BDC reticle for smallbore silhouette? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-10-2019, 05:56 PM
ktowndave

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
BDC reticle for smallbore silhouette?

Are there any .22 scopes that have mildots that would line up to small bore targets so I don't have to keep adjusting the turret? I know that ammo and everything else comes in to play but was wondering if anyone has tried a mildot and had any luck?
Old 03-10-2019, 06:25 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
What you are after is not a mil-dot reticle but a bullet-drop reticle.

A mil-dot reticle has the dots at fixed intervals of one mil and sometimes smaller marks halfway between.

A bullet-drop reticle has dots or marks at various intervals that match the trajectory of certain cartridges. The trick is to get one that matches your specific choice of ammo. The best you are going to get is "close."
Old 03-10-2019, 09:47 PM
JDMANN

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I strongly discourage it. I tried one and it's too "busy". It's difficult enough to shoot silhouettes. All the extra lines and dots distracted me. You simply have to learn your setting for your animals. The most common set up is a fine crosshair with a 3\8" to 1\2" dot.

Old 03-10-2019, 11:09 PM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMANN View Post
I strongly discourage it. I tried one and it's too "busy". It's difficult enough to shoot silhouettes. All the extra lines and dots distracted me. You simply have to learn your setting for your animals. The most common set up is a fine crosshair with a 3\8" to 1\2" dot.

Agreed. I know a few people that have tried it but t hey didn't try it for very long. A good crosshair with dot and finger-adjustable turrets is the way to go.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:25 AM
Randy99CL
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had the same idea. I believe you could get close but it would take a lot of work to get it right.

I've got one of the Nikon 3-9x Prostaff Rimfire scopes with their BDC reticle. Their software lets you select your ammo and then try different zeroing ranges and see where the BDC circles line up.
I was only playing with it but got it within just a few yards for all 4 ranges. That was over a year ago and I don't remember the exact zero but I think it was close, like maybe 30 yards?

Edit: Just for giggles I just went there and played with it for a minute. If I zero my scope at 40 yds, the circles are at 57, 77 and 94, with CCI SV ammo.

Last edited by Randy99CL; 03-11-2019 at 03:45 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:52 PM
CardPuncher

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I much prefer mil dots in the scope. There are 2 rifles I regularly use for silhouettes and only one has them. It's zeroed on turkeys. I make notes about how to sight for the other targets and can easily go a year or more without touching the elevation turret. I'm aiming at chickens and pigs with the first dot above the crosshairs and I put the body of rams between the first and second dots below. That's no more difficult than sighting with the crosshairs and sometimes I think it works better. It certainly removes any doubt about whether the scope is tracking properly with elevation changes.

I wouldn't waste time looking for a BDC that would be accurate and I much prefer a reticule with evenly-spaced dots above and below the center instead of something more complex.

You don't have to use them if you don't want to, but if you don't have them, you don't have the choice.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:26 AM
ktowndave

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've been using the turret, I was hoping to find something easier so I don't lose track of which setting I needed. I'll just stick to using the turret
Old 03-12-2019, 11:30 AM
ktowndave

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, that is another reason, losing tracking on the scope. Constantly moving probably isn't the best thing to do to a scope.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:11 PM
IHMSA80x80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Just sight in on chickens, set the turret cap to zero at that setting, then count the number of clicks it takes to get the gun zeroed for the other distances. Record those settings in your range book.

≡✪≡
Old 03-12-2019, 05:33 PM
jnyork

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHMSA80x80 View Post
Just sight in on chickens, set the turret cap to zero at that setting, then count the number of clicks it takes to get the gun zeroed for the other distances. Record those settings in your range book.
Exactly, what could be easier? ALSO, before you leave the range , always set your scope back to your chicken setting so next time you go out you know exactly where your scope is set for.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:38 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Where we shoot Sil. one never knows what station one will draw to begin a relay so always returning to a Chix setting could well be a waste of clicking.
I start the day Knowing what setting my scope is AT and referencing my book so once things are getting close to program Im ready.
Sometimes, just by being ready (and watching the others who are not), I can get the 'draw' (pref) for the station Im already set for. Be Pro-Active.
Ive used fine 'hairs, fine c/w dot, duplex and maybe this year will field the newish mil-dot.
The duplex has been good with the Turkey -0- at center poa.
A few clicks down maybe for Pigs and Chix, but not much. Mostly Ive gone to a low poa on those with success.
For the Rams I have been able to go to the heavier 6:00 dulpex as a 'sniper post' and a few clicks on the spotter to get happy.
A minimum of clicking required. A 'book' is a Must Have.
All that gives me a simple aiming set up, not much thinking involved (though I will confess to a lapse and shifted to the center 'hairs on the Rams once....twice). Using a self-talk mantra for each bank helps keep me focused; ie, Rams, #3, 'post', I know how to do this, become the shot, (etc.).
The mil-dot is more complex, more 'busy' (and I like simple), so I may be talking myself out of it already, but come shooting spring and revisiting it I may get the comfort back I was feeling last fall when I had to stop.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:01 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
I use a target dot reticle (one dot centered on the crosshairs). I click up or down for range changes. I have the settings for each animal written on a 3x5 card (one card for each rifle).

When I get on the line I refer to the card and adjust my scope for the station I'm on. I do it every time, never taking for granted that I remember what my scope is set at. If I finish a set early I set my scope for the next set.... but I still czech the settings when I get to the next station anyway.

I'm always using the same aim point... put the target dot where I want to hit the animal.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:20 PM
teetertotter

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Target Dot Scope

In my case with my target dot scope, I have scotch taped the distances on the top of my scope Ocular. Example: C0 P3 T6 R10 for our specific NRA Silhouette Range.

I don't sight-in every week. I'll check my settings once a month. If close, I leave it. At my current senior age and wobbliness....good enough.

If I were to shoot at other ranges, I would write on a card, as Sophia mentioned.

For focusing at the various distances, I have pointed silver self sticking tape, on the Objective end of scope. Some people use self sticking colored dots.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:53 PM
jm17
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
88% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMANN View Post
I totally agree. I also found BDC reticle way too "busy" for this type of shooting. Went to a fine crosshair. Zeroed at 50 yards and learned to make turret adjustments for remaining distances.