Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-20-2019, 04:55 PM
toppkatt
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
LINUX

Any linux users her and I'm not talking system administrators and such, just average joes using it? If so what distribution and what problems have you encountered along the way?
Old 04-20-2019, 06:34 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Linux Mint here. No issues, particularly. I use another computer for image processing, but have the GIMP installed on this Linux machine. Original machine was an HP Elitebook 84480p. Pulled out the OEM drive w/Windows, installed an SSD and booted from a jump drive. Install went smoothly and the computer has been humming along for web browsing, word processing (LibreOffice 6.0), light spreadshets, movies on Netflix ever since. Can't remember, but I think the machine is running 4 megs of RAM.

Mint recognized all the machine's device drivers, allows plug-n-play with an aux keyboard and mouse, reads jump drives, connects w/Wifi all without drama. No annoying sales pitches from Windows 10, no "updates" 'cept when I say so, no security issues, no viruses. . . it's all good.

Web browsing is Firefox, with Chrome for Linux as a backup. The thing is stable as anything -- I leave it on for weeks at a time. No crashes.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:40 PM
toppkatt

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
That's the one I installed but mine isn't as smooth. I can't get the LINUX to recognize my WiFi hardware. If I plug the ethernet cable in I'm golden. Once I get that working I'm gonna get the Epson printer going then no more windows.
So I'm assuming the GIMP is photo editing software like photoshop, is that correct?
Thanks for the reply.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:27 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Yup. Image editing. GIMP does most of what Photoshop does, but a little less intuitive. "Save as jpg" is instead an "export" function. Stuff like that. You've got to do some menu-walking to figure stuff out. But it is free.

I actually looked for machines that had a good track record working with Linux and bought a refurb of a model that came to the top of the list in that search. Drivers are coded by Linux volunteers, so I didn't want or need anything too cutting edge. I have also run an iMac off a Mint jump drive, but for day-to-day stuff, that may not be practical.

Have you done a Google search for Linux drivers for your WiFi?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2019, 06:02 AM
toppkatt

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Yes so far no joy. But I'm optimistic or crazy your pick. :-)
Old 04-21-2019, 06:10 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Well, I say, "go for it." I have been very happy to get off the Windows upgrade merry-go-round. I have a couple of Widows 7 machines and the Microsoft gods are ceasing support this summer. I get it as a business decision, but from the consumer end it's just awful. I voted with my dollars.
Old 04-21-2019, 07:21 AM
toppkatt

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
yeah, my 'problem' probably comes from buying the hardware first, before looking at the compatibility then installing Linux mint. My fault for putting the cart before the horse. But eventually it will work out. For now I'm just tethered.
Linux was something I've wanted to do for a while now and when I got the new hardware I just 'snapped' Hey let's try Linux... LOL
Old 04-21-2019, 09:04 AM
lefty222
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I'm in the mist of doing the same thing, going to Linux mint, for the last 2 years windows 10 pro on this machine has been a nightmare, was fine with Windows XP and 7, every time l would get an update it wouldn't work right, incomplete things? Windows not working right?

l Just did the other day a complete windows 10 pro install flashed the hard drive clean, took what l wanted from the hard drive with the help of a friend, now l have the latest 10 pro. which is a joke, reinstalled my pictures and music and I'm told your OneDrive is full? l need more space? my PC hard drive is 1 TB? and 8 GB Ram?

l think my pictures went somewhere else, they weren't in my hard drive, went to utube and found a fix uninstall One Drive and l think the other was One Note, fund a setting and click on make sure all files l installed goes into this PC hard drive and know were else.

You have no more privacy with Windows 10. Microsoft wants you to run your PC like I-phone or tablet.

My friend put in a second 1 TB hard drive in my PC with Lunix mint that he had working in his PC but it wouldn't boot up in mine, i'm sure he will get it up and running, might have to do Linux install using my PC.

My needs are simple pictures/music/and some web sites, my bills are paid by mail.

Toppkatt hope you get it up and running. Hopefully so will l.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:38 AM
toppkatt

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Good luck lefty, sounds like you have a great friend. I have one as well who is going to help me. But I'm in no hurry. Trying to do it myself for now. Sure being tethered to a router via cable is a bit of a pain but as they say 'no pain no gain' LOL
I am SURE Linux will end up working fine for me and the price was right (cost me a new thumb drive for the ISO (wanted it on a separate device for backup and use on other machines) and the time it took to install. The install was easy. All the directions were easily found on the net and the only hang up now is the WiFi driver and the printer, but I am SURE I'll get these two worked out in time.

"I'm told your OneDrive is full? l need more space? my PC hard drive is 1 TB? and 8 GB Ram?"

Yes I understand that Linux can run on older machines and doesn't require all the resources Microsoft WINDOWS does. Another reason to use it. From the info I've heard it is also MUCH more stable than any windows system out there. Fewer stop and reboot experiences for the average user. YEAH!

Anyone ELSE have any experiences with LINUX?

Last edited by toppkatt; 04-21-2019 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:45 AM
mobilemail

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm running Linux Mint on this one with dual boot W10 (that I almost never boot up). My travel laptop is stock Ubuntu Linux with W10 inside a VM.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:10 AM
toppkatt

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Nice, I took the flash drive I loaded my ISO on and put in my wife's' OLD HP laptop and booted and the WiFi works fine on that older hardware. Was also able to get the wireless network printer working!

Now for the new hardware....

Last edited by toppkatt; 04-22-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:47 PM
ivan

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Dunno if I count - all I've been using since '99 on both home and work desktop until Jan this year - took new developer position, have to use windows for now. Campaigning hard to move to Linux based workstations, gaining traction. But I've used Redhat (old 5.x and 6.0, not new enterprise 5.x and 6.x), did a Linux From Scratch system, used Gentoo when it was first released, Slackware, Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, plus quite a few specialty distros for specific tasks. Have also used the BSD offerings (real Unix) - Free, Net, and Open.

Also teach the Linux Administration courses for the college I work for ... and besides software development, why yes I do system administration...

All 3 of my kids use it. My mom uses it (she's 82) but then my Grandma learned DBaseIII on the TRS-80 to help coordinate the '84 Olympic volunteer efforts.

I've converted over a lot of old folk who just want a good stable trouble free platform for a browser and set up a few kiosk machines in a bar.

Last edited by ivan; 04-22-2019 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:00 PM
toppkatt

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
you sound like a resource :-)

Good to hear from you. I'm just tired of windows upgrades that take a lot of time, sometimes don't work, isn't particularly secure nor advocates for your privacy and gets held up with scripts running in the background.

I mostly use mine for surfing the web, email, forums, some photo manipulations and for that LINUX Mint works just fine and is MUCH less expensive to own and run.

It has taken me awhile to get to the point that I'm willing to spend the time and research how to do things. I learned on DOS and C/PM so command line doesn't bother me it's just getting back to and relearning the command structure. That is why Mint looked pretty good to me seemed really easy to install and get everything I needed working. Well I'm still working on it. But my wife is using my other laptop with Mint on it now playing a few games, so all seems right with the world.

i
Old 04-25-2019, 06:25 PM
Ron IL

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have been running Linux for several years now. I dual booted with windoz for quite a while and found I quit using windoz completely. I run the mint version. I recently dumped windoz and installed the newest version 19.1. It had just come out. Problems with quite a bit of stuff not able to work. I finally dumped it and went back to Mint 18.3. Everything loaded back up and running normal again. I normally don't upgrade to new systems until they get the bugs out. I will stay with this one until it times out now. It just runs too good. I don't even own a windoz computer. Linux does everything I want it to do.
Old 04-26-2019, 04:28 PM
toppkatt

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron IL View Post
I have been running Linux for several years now. I dual booted with windoz for quite a while and found I quit using windoz completely. I run the mint version. I recently dumped windoz and installed the newest version 19.1. It had just come out. Problems with quite a bit of stuff not able to work. I finally dumped it and went back to Mint 18.3. Everything loaded back up and running normal again. I normally don't upgrade to new systems until they get the bugs out. I will stay with this one until it times out now. It just runs too good. I don't even own a windoz computer. Linux does everything I want it to do.
I went with Mint 19 because I just got a new laptop and have wanted to run LINUX for a decade or more and figured this was as good of a time as any. Initially I had an issue with the WiFi driver not being installed and I could not find it but after a week or so of looking I was able to find the Driver, install and now everything works just fine. I'm able to use my network printer. So I am happy. Time will tell if I can eliminate Windows completely or not, but my intent is to not go back to it at all.