New Henry AR7 notes - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-10-2019, 07:21 PM
berettaprofessor

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New Henry AR7 notes

Finally got a day in the 40's today to try out my new Henry AR-7. Today was just for shaking it out and trying some different loads for reliability.

Pros: I ran CCI Mini-mags, Remington Subsonic, Gemtech Subsonic, CCI Select, and Eley Target through it; 64 rounds total using 3 different OM 8 round mags, not a hiccup with any of the different loads. I was reasonably impressed with the standard sights; The target below is 5 rounds of the Remington subsonic shot kneeling in the mud from the 20 yard mark through the "small" rear aperture. I know I'll do a lot better prone when it warms up and the ground dries. I was also trying out a scope mount and when I used the scope the groups were tightening up nicely.

Mehs: The trigger is as gritty as everyone says it is, but on the other hand the pull, while long, is a consistent 3.75#, much better than I expected.

Cons: I've got to work on a better detachable scope mount. Right now I've got a cheap Field & Stream 4X32 on it with high Burris steel rimfire rings (see pic), but it wasn't returning to zero when I removed and replaced it, and hand-tightening the knurled screws wasn't enough; they kept loosening. I'll try some Warne QD Rimfires next.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg henry ar7 scope.JPG (454.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg ar7 target remington sujbsonic.jpg (37.2 KB, 191 views)

Last edited by berettaprofessor; 03-10-2019 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:41 PM
GNAP

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use mine with the peep sights, Iím surprised how well it shoots. It looks like a toy, but very happy with the performance so far.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:05 PM
Billinoregon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Will be following your studies, professor. Have a new one in the box.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:58 PM
athappyhiker
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have one and use it with just the peep sights; just like it's intended. A scope won't fit in the stock. Most of the QD scope ring mounts don't return to zero all that well on rimfires, and in a survival mode I wouldn't want to have to waste ammo re-sighting in a scope. I find that at 25 yards with CCI minimags I can keep 1 1/2" groups with the larger peep. I used some super glue (the kind that does NOT melt plastic) at both sides of the base of the front sight to keep the plastic sight blade from being accidentally pushed (they move pretty easy, really wish they would have used a metal tight fitting blade).
Old 04-18-2019, 12:41 PM
berettaprofessor

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I did obtain some Warne QD rimfire rings (high) and the scope now returns to zero after detachment and reattachment. The lever's on the Warne keep the scope tight and don't loosen up while shooting.

I don't quite understand the reason to NOT use a scope with one of these rifles. Hey, in the very unlikely event that this is the only rifle I've got in "survival mode" and I'm keeping it stored in the stock because I'm crossing deep water (which hardly exists in Kansas anyway), then, I promise, I won't worry about sighting in the scope! In the meantime, I shoot more accurately when I've got a scope sighted in on the rifle and it reliably returns to zero whenever I mount it. I do have this compulsion to want to consistently hit where I'm aiming beyond the limits of peep sights.
Old 04-20-2019, 05:51 PM
athappyhiker
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by berettaprofessor View Post
I did obtain some Warne QD rimfire rings (high) and the scope now returns to zero after detachment and reattachment. The lever's on the Warne keep the scope tight and don't loosen up while shooting.

I don't quite understand the reason to NOT use a scope with one of these rifles. Hey, in the very unlikely event that this is the only rifle I've got in "survival mode" and I'm keeping it stored in the stock because I'm crossing deep water (which hardly exists in Kansas anyway), then, I promise, I won't worry about sighting in the scope! In the meantime, I shoot more accurately when I've got a scope sighted in on the rifle and it reliably returns to zero whenever I mount it. I do have this compulsion to want to consistently hit where I'm aiming beyond the limits of peep sights.
I get your points, and they are good ones. I'll have to check out those Warne QD rings. I store mine disassembled in the stock in a BOB in my car, so keeping a scope mounted on it isn't feasible, but I agree -a small 4x scope would increase my chances of putting meat on a spit appreciably.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:00 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't have anything against putting scopes on rifles, but I don't see the point of putting one on a "survival" rifle. My AR7 easily keeps sub 1.5" groups at 25 yards with just the peep sights and bulk ammo. Most small game I encounter is typically at 5-10 yards, and sometimes out as far as 20.

Now for fun and not for survival, the AR7 is great to take out for popping prairie dogs. Once you figure out the bullet drop, you should be able to knock off 7/10 at ranges out to 100 yards with Mini-Mags and peeps. Maybe a scope thrown on would increase those hits, but I haven't bothered to try. I have better long range 22s with scopes for that.