10/22 Thompson kit - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:45 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)

Thanks for the heads up. It looks like it is made by Pike Arms which is the same as Tactical Innovations is selling. It doesnít have a Cutts compensator on it.

Does anyone know how Pike arms barrels compare to GM. I have a couple GM and they are decent. They arenít Kidd quality but they are decent.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:56 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
Thanks for the heads up. It looks like it is made by Pike Arms which is the same as Tactical Innovations is selling. It doesnít have a Cutts compensator on it.

Does anyone know how Pike arms barrels compare to GM. I have a couple GM and they are decent. They arenít Kidd quality but they are decent.
I saw those when I was putting parts on order.. I like the look of the Comp. - and we know how the GM's shoot..
Old 04-11-2019, 07:10 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
I saw those when I was putting parts on order.. I like the look of the Comp. - and we know how the GM's shoot..
That is what Iím thinking. Iím going to wait and see when GM has the stainless steel finned barrels back in stock. I know how they shoot.

Old 04-13-2019, 08:00 PM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Project Started!

I got a 10/22 donor carbine a few days ago and plan on ordering the "Squad" conversion kit on Monday or Tuesday. Will also check out the finned barrel leads as I also think that really makes the conversion pop. One thing I wish they had done was to bring the receiver cover sides all the way up past the mag well. I'm sure they were going for the Thompson "look" but I would rather have more stable magazines! Will post pictures when I get something together!
Old 04-18-2019, 08:51 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thompson SMG kit

I received the Scottwerx Thompson SMG conversion kit today! After unpacking the bits and making sure everything was present, it took me about 30 minutes assemble the "new" gun. I've got to glue the magazine extension on a rotary magazine and get some range time to check out the sights. I might replace the somewhat crude rear sight with a Williams peep sight later on. Will post some pix tomorrow.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:10 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Area51guy View Post
I received the Scottwerx Thompson SMG conversion kit today! After unpacking the bits and making sure everything was present, it took me about 30 minutes assemble the "new" gun. I've got to glue the magazine extension on a rotary magazine and get some range time to check out the sights. I might replace the somewhat crude rear sight with a Williams peep sight later on. Will post some pix tomorrow.
Did you use the factory barrel?
Old 04-19-2019, 01:46 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Barrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
Did you use the factory barrel?
I did for now. i"m looking for a finned barrel with front sight. When I get one, it will go on the conversion. Another little project will be to find a way to keep the magazines more firmly in place as they tend to rattle a bit. I also would like to move the bolt cocking lever/knob to the top like a "real" Thompson. After all, the devil is in the details!
Old 04-21-2019, 04:11 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Magazine mod..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Area51guy View Post
I did for now. i"m looking for a finned barrel with front sight. When I get one, it will go on the conversion. Another little project will be to find a way to keep the magazines more firmly in place as they tend to rattle a bit. I also would like to move the bolt cocking lever/knob to the top like a "real" Thompson. After all, the devil is in the details!
I discovered that I can use a small piece of "Flex Tape" on each side of the 10/22 magazines to eliminate the gap between the mag and the receiver to eliminate the movement and the rattle. The Flex Tape is advertised on tv as being able to fix anything and now I believe it. The tape is thicker than regular duc tape and really sticks once applied. While I was at it, I applied the tape strips to a 10 rd mag, a 25 rd Ruger mag and a 110 rd GSG drum mag! All three are a snug fit now while still locking into place with a gentle nudge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg machine 1.jpg (331.3 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Area51guy; 04-21-2019 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:47 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First trip to the range.........

I took the Thompson/1022 to the range today for it's first outing. Other than a sticky bolt hold open lever, all went well! The sights were right on and I was easily able to hit 6" targets at 50 yds! I took two of the modified mags (one Ruger 10 rd and one Ruger 25 rd) worked perfectly. So, all was good on that front. I also took a couple of 9mm pistols but that is another story!
Old 05-03-2019, 10:16 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thompson 1022

I dug into the trigger group today and replaced the bolt hold open with one that will auto release by pulling back on the bolt. Also, when I put the "kit" back on the Ruger I added a bit of loctite blue to help keep everything in place. Weather permitting, I will probably take a trip to the range and run a few more mags thru it to find what ammo it likes and/or dislikes. So far, the only "issues" have been a few el cheapo rounds that failed to fire. Also, I want to do some (paper) target work to see just how accurate it can be. I am still looking for a finned barrel w/front sight. Anyone runs across one, please let me know! More later.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:15 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If I was to do a replica I would want the Chicago style stock but either way they need the ribbed barrel and a rotary mag to make it look right.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:12 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Making it right.............

I have a 110 rd drum mag but it is too large and too heavy (when loaded) to be useful. There are a couple of 50 rd drums on the market so I am going to look into one of those. I'll find a finned barrel one day! Just need to be patient.