Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-28-2018, 02:22 AM
StdVel

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Deciphering Browning SA22 scope mounting

I recently bought a 1969 Browning SA22 and decided to mount a scope to it. The iron sights are just not gonna cut it for me squirrel hunting.

Well I wanted to put something on it thats functional and looks appropriate. Leupold gloss black scopes look pretty classic. About all they change is the font on the logo from decade to decade while improving the glass and gas. Rimfire Special it is.

The SA22 has no grooves nor receiver holes for scope mounting. Shouldn’t really mount to the receiver anyway on a takedown so they have tapped the barrel fore and aft of the rear sight to accept a cantilevered base. There are basically three base options: old Redfield tip-off grooved cantilever which apparently is kinda bendy, Leupold which allows keeping rear sight attached and Browning branded base made by Talley. The Redfield apparently doesn’t place the scope very far back and is prone to bending. The Leupold is not preferred by TeddyBearRat who’s opinion I respect so it’s out too.

I bought the Browning branded Talley base. I did not want the rings that have the buckmark logo so I emailed Talley. Over the course of several emails they just kept insisting I give them a call and they would sell me what I needed. Sure a part number would suffice but they wanted me to call. Not sure if they really wanted to secure my one sale or wanted to ensure I got the right thing. Either way I gave em a call.

They quickly and with great courtesy sold me the wrong rings and got em shipped immediately. Open envelope, fidget with small parts, curse loudly, call Talley again. The second guy I talked to got everything squared away and they were in my mailbox the next day! Fast service, quickly fixed mistake, but darn if it wouldn’t have been quicker to just tell me what to order after the first email.

So, long story short, if you want to put together an SA22 with scope buy the Browning base and rings or the Browning base with Talley rimfire rings. They have them in steel or aluminum, high or low, and matte or not quite gloss. They are nice rings.
Old 04-28-2018, 07:46 PM
DGF

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Be glad you didn’t buy the Weavers they are about an inch shorter and it’s a pain to find a long relief scope. Just chucked it in the bin and bought Browning.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:20 AM
gashtyke

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There is an alternative. I purchased two extended weaver type bases from a well known on-line auction, making my Browning branded bases redundant.