recommend - precision 22 lr less than $1000 out of the box - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-07-2021, 08:26 PM
bucko
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
So, would you go half that price to pretty consistently hit a nickel?
Yes, I think it can be done. Gonna be close though.

Last edited by bucko; 05-07-2021 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-07-2021, 09:19 PM
ronedee

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'll 3rd, the motion on the Bergara B-14R. The only negative for me, is the weight. But, I've never looked back....

The never-ending quest for perfection has stopped with the arrival of this awesome rifle!

I don't believe anything under $1000 can compare, in terms of features and accuracy. Check all the reviews and you will see what I mean.
Old 05-08-2021, 07:17 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well I'll be %%%%ed... I got a nickels worth from the stock 10-22 at 50 yds. oops I didnt get all 5.

I couldn't really see the bullseye clearly with the 3-9x40 scope.

Putting the Mueller scope on and Kidd trigger for the next outing and I'll see if it/I improve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-1868.jpg (243.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 05-08-2021, 07:37 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I also got a few guns jotted down from you all. In no particular order, if I got them all correct, below. If I missed any let me know. Until then I'll be doing research and plinking away with the Ruger

Tikka
Bergera b14r, mr
CZ457
Anschutz-used
Winchester 52c
Remington 52r
Old 05-08-2021, 10:25 PM
PEASHOOTER67
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to PEASHOOTER67
Cz457MTR

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"
Old 05-10-2021, 07:12 AM
bucko
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
So, would you go half that price to pretty consistently hit a nickel?
From remembering when I hunted with an out of the box 10-22 with a simmons scope and shooting minimags, if I wanted a for hunting rifle only and had to do it all over again and wanted to save a good bit of money here is what I would do. 10-22, carbine or sporter, KIDD trigger kit, Fedderson standard taper 16.5" barrel and a mid priced scope. FOR HUNTING. Now, if you want to punch paper all bets are off. And yes you should be able to consistently hit a nickel. Just me. And I need to add, I am a KIDD fan but they don't make a standard taper barrel and I don't need a heavy bull for hunting.

Last edited by bucko; 05-10-2021 at 07:25 AM.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:16 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Yeah, LOL....hitting a dime pretty consistently is too expensive for me.
Old 08-29-2021, 06:23 PM
DMTJAGER

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bit off topic but am I the only one that thinks the tuner or can on the rifle in post #9 looks just like the A-Bomb "Little Boy" we tested in Japan?

Last edited by DMTJAGER; 08-29-2021 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-29-2021, 08:13 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Now that I look back at the targets on post #48.
I got that lil 10-22 to shoot much tighter groups than that, makes me feel good that I improved it but I since moved on to the CZ 457
Old 09-17-2021, 06:43 AM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Dollar for dollar, I have never seen a custom 10/22 outshoot a CZ bolt action at 100 yds. ( I've owned a good 1/2 dozen of each). The 10/22 also has a safety that will have you eating up your clock time . Avoid that $ pit and stick with a good bolt gun. My advice would be to Just get a $700 CZ 457 MTR and don't look back. 60 deg bolt through, comp friendly safety/operation, great ( and easily adjustable triggers, good looks,,,,,. The MTR's aren't real ammo finicky either and will shoot at/below MOA all day long. Lastly, the cz 457's have a better factory trigger than can be obtained by ANY offering I've seen for a 10/22.

The Bergara B14R is also super nice but a bit more $.
Old 09-17-2021, 08:48 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
Dollar for dollar, I have never seen a custom 10/22 outshoot a CZ bolt action at 100 yds. ( I've owned a good 1/2 dozen of each). The 10/22 also has a safety that will have you eating up your clock time . Avoid that $ pit and stick with a good bolt gun. My advice would be to Just get a $700 CZ 457 MTR and don't look back. 60 deg bolt through, comp friendly safety/operation, great ( and easily adjustable triggers, good looks,,,,,. The MTR's aren't real ammo finicky either and will shoot at/below MOA all day long. Lastly, the cz 457's have a better factory trigger than can be obtained by ANY offering I've seen for a 10/22.

The Bergara B14R is also super nice but a bit more $.

Thanks for the info.
I was tinkering around with the 10-22 while deciding which bolt action rifle to buy. I went with the CZ MTR. It had some issues but I'm getting them taken care of. Overall its probably the best 'new' rifle I could have bought for under $1000, well under $800. The trigger is really nice.

You are correct about the 10-22. Its really easy to put a lot of $$$ into them
Old Yesterday, 08:43 AM
Rick H.
National Guard Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I love reading these types of threads where someone wants to only invest "X" number of dollars in something. On one hand I commend someone who can stay at, or below their determined price limit, but also laugh a bit inside because most won't be able to stay below their self-imposed hard ceiling. I have spent oh so much, on things in my life trying to be cost effective only to spend more in the end on better quality stuff later on. Firearms aside, rests are the perfect example. I started cheap(er) and found that while okay in some respects cheaper wasn't going to cut it if striving for real accuracy. Four rests later and a bunch of money, I have finally found the rest that I like best. It is rock solid and repeatable. The funny part is that the rest I like best is the one I wanted initially, but didn't want to spend the money for it. Shame on me.

I kind of went down the same rabbit hole with rifles too and kept playing with some old Winchester 52's that I kept thinking would be good enough for my intended use. When I finally broke down and bought an Anschutz 2013 I realized once again the error of my ways in trying to get the M52's to shoot well and keep costs down. Now don't get me wrong, I loved my old Model 52's all six of them, but the truth is they couldn't supply what I was after, accuracy and consistency. The Anschutz can. I am gradually reducing my Winchester 52 collection to one rifle, that being an early E model which is the best shooter of the bunch, but even it is not as good as the 2013. It was a hard pill for me to swallow because I really like M52's, but proof was on paper for me. I can shoot so-so ammunition in the Anschutz and get better results than top tier ammunition in my 52E. I think that says a lot.

A wise old man once said life is too short to play the cheap game if you really want something bad enough. There's a lot of truth to that no matter what sport or hobby your chasing. At my age I will never be a player in attaining real competitive status anymore and I wish I hadn't wasted so much time and money trying to be cost effective AKA cheap. Buy the best you can possibly afford even if it means waiting a bit to gather more funds for your objective. Life and health are finite.

Rick H.
Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM
ammohog
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Most aftermarket 10/22 have a Bentz chamber or similar. The single shot Anschutz rifles have a match chamber. There is a hook in that worm. Once you shoot tiny groups at 50 yards with match ammo, using a quality match ammo your rifle really likes.......you may never be really happy with anything less. You have been warned! !