Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-22-2020, 01:06 PM
prairie maggot
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
barrel options for a 10/22wmr

I was recently gifted a Volquartsen 22 wmr carbon fiber barrel. I don't think that it has ever been shot. In my search for a 22 wmr receiver to match the barrel, I have not found much. Volquartsen said that their receivers are not threaded and would not work. 77/22 have a longer barrel shank, so this 10/22 barrel won't work for them. I am now wondering if the Ruger 96/22m had the same barrel as the 10/22 wmr. Does anyone know if I could upgrade a 96/22m with this press in barrel, OR does anyone have any other options to take advantage or this nice barrel. Burt
Old 07-22-2020, 02:19 PM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie maggot View Post
I was recently gifted a Volquartsen 22 wmr carbon fiber barrel. I don't think that it has ever been shot. In my search for a 22 wmr receiver to match the barrel, I have not found much. Volquartsen said that their receivers are not threaded and would not work. 77/22 have a longer barrel shank, so this 10/22 barrel won't work for them. I am now wondering if the Ruger 96/22m had the same barrel as the 10/22 wmr. Does anyone know if I could upgrade a 96/22m with this press in barrel, OR does anyone have any other options to take advantage or this nice barrel. Burt
I'm confused...a Volquartsen barrel won't work in a Volquartsen receiver? Or is it just that they don't sell Mag receivers separately? And is the barrel threaded at the tenon? I didn't understand the mention of threaded receivers in there.

10/22 LR barrels will fit in the 96/22, but the 96/22 had dual extractors, so you would have to remove the inner extractor from the bolt for the 10/22 barrel to work...I'm assuming it's the same with the Mag versions
Old 07-22-2020, 02:41 PM
prairie maggot

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the reply. My guess is that this barrel was built for a Ruger 10/22 receiver that is not threaded. The new VQ actions are threaded, so this barrel was not built for the current 22 wmr VQ receivers.