Barrel Band's and Accuracy - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-01-2020, 07:51 AM
Waldo Pepper
US Navy Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Barrel Band's and Accuracy

I have 10/22 TD and a 10/22 standard 16.5" with factory composite barrel got the TD sighted to 3/4" with Fed 38gr copper coated HP 1265 advertised velocity and had to quit due to weather then few weeks later tried to zero the standard 16.5" with same ammo and WOW no two shots in same general area, I can't get it down to 3 foot target target board/ I've checked barrel wedge, Ruger scope mount on receiver, swapped out two Weaver scopes, a K4 and 40/44, 2 ring sets (non weaver) and now has Weaver rings on the Weaver 40/44 3.8-12x44 AO I had on a Savage in 204 that would do 1/4" groups at 100 yards to try today weather permitting.

Only thing I had not checked was Barrel Band on the gun, it was very tight and when I went to take it off stock it had apparently bent stock up about 1/8th inch and released it back off stock. It is still on but just tight enough to keep it from moving and checked the TD gun and it had loose band that could be moved w/o loosening the screw. Will see how things go looks now like next week thanks to weather.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:43 AM
crackedcornish
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo Pepper View Post
I have 10/22 TD and a 10/22 standard 16.5" with factory composite barrel got the TD sighted to 3/4" with Fed 38gr copper coated HP 1265 advertised velocity and had to quit due to weather then few weeks later tried to zero the standard 16.5" with same ammo and WOW no two shots in same general area, I can't get it down to 3 foot target target board/ I've checked barrel wedge, Ruger scope mount on receiver, swapped out two Weaver scopes, a K4 and 40/44, 2 ring sets (non weaver) and now has Weaver rings on the Weaver 40/44 3.8-12x44 AO I had on a Savage in 204 that would do 1/4" groups at 100 yards to try today weather permitting.

Only thing I had not checked was Barrel Band on the gun, it was very tight and when I went to take it off stock it had apparently bent stock up about 1/8th inch and released it back off stock. It is still on but just tight enough to keep it from moving and checked the TD gun and it had loose band that could be moved w/o loosening the screw. Will see how things go looks now like next week thanks to weather.
"a 10/22 standard 16.5" with factory composite barrel"
I'm not aware of any of the models that use a composite (aluminum sleeved) barrel and a barrel band..perhaps you meant it has a composite (synthetic) stock?

and yeah the band is just another component of these rifles that has to be experimented with, as some shoot better with it, and some shoot better without it installed

on the ones that I find shoot better without it, I relieve the band for clearance where it goes over the barrel and then reinstall it..just because I like how they look with the band on there
Old 08-01-2020, 05:25 PM
bucko
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Crackedcornish what is the best way to relieve the barrel band?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2020, 05:36 PM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I just wrap a bit of sandpaper around a 3/8" deep well socket and go at it slowly 'til it fits
Old 08-01-2020, 07:13 PM
bucko

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks, that is what I had in mind.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:00 AM
Waldo Pepper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
"a 10/22 standard 16.5" with factory composite barrel"
I'm not aware of any of the models that use a composite (aluminum sleeved) barrel and a barrel band..perhaps you meant it has a composite (synthetic) stock?

and yeah the band is just another component of these rifles that has to be experimented with, as some shoot better with it, and some shoot better without it installed

on the ones that I find shoot better without it, I relieve the band for clearance where it goes over the barrel and then reinstall it..just because I like how they look with the band on there
Sorry about the confusion I thought they were all internally reinforced.

It's a black and gray digital synthetic stock, 50th anniversary model, I bought new 2018 IIRC, and I never got a chance to fire it before very serious health issues became an issue.

I will use blue Loctite to try to keep it just snug enough to keep from working off end of stock or will remove it if necessary.

If all else fails back to Ruger it goes.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:07 AM
Waldo Pepper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
I just wrap a bit of sandpaper around a 3/8" deep well socket and go at it slowly 'til it fits
Are you saying you sand the stock or are you talking about the barrel band? I assume you're talking about the stock, but we all know what assume spells.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:15 AM
Waldo Pepper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Forgot to mention both guns were factory suppressor ready and had same suppressor used both times. I could not see any difference in accuracy on either gun with or w/o suppressor. I also use this suppressor w/o any real noticeable accuracy changes, but I'm not that good of a shooter now days.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:32 AM
Eagle0199
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Usually the method for relieving the barrel band is to use sandpaper around a socket and sand the inside of the barrel band at the top, the area where it touches the barrel. Objective is to have the band not touch the barrel. The thickness of a business card is usually sufficient clearance.
Old 08-02-2020, 01:41 PM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo Pepper View Post
Are you saying you sand the stock or are you talking about the barrel band? I assume you're talking about the stock, but we all know what assume spells.
if the rifle groups better without the band in place, the band is what can mess with the harmonics of the barrel...so you would want to relieve the band so it doesn't touch the barrel any longer
Old 08-02-2020, 07:33 PM
Waldo Pepper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The TD had a band that was only snug and came out about half way and stopped as it snugged up on the synthetic stock, left that way it shot great except for the Walmart value pack Federal 36g from '07 or '08 and it never grouped below 3/4" and had 2" fliers about every 4 or 5 shots and out of 30 rounds fired 2 went 3" to 4" out. New CCI had no fliers and did about 1/2" group. The other camo synthetic standard 16.5" did about the same, I'll get a new set of Weaver mounts and put the Nikon 3-9x32 on it now.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:17 AM
n2omike
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
When it comes to topics like this... barrel band vs. accuracy...

People can spend HOURS in academic debates, and never prove anything.

OR

On their next trip to the range, they can print a few groups with and without the band... and see if there is any difference with THEIR gun.

There is no substitute for an actual test. It's truly that simple.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:54 PM
Roadrat
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
92% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2omike View Post
When it comes to topics like this... barrel band vs. accuracy...

People can spend HOURS in academic debates, and never prove anything.

OR

On their next trip to the range, they can print a few groups with and without the band... and see if there is any difference with THEIR gun.

There is no substitute for an actual test. It's truly that simple.
Well, you just took all the fun out of an OLD argument!!!
Old 08-03-2020, 04:11 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Crackedcornish what is the best way to relieve the barrel band?
"I just wrap a bit of sandpaper around a 3/8" deep well socket and go at it slowly 'til it fits "

That will work.. a Dremel and a barrel sander is quiker... or this is the way I do it.. PermaRelief ...

Last edited by Chaser; 08-03-2020 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-03-2020, 04:50 PM
judgejohnmd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How cool is that!!! As usual!
John in MD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk