Improved Wind Flag & Stand - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-18-2021, 09:31 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Improved Wind Flag & Stand

After fighting the sensitivity of the .22 rimfire in the wind for a while I notice that I would occasionally get bitten by a subtle shift in the wind that the ribbon barely picked up but was not enough to pivot the vain of the flag itself. These subtle shifts in the ribbon were often enough to put you scary close to dropping a point and certainly enough to drop an “X” hit on the IBS 50 target we shoot. It occurred to me that in light but shifty winds I needed a wind setup that had more sensitivity to directional changes at say .5 to 1.5 mph. These light winds were not enough to move the vain but could switch your impact to a value of 1-2 mph when changing directions you didn’t pick up on the ribbon. These changes were hard to see when they occurred while executing the shot.
My cure for this problem was a two pronged approach. First I needed to remove any of the friction I could from current setup my building a flag stand that was adjustable to level vertically. This would require a setup a little more sophisticated than beating a stake into the ground like my Graham flag came with. Don’t get me wrong, I really like the Graham Flag design and overall think quite a lot of it. However for my needs I saw room for a couple of small improvements. I designed a base that weighed enough that it does not require anchoring to the ground. It is a 3 pegged triangle base (concrete filled) with a stud for the improved flag pole. The flag pole is machined from aluminum and anodized so it
Wind Flag Web.jpg
doesn’t get skanky from being outside at my home range. In the center of the 2 piece flag pole is ball joint to allow adjustment of the flag pole for perfect vertical orientation.
IMG_0015.JPG
With perfect vertical orientation the flag head doesn’t have any added drag from touching one side of the stud that it rides on. With done I needed to put a level on the flag to make it quick and easy to adjust for perfect vertical.
Wind Flag Web 02.jpg IMG_0016.JPG
While we were building a new flag head to accommodate the bubble level we also installed a small ball bearing in the flag head to further reduce directional drag. The small bearing in the bottom of the flag head turned out
to make quite a bit more difference that I thought. With these improvements to the stand / head assembly my flag now takes only seconds to setup and is perfectly vertical on any ground. It is also as friction free as I know how to make it and easily picks up those small low velocity wind shifts that were so hard to notice before. We are not going to be building these flag stands and not everyone needs them. If you shoot where the wind is never less than 3-4 mph probably not worth the effort we went through. If you have slower twitchy winds like we do on a regular basis then you may want to consider it. The bottom line is it worked well for us and I wanted to be sure other people could see how we solved the problem in case they were having similar experiences.
Old 03-18-2021, 09:54 AM
AC5D
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Are you considering selling these to those of us who are mechanically challenged? Although claiming to be mechanically challenged may be over stating my abilities.
Old 03-18-2021, 10:30 AM
crm617
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
75% (1)
Do you care to share any of the details for those of us that are mechanically inclined. Not that I can do all I see but certainly some. Product part names and/or part numbers etc.? Or did you machine the rods and make everything yourself? I was hoping maybe the lower rod with the ball joint and lock handle could be purchased. I know McMaster-Carr has the handles, and probably the joints but I can't do all the machining. But if I had an idea on the base and the lower rod and the adapter it could be done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2021, 03:13 PM
Joe McNeill
US Army Veteran GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Flying fish fundamentals makes a derlin cap that fits on top of the flag pole spike that has a level for adjusting the level on your poles. Your piece is very well done but for those of us not as talented this one works. I too use Graham wind flags and really like them. I use Dittman poles with the foot steps for pushing them into the ground.
Regards,

Joe McNeill
SW Arkansas
Old 03-18-2021, 04:58 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We are not considering building these but I am happy to give you guys any info I can about them. I machined the aluminum rods, the ball joint I got on Ebay it is a cheap camera tripod ball head 18-19 dollars. The adjustable lever is a McMaster Carr item. The Nylon head we made so the level could be attached. You might be able to glue the level on to a different material but getting the bearing in it will require some lathe work. The bases I just welded up and poured full of concrete. Like I said I really like the Graham Flags but felt some improvements were in order. The sole reason we are not building these is cost, to make them worth building you would have to charge so much for them all it would do is make people mad. If you have questions on how you might build on I am happy to answer.
Old 03-22-2021, 03:55 PM
frey
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
these are handy.
attaches to a 1/4-20, and provides a 1/4-20 attachment.
fits nicely between most commercially available stands and windflag bases.
search mini ball head on any camera site.

Old 03-22-2021, 09:34 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very similar to what we used, I just replace the knob with an adjustable lever.
Old 03-23-2021, 09:40 AM
Tad_E

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnCarlock View Post
The sole reason we are not building these is cost, to make them worth building you would have to charge so much for them all it would do is make people mad. If you have questions on how you might build on I am happy to answer.
I know what you mean about that. I have a small fortune in our flags but to us worth every penny.

Great job on the execution of all the parts. The thrust side of flags on the pole is often overlooked and a key to removing quite a bit of friction. I am just using a bearing ball pressed into the hole and a hard dowel pin for the thrust side of our flags and oilite bearings for rotation. Made a big difference in our flag performance and consistency.

I like the box of barrel blanks in the background.

Tad
Old 03-23-2021, 12:55 PM
Lloyd S.
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
I've been wanting to try a wind flag with a high-contrast 2-color ball instead of a propellor for some time, but haven't been able to find them. Lotsa folks have told me the propellor is better, but none of them have, so far as I can tell, actually tried them. Can anybody tell me where to get one? I just want to buy one to try out for now, not an entire set. Your B&W ball would be perfect.
Old 03-23-2021, 03:04 PM
Joe McNeill
US Army Veteran GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lloyd,
The Graham wind flags use the black/white ball on their flags as well as the propellers. I have both.
You might contact them to see if they would sell some to you.
Regards,

Joe McNeill
SW Arkansas
Old 03-23-2021, 05:18 PM
Lloyd S.
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McNeill View Post
Lloyd,
The Graham wind flags use the black/white ball on their flags as well as the propellers. I have both.
You might contact them to see if they would sell some to you.
Regards,

Joe McNeill
SW Arkansas

Thanks, Joe. I'll check it out. Looking forward to seeing you again at one of out Thursday matches!

Last edited by Lloyd S.; 03-23-2021 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-24-2021, 08:04 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad_E View Post
I know what you mean about that. I have a small fortune in our flags but to us worth every penny.

Great job on the execution of all the parts. The thrust side of flags on the pole is often overlooked and a key to removing quite a bit of friction. I am just using a bearing ball pressed into the hole and a hard dowel pin for the thrust side of our flags and oilite bearings for rotation. Made a big difference in our flag performance and consistency.

I like the box of barrel blanks in the background.

Tad
The barrel blanks are all barrels waiting to be built for customers, only like 2 of them are mine unfortunatly. Always good to be busy.
Old 04-03-2021, 07:31 AM
shooter86314
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
timely info

Thanks for your flag design and comments about bullet impact changes caused by subtle changes in wind.
Old Yesterday, 07:50 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anytime hope it helps.