Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Lapua Center-x ????

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  MKnarr 
#1 ·
Was out doing some shooting and doing 5 shot groups. After a cold bore shot in one rifle the 5 shot groups had a SD of 8.8 and ES of 23, the next group had a SD 3.1 and ES of 7.
With the next rifle doing the same first group had an SD of 10.4 with ES of 27. next group had SD of 9.3 & ES of 21. The rifles shot good groups at 25 & 50 yds all holes cutting each other.

I would have thought that the SD & ES should be a lot lower . is this normal?

#2 ·
Over the years, I have tested a lot of Eley Match, Ten X, Lapua Midas and Center X, about 25 different lots. My testing involves any where from 30 to 50 shots from one lot in a rifle that has extremely good ignition and a two different match grade barrels and another also has a match grade barrel. I've had Extreme Spreads from 54 FPS to 27 FPS. I've never had a lot below 27 ES. What I look for is a lot with less than 30 FPS otherwise it will never meet my expectations. My current go to lot of Lapua Midas has an SD of 7.09 with an ES of 27 FPS for 30 rounds. This lot is capable of shooting groups in the 1s in my Anschutz with a Shilen Octagon rifling barrel.

BTW, I have found that ignition can change the ES of a lot. Good ignition, low ES.

#3 ·
Was out doing some shooting and doing 5 shot groups. After a cold bore shot in one rifle the 5 shot groups had a SD of 8.8 and ES of 23, the next group had a SD 3.1 and ES of 7.
With the next rifle doing the same first group had an SD of 10.4 with ES of 27. next group had SD of 9.3 & ES of 21. The rifles shot good groups at 25 & 50 yds all holes cutting each other.

I would have thought that the SD & ES should be a lot lower . is this normal?
If it shoots good does it matter? I have never owned a chrono or used one I go strictly by the results.

Lee

#8 ·
I think it is just part of the fun at whatever level you choose to be. I love shooting targets but am not into competition and am happy with far less that what a real competition shooter would be. I am not right or wrong, just where I am most comfortable.

Then, after shooting paper I like to pickup and walk slowly through the hardwood forrest located next to my little shooting range, sometimes just sitting and enjoying being out in the wild. If a squirrel should dare show up I know exactly what my Anschutz is capable of if I can only do my part! Lol

The 22lr seems to me to be a unique caliber; so many different ways to enjoy shooting it. Cartridges from a nickel a shot to 10x as much and everything in-between depending on what you like to do!

#9 ·
Well said JamesHP ... A walk through the woods is soul cleansing. If targets of opportunity pop up, then I'm not opposed to squirrel and dumplings for dinner. I shoot for groups on paper, tweak the cross-hairs and simply enjoy ... be it informal competition (paper or steel), soup cans, reactive targets, or small game. It's ALL about having fun!

#10 ·
The reason I bought a chronograph in the first place is rather obtuse. When I first got into competition, I had a brick of Wolf that was "really good". So I bought a 1/2 case, not the same lot. When shooting at 50 yards, the lot didn't seem to perform well so I was convinced that something was wrong with the velocity. So I bought a CED MII and sure enough that lot has a velocity spread of 85 FPS and at 100 yards would barely hold a 2" group. The original lot had a velocity spread of 27 FPS.

When I test now, it just as easy to set the chronograph up and verify what I see at the target is what I see on the chronograph. I also depend on it for my centerfire rifles to get an average velocity so my ballistic calculator can give me an idea of what my come ups should be at longer ranges. I recently finished a .221 Fireball on a Remington 700 action and after getting hand loads to shoot sub .5 at 100 yards and now knowing the avg V, it turns out the come ups by the ballistic calculator matched what I found in the real world. Saved a bunch of ammo.

I realize a chronograph isn't necessary but I was a senior engineer in the semiconductor industry and as such "I wanna know". :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.