Green Mountain Sporter Barrel - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:34 AM
cznut

TPC Rating: 
100% (102)
Green Mountain Sporter Barrel

I have a nice 10 22 complete receiver (95 model) with metal trigger group and a nice walnut deluxe sporter stock and was wondering if the Green Mountain sporter weight barrels will fit the stock channel without to much work, I dont mind opening the barrel channel a bit. Aslo for those of you who have one of the sporter weight barrels how are they shooting for you ?, I have had the heavy taper GM barrels and they were great for the price. Your input appreciated.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:23 AM
jes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a 20" sporter taper that I put on an older deluxe about 5 years ago. It took a bit of sanding to fit, but really very little. I use the rifle as a field/ hunting rifle and don't worry about shooting tiny groups, but from the times that I have benched it, I would say that with ammo like CCI standard velocity and SK standard it will stay "around" the 1/2 inch mark. That's with an old Leupold fixed 4x on it and a Volquartsen trigger kit. I'm not saying I can shoot sub half inch groups all day long, but it's in that neighborhood without trying to hard. It's my "go to" 22lr.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:39 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have one, a 20 inch, but havenít put it in the sporter yet, I bought it caus it had no iron sights, but Iíve had good results from my other GMs, so I expect the same. As for fit, why wouldnít it? The heavy taper barrel required 15 minutes of sanding on the stock, just used bigger dowels in the back middle and front.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:59 AM
midwest swiss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Oh ya I have that rifle, 1978 10/22 with a 16.5 GM match sport barrel.
Has OEM trigger that has been worked over by me, power custom hammer 2.5 lb pull.

Did have too sand the barrel channel a little.
The barrel is not fussy on ammo shot great from day one.
Here is a cherry picked 50 yard 5 shot group.

But here is my hunting sight in pic from last fall.

Just as accurate as my CZ 452 Varmint.
But the rifle is using a Boyd's modified hunter stock now.

Midwest Swiss

Last edited by midwest swiss; 04-21-2019 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:14 AM
cznut

TPC Rating: 
100% (102)
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest swiss View Post
Oh ya I have that rifle, 1978 10/22 with a 16.5 GM match sport barrel.
Has OEM trigger that has been worked over by me, power custom hammer 2.5 lb pull.

Did have too sand the barrel channel a little.
The barrel is not fussy on ammo shot great from day one.
Here is a cherry picked 50 yard 5 shot group.

But here is my hunting sight in pic from last fall.

Just as accurate as my CZ 452 Varmint.
But the rifle is using a Boyd's modified hunter stock now.

Midwest Swiss
Thanks swiss....that looks good to me....might have to get this thing started.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:12 PM
917M2Sfan
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I have GM sporter contour 10/22 barrels in 16.5", 20", and 24". All are sporter contour, not the heavy taper sporter contour.

They required a little a little sanding to float free in wood stocks, but none took more than 30 minutes to get a close fit.

My current favorite 10/22 has one of the 24" fluted stainless barrels. The extra length makes it a little less handy, but that is off-set by the improved balance. All have been accurate and a good value.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:27 PM
kkd

TPC Rating: 
100% (58)
I concur

I too have a GM Sporter barrel on a Ruger DeLuxe walnut stock
Looks and shoots great

If I can remember correctly, it's been 10+ years....
I had to sand the stock, just a tad, right where the barrel meets the receiver
It only took a little bit of sanding.
Not much
Old 04-27-2019, 03:10 PM
Calamity Sue's Husband

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One of my first rifles was a Ruger 1264 ss Mannlicher. In those days I didn't know what hv or sv was all about. Never had a problem with any ammo not going bang, but sometimes I didn't know what I was gonna hit with it.

Fast forward. Calamity loves to shoot and since I have tons of CCI mini's and other hv's, she runs 400-600 a shooting. I now have a Ruger 1235 LV that shoots sv's quite nicely. Not as nice as my CZ 452,453 Americans, nor my 455 Lux or 455 Mannlicher, but not bad. So, moving on and upward, I hope, I bought a 20" GM ss sporter to replace my 18.5" barrel in my Mannlicher Ruger 1264. Yes, I knew it was gonna be a sanding job, but I really wanted to try out a GM bbl as I'm thinking of changing a couple of other 20" Rugers, namely "our" two 11165's, to try to get them to shoot a bit better.

It took an hour or so of sanding, a little at a time, esp. around the cap, and the stock under the cap so that the cap would go back on. Tightening the stock back on a number of times to check for free floating, and almost have it. Didn't want to go too far, so we went shooting. Using the factory bbl and CCI sv's I would seldom get better than 2" for a 10 round mag, using just a bipod, shooting fairly fast. By now, I can tell where the round "should" be going and see if it is or isn't. Sometimes it's the ammo, but working slowly and carefully at first, I can tell if it's the bbl too. Or something else. Okay, according to GM, shoot 5 clean, shoot 5 clean, shoot 10 clean, shoot 10 clean, shoot............ bleep it. Since I changed scopes too, and did a quick laser zeroing the night before, I picked out a piece of an orange disk on the backside of the berm we were shooting on, a little over 50 yards. Lowered the mag of the scope Bushnell Elite 4500 6-24 to around 10 to try to find out where the first shot is going, and bleep if it didn't hit the 2" orange disk. Back to my 3" Shoot N C targets, and the other 4 rounds were within 1/2". Clean, shoot, clean shoot, bleep it, shoot, shoot, ...........

I put 300 rounds cleaning the bbl after each 100. Tried my usual CCI, Norma Tac, SK Std+, and a few others. The bbl performed fine, actually better than I expected. Didn't bother with measurements as I want to get some more rounds through it, but many ten round mags were 1/2"-1" with some just over 1/2" shooting ten rounds in under 15 seconds. I'm very pleased and when the fluted blue 20" comes back in stock I'll be buying it and putting it in my 11165. I took the factory 11165 bbl out before I started the sanding on the 1264 to see how it fit. It looks like just a minor couple of spots will need sanding. Because of the Mannlicher stock and 18.5" bbl, the 1264 took some work. Still might need some more work down the road. Pick of the semi finished product below.

Old 04-27-2019, 03:15 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rimfire Sports has the 16.5 GM fluted tapered for $131.

And others, better prices than GM
Old 04-27-2019, 07:26 PM
Calamity Sue's Husband

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
Rimfire Sports has the 16.5 GM fluted tapered for $131.

And others, better prices than GM
I need the 20" as they are the factory length on my 11165's. And yes, I usually buy from Rimfire Sports. Not only are they cheaper, but the shipping is free. My 20" ss sporter was nearly $30 cheaper delivered from RS than GM. That's a 20% savings or there abouts.

Just finished dressing this puppy with a Vortex Tactical 6-24, my second. Bought at Cabela's during their 10% off day, Wed, I think it was, and 7% cash back from AJ, and using 20% off gift cards. Final delivered price was $290. Not terrific but since tax is now added, and the scope isn't on sale, it's the best I can do.

Last edited by Calamity Sue's Husband; 04-27-2019 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 07:33 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well since you used the 20 inch on the Mannlicher, I thought you might be a little more adventurous
Old 04-27-2019, 08:41 PM
Calamity Sue's Husband

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Well since you used the 20 inch on the Mannlicher, I thought you might be a little more adventurous
Thanks for the thoughts. If I changed Calamity's one and only rifle, she'd probably shoot me with the new one. I'm just trying to get her to shoot a little better. When I made her shoot my GM barrel one with Sk Std+, yes she did better than she had been, but............ not by all that much. She's the rapid fire, I wanna her the bang type. Hey, I'm happy she's happy shooting!!

The story behind "her" rifle, is I bought the "50th year anniversary" model 11165 that was "only" sold thru Cabela's. I found one in stock in Ft. Worth, TX. At the time we were spending 6 mos. in FL and 6 mos. in NV commuting. So I bought it, bought a Kidd Single Stage, Kidd springs and rod and buffer, bought a Bushell 4500 Elite 6-24 for nearly nothing when Bushnell had a rebate and they were on sale too. Beautiful wood. After running 500 rounds or so, zeroing it perfectly, I let Calamity shoot it. That was the last time I had that puppy in my arms. She loved it. So, ............. On the good side of things, I was able to buy another one, for me, about $100 cheaper online. I set it up the same way. Oh, I forgot one thing. She has a $300 Atlas bipod on her's. I had a $30 UTG, but now a Magpul that I really like.

My adventurous route was the Mannlicher stock. Somewhere down the line I'll get a thumbhole stock and put a bull barrel in it.

PS: GM is supposed to start making the 20" blued fluted and regular sporter in a month or so. Hopefully they ship to RS right away.

Again, thanks for the comments.

Last edited by Calamity Sue's Husband; 04-27-2019 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:50 PM
1911luvr

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamity Sue's Husband View Post
Pick of the semi finished product below.

Thatís a great looking rifle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-27-2019, 11:51 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes it is and I have itís polar opposite
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4F0016C1-DB3B-4D55-80A3-537A09A3460D.jpg (511.8 KB, 15 views)
Old 04-28-2019, 11:38 AM
Calamity Sue's Husband

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Yes it is and I have it’s polar opposite
When you get a chance, tell me a bit about it.

Later on today I'll take a better pic of mine, now that I have it scoped. The one thing I might add/change, two actually, is to get a Kidd extended base in silver maybe, even though the scope is black. When you see the pic, you can see I have the scope mounted about as far back as I can have it. It's comfy there, but with little room for movement. The other is a Magpul bipod as it's easy to adjust to non level shooting platforms. Our club has very nice shooting platforms, for one. I made a very nice table that I shoot off of, but it's a pain to get it level in the dirt/gravel area. Hence I like the easy to adjust Magpul.

I'll also include Calamity's 11165 in the pic, my long lost sweetheart, that like most things at my age, I can look at, but can't touch.

Last edited by Calamity Sue's Husband; 04-28-2019 at 11:40 AM.