Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

My first attempt at making a legal "Day of the Jackal" pack rifle.

9K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  IONAR 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello. I thought I would show you something I put together to go plinking out in the wilds of Fresno. I was inspired by a certain gun I saw in a movie a long time ago called "The day of the Jackal" It was designed to be broken down and hidden in a crutch. I loved it! I bought a small rifle, (A .22 magnum bolt action single-shot Cricket.) and tore it apart thru, out the stock, trigger, sere, etc. and took what was left to my laboratory.....er, machine shop. Sorry, I can't post any pictures. Ed.

See less See more
#5 ·
Hello. Thank you very much for posting one of my pictures. As to putting your cheek in contact with this thing, it would probably hurt you. I just brace my shoulder against the stock and grip the barrel.........And hope for the best. Ed.

#6 ·
Thank you. I started out with a .22 magnum single shot Cricket rifle. I discarded the stock, trigger, sere, bolt handle and cocking handle.

I then machined new parts out of tool steel, following the pictures of the gun in the movie. I had to make a few modifications however. The trigger housing in the movie was a small plate that barely held the sere, and the trigger spring was a thin steel leaf spring in front of the sere. I made mine deep enough to cover the post that holds the Cricket's sere and trigger. I replaced the Cricket's trigger and sere with my own that I made out of tool steel. I also replaced the spring with a softer one, and lapped everything into place. The new trigger is held in place with a sapphire ball detente. and can be removed with a firm pull. The trigger can be hidden inside the butt plate that I made from cherry. I also had to bend the strut to give a more comfortable feel. The stock was made from black walnut, and can be adjusted up to four inches. It also hides six "last ditch" bullets. The strut was made from a bipod I found on EBAY. I decided to use a vintage Weaver K1 sniper scope with a pillar rectical. The one in the movie looked vaguely like a cheap Tasco or Barska scope with some adjustment nuts like nothing I've ever seen. I made the front sight with a marlin hood, then placed a micro green led, switch and 3.4 v. lithium battery inside it. I hope this helps to answer your questions.

If you have any more, please ask and I will try and answer them to the best of my ability. Ed.

#7 ·
Hello. No. Mercury bullets are illegal. I prefer solid copper cross-points.

Yes, I agree with you about the "remake" I wish Hollywood would stop taking titles from good movies and plastering them on some slapped together garbage just to make a buck. "Starship troopers" is another example. Ed.

#9 ·
Thanks for the posts you two creative guys

I am a movie buff and a gun enthusiast. I loved the original film of The Jackel and did not see the remake...thank goodness. I always remembered that gun and it interests me to see real life people trying to duplicate it in a legal way. I am not a "handyman" at all so I live that part of it vicariously through people such as you two. :) Thanks again.

#10 ·
I am a movie buff and a gun enthusiast. I loved the original film of The Jackel and did not see the remake...thank goodness. I always remembered that gun and it interests me to see real life people trying to duplicate it in a legal way. I am not a "handyman" at all so I live that part of it vicariously through people such as you two. :) Thanks again.
Classic movies are a great source of ideas for guns!

I recently became part owner of Texas Machine Gun & Ordnance. We are a fledgling company bringing to market some fun, creative, and original toys to the NFA market. For example, we are the first to register a serial numbered "Martyr Creation Device" (suicide vest), we have legally registered pipe bombs, and we are nearing completion of the world's first re-useable Molotov Cocktail.

But as for guns, we are bringing to market reproductions of the "Heat Gun" (Colt M733 as used movie Heat) with an 11.5 inch barrel (will transfer as an SBR, but we are also building post-sample MGs) and we will also have a "My Little Friend" (M16 with M203 - the M203 will transfer as a Destructive Device) from the movie Scarface.

We do have a website, but it is kinda rudimentary. Check us out on Facebook.

Much respect for your .22 mag creation, IONAR!

#15 ·
Original film

The original film is a classic and the rifle was ingenious. I (fortunately, I guess) never saw and won't see the remake. That expanding bullet did a great job on a melon, and had it not been for a bow of the head, would have done the job on Charles DeGaulle's melon!

Nice work making the rifle! It looks a lot like the way I remember the original.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.