Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-21-2021, 04:21 PM
openspaces
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Scorpion - Light primer strikes

Looking for suggestions on solving light strikes.

Full factory scorpion with ~8-10k rounds and fully cleaned. Rounds drop freely into chamber and fall out.

Shoots well but starting to get a few rounds that show light strikes. Most will go bang if loaded a second time.

Willing to have a slightly higher trigger pull if it means Iíll have better strikes.

I was going to start throwing some parts at it but figured Iíd ask for suggestions here first.
Old 03-21-2021, 06:20 PM
dmthomp32

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd say you might be due for a spring replacement with those kind of numbers. Not sure which spring would be the culprit but it seems like something to consider.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2021, 06:23 PM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I started getting light strikes with my Black Mamba after only 75K rounds. I replaced the Guide Rod Assembly with a heavier spring from Volquartsen and then helped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2021, 08:02 PM
openspaces

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzShooter View Post
I started getting light strikes with my Black Mamba after only 75K rounds. I replaced the Guide Rod Assembly with a heavier spring from Volquartsen and then helped.
Does the heavier spring help the bolt seat thus giving a little more velocity to the hammer?

Also, just did some revised math on round count. Likely, closer to the 20k rounds. Suffice it to say, itís due for some maintenance beyond cleaning.
Old 03-21-2021, 08:15 PM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes it does and that's what I think helps the ignition.
Old 03-21-2021, 10:27 PM
Turtle1903

TPC Rating: 
94% (12)
Have you taken the firing pin out and cleaned crud out and check out spring and flat plunger if not I would do that and scrub it out good with old toothbrush! Just a little advice the cross pin in the volquartsen bolts are tight and need a punch to drive them out
Old 03-22-2021, 01:58 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Your round count is about right for the FP rebound spring to break. It's usually just 2 or 3 coils at one end that snap off, so you'd think that wouldn't make much difference. But it does.

I like the Tandemkross 5 pack of springs. Much cheaper than buying them one at a time. And I consider rebound springs and extractors to be high wear parts that need replaced regularly. Typically at 10-15k rounds. I've just started replacing them as a set as preventative maintenance. Failures are exceedingly rare for me now.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:31 AM
openspaces

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I have a full VQ bolt in my home mamba build that Iíll swap into the scorpion to see if that helps. That said Iíve ordered the recoil assembly and FP springs as maintenance items.

The positive in this is Iíve been able to have my 12yo daughter learn how to effectively clear FTF/FTE conditions.
Old 03-22-2021, 04:07 PM
Turtle1903

TPC Rating: 
94% (12)
Was it a volquartsen bolt that was giving you light strikes? Or stock ruger bolt
Old 03-22-2021, 07:01 PM
openspaces

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle1903 View Post
Was it a volquartsen bolt that was giving you light strikes? Or stock ruger bolt
Volquartsen. The gun that is the topic of discussion is a factory build scorpion.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:36 PM
Turtle1903

TPC Rating: 
94% (12)
I would call volquartsen they have very good customer service!
Old 04-08-2021, 12:06 PM
openspaces

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quick low value update

I installed the new FP spring and I have the VQ recoil assembly. Iíll take out to the range in the next couple weeks and see if the FP fixed it and swap in the recoil assembly to see if that makes a difference.

Side note: I did send VQ an email and no response. Couple years ago they would reply within a day. Iíve had a couple inquires and not get a response. Iím not sure what to think of that but itís also why Iím thankful for the experience on this site.