New (to me) S-101 Supermatic - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-05-2020, 04:29 PM
Damonte

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New (to me) S-101 Supermatic

I had the luck to stumble upon an 101 Supermatic at a surplus firearms shop in Monroe, OH. It has clearly been used, but I would rate the condition to be 'good'. It came with just one mag and it had both barrel weights. It is stamped Hamden, CT and the serial number places it manufactuered some time in 1958.

This is my first High Standard. I was a more active RFC member a few years back and I've read up a bit on HS here. I've already acquired some CCI SV, and I'll be looking for a new recoil spring, plug, etc. I'll probably also pick up a few new magazines too. I still need to disassemble and inspect it for any indications of fractures or cracks in the frame.

Overall, I'm really excited to own this piece of history and I do intend to shoot it. Don't be surprised if you see a fair number of questions from me. I'll upload a few pictures to the picture thread soon.

Last edited by Damonte; 09-06-2020 at 11:56 AM. Reason: grammar, wrong year
Old 09-06-2020, 11:10 AM
Damonte

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Adding pictures...

Old 09-06-2020, 11:58 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Nice find! I have several target pistols. The 101s is my favorite. I would rate yous much better than "good" enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2020, 02:44 PM
SGVictor

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damonte View Post
I had the luck to stumble upon an 101 Supermatic at a surplus firearms shop in Monroe, OH. It has clearly been used, but I would rate the condition to be 'good'. It came with just one mag and it had both barrel weights. It is stamped Hamden, CT and the serial number places it manufactuered some time in 1958.

The serial number says it shipped March 12.1955

This is my first High Standard. I was a more active RFC member a few years back and I've read up a bit on HS here. I've already acquired some CCI SV, and I'll be looking for a new recoil spring, plug, etc. I'll probably also pick up a few new magazines too. I still need to disassemble and inspect it for any indications of fractures or cracks in the frame.
You do not need to disassemble to inspect for the frame crack. Actually his series seems not to have as many cracks as the 102 series - few have been reported but not none.

Overall, I'm really excited to own this piece of history and I do intend to shoot it. Don't be surprised if you see a fair number of questions from me. I'll upload a few pictures to the picture thread soon.

Old 09-17-2020, 11:11 PM
bczrx

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Very Cool!

The S-101 just feels 'right' in my hand- but, so do some of the others. I think that is why I like the High Standards so much.

Good find!

Mine doesn't have matching serial numbers, but goes bang each time and is more accurate than I am. I hope you have the same reliability/accuracy luck I have had.

Enjoy!
Old 09-18-2020, 07:58 AM
Damonte

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGVictor View Post
The serial number says it shipped March 12.1955

You do not need to disassemble to inspect for the frame crack. Actually his series seems not to have as many cracks as the 102 series - few have been reported but not none.
Thanks for the info! I will file this away for safe keeping.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:21 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice find. At a minimum you need to replace the recoil spring. Contact Alan Aronstein at interarmstx.com (Interarms of Texas). He can guide you to the right replacement spring. If you wish he can provide it and install it too. He can also supply his own good magazines that usually work right out of the box. (often times other magazine new and used will not do that and the mag lips will need "tuning".)

Also keep a count of cartridges fired. When you get to about 10 to 15 thousand rounds replace the recoil spring again. This is insurance against the crack but no guarantee. Only shoot Standard Velocity ammo in this gun as well. My choice (and that of many other here) is CCI Std Vel because until this ammo shortage it was the most accurate inexpensive readily available target 22LR ammo you could buy.

LDBennett
Old 09-19-2020, 05:17 PM
dlay

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have one just like it that my dad bought me new around 1958, still have box and paperwork, we didnt know what std vel ammo was then. It has been shot a lot but is still in great condition. I put the wooden grips from hs on it soon after getting it, I think they were around nine dollars...