr coming soon.