High Standard Supermatic 101 Spring replace? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:14 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
High Standard Supermatic 101 Spring replace?

Have a HS Supermatic 101. Have shot it a jillion rounds over the last 30+ years with no problems. Last week (gopher shoot) it started to not fully chamber the second round. I could eject it and let the next round (slam) chamber and it would fire. Then the next round, same thing. I cleaned and still had the same problems. I was using HV rounds. That is what I have used 95% of the time over the years. I am thinking that maybe a new spring is in order. Anyone know about this and where to get them? thanks litetrigger
Old 05-05-2016, 08:32 PM
Black_Talon

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I get mine from:

https://shop.highstandard.com/drive-...ng-p-1432.html

but Wolff springs also sells them. Also check Numrich (e-gunparts.com) and Interarms Texas.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:05 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Litetrigger:

You have broken two cardinal rules of shooting a Hi Stad target pistol: using Hi Vel ammo instead of Std Vel ammo and not changing the recoil spring out every 10 to 15 thousand rounds. Did the frame crack??

The normal crack is from the top of the magazine well to the recess on the right side of the frame for the slide lock back lever. But your gun does not have the recess for the slide lock back lever. Does that mean it will not crack????

As I have said here earlier many times, these are blowback operated guns and the recoil spring is chosen for strength level to balance it against the recoil of the gun. If the recoil spring gets worn (it will as it lives inside a tight cavity in the slide and the sides of the spring wear away, changing its spring rate) then all of the recoil energy is not absorbed by the spring and the slide slams into the stop on the frame. Each hit of the slide on the frame creates fatigue cracks in the micro structure of the metal of the frame. With enough hits the frame cracks. Since there is no stress riser from the hold back lever recess in the frame this series MAY (????) take more hits than later guns that have the slide lock back lever (???).

You need to inspect for the crack as one of the hints it is there is when the gun no longer feeds ammo correctly. At a minimum change out the recoil spring regularly and only shoot Std Vel ammo if you want to protect your gun.

LDBennett

Last edited by LDBennett; 05-06-2016 at 08:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2016, 08:41 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
LD, thanks for the info. Sounds like good advice. No crack so far. (lucked out!) my pistol does have a slide lock well on the right side. Looks like that could be a week spot. Sending for a new spring today. Will switch to SV (hope to get hollow points) they work better on gophers.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:53 AM
Steve S

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I replace driving springs as a hobby and mainly to keep these fine old guns running, picking up where where the late Jim Barta left off when he passed.
Send me slide only and a check for $40 and I'll turn it around in a day or so. $40 INCLUDES a new OEM HS spring which I like best and it includes the return frt. by USPS Priority mail. I do keep Wolff springs in stock too

Just send me a pm or and email and I will take care of you (I've done scores of them in the last 3 or 4 years
Steve
Old 08-19-2019, 01:41 PM
tdog199

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
steve can you explain here how to change the spring on a fieldking?
Old 08-19-2019, 04:56 PM
HSWayne
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Steve

Steve S. passed away a while back. You can search old posts for how to replace the spring, or watch the videos in the sticky section. You need to make sure you get the correct spring for your pistol. The ones for the Series 102 to 108 may not work.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:03 PM
tdog199

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
sorry to hear that.. i got the right springs from alan.. thanks you have a link of the posts?