Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

New Kel Tec PMR-30

19K views 207 replies 71 participants last post by  Waldo Pepper 
#1 ·
#76 ·
Just took my concealed carry class and was thinking about this for a concealed carry. I know the arguments about stopping power, etc, etc. I like the hi-cap and the low recoil, plus my instructor said that more people are killed by .22 LR, so a .22wmr should do the job.... what does everyone think? and any new news on it's release date? Thanks.

#77 ·
I use a Taurus 22 mag revolver for my conceal carry, then a semi auto (9mm) for back up. I plan on coming out firing and not having to push a slide back or carry the gun in condition one (I carry the semi-auto in condition 3). As far as release date, I keep hearing some time this month to some time in June. I paid for mine in advance. The gun dealer I am buying it from pre-sold what they coud get for $319.00 and they claim they are sticking to that price, it is not simply a deposit it is full price at least for those who ordered early.

#84 ·
this is still at the top of my short list for guns to get!. In fact, the two that I got so far this year are to keep me pacified until I get this one in my hands!

Hmmm.. .22WMR in a brick? would like a few of those... Buying the 50 rounds at a time gets a bit pricey

#86 ·
This is SOOOOO typical Kel-Tec... "Hey here's a great gun" they show it at SHOT SHOW and then two years later they start trickling into the market. The RFB was kicked down the road by about a year before they started trickling out and even now they are dribbling into the market place a few at a time.

Love Kel-Tec... Hate the tease....

#87 ·
That is exactly why I will never buy one. I can understand generating some hipe. That is just good marketing, but follow through while your buyer's interest is peaked. Ruger and Springfield Armory have mastered this. You see the new gun in an ad or on a web site and within 60 days it is in your local gun shop.

#88 ·
The argument can go on ad infinitum re caliber for SD. The PM30 is 7.5" which is not small. The key in SD for the average Joe is really putting as much lead into the BG as quickly and accurately as possible. Most average Joes cannot do this with a large caliber weapon, particularly when TSHTF. If you really practice a quick and safe draw with the PM30 and can consistently place multiple rounds COM it can do the job.:eek:man:

#91 ·
I have yet to hear of one. I have my Gunbroker search set to notify me if any are listed, so far, none! :(

This looks like a fun pistol to try, but no joy on the supply side.

#121 ·
Looks like his test guns sure didn't have any issues! :)

Wonder what the real story is at Keltec??

And y'all quit bashing Grendels, I've got two (P-30 & an R-31) which cycle perfectly...of course, I polished the heck outta the bolts & mating surfaces and only use high speed ammo in 'em ;)

I figure the PMR-30 will probably need the same treatment.

#94 ·
johnnymg said:
anyone see hide or hair of one??? second qtr release??
azmbl22 said:
Love Kel-Tec... Hate the tease....
adrian said:
Was anybody able to get a hold of one finally?
Nope. A police chief, buddy of mine, ordered 3 of them in January. One for him, one for me, and the other for a mutual friend. The dealer called the factory a couple of weeks ago, and were told that the gun has not been released for shipping yet.

As for the "tease," that seems to be the norm these days.

Personally, I own four Kel-Tec pistols already. I want one of these. I'll wait.

#95 ·
Groo here
I have a 22mag revolver, an AMT 6in and am looking at the Keltec..
The 22mag from an AMT will meet or exceed the 22lr from a RIFLE....
The 22 mag is one of the harder bullets to stop in a vest [like shooting a nail]
The AMT I have shot well when clean and you fed it correctly [Win]
If the keltec is accurate enough to hit small game out to 25 yds and
the mag works , this could be a very good B-O-B gun..
19 oz loaded-30 rds without reloading - thin-hits as hard as a 22 RIFLE
and 50 rds of 22mag weights about what 5 of my large cal revolver rds way.
NOTE to get a better view of what the different rds will do, go to the
NAA web sight-- they have the info for there guns with different
barrel lengths and then remember that you are NOT using a revolver.....

#96 ·
Groo here
I have a 22mag revolver, an AMT 6in and am looking at the Keltec..
The 22mag from an AMT will meet or exceed the 22lr from a RIFLE....
Problem with the 22WMR I found about year and a half ago when doing some crony testing with both revolver and automatic 22WMR and 22 LR from 8" barrel 22 Mag revolvers, the 22WMR automatic pistol a friend had bought and I bought one later on but it had reliability problems and factory was wishy washy and would not warranty the gun.

Anyway the 8" semi auto, S&W 48 & Dan Wesson 22WMR revolvers, and a Marlin '94M (22WMR) and 981T was tested with 5 or 6 brands and different advertised velocities.

I posted the data on another forum and got couple people upset and myself and another just quit the group when mods got involved and deleted the numbers and all my postings. Unfortunately I no longer have the actual figures, the 8" WMR auto did pretty good with only about 250 FPS average difference in velocity from the 20" barrel 1894M, but the revolver in 22 WMR was in some cases slower out the revolver then 22LR was out of the 981T, IIRC it was about a 30% velocity drop for the two revolvers. The Winchester 40gr WMR in the white box was only clocking 1075 fps to 1125 fps range out of the two revolvers. The testing led me to trade off the S&W 48 but I kept the Dan Wesson and have not used the magnum cylinder since because of all things the 22lr cylinders for those two guns the LR rounds only had about 10% velocity drop. My friend said he thought the reason being was the length on the LR cylinder being the same as WMR allowing the LR to have some real pressure build up before crossing the barrel/cylinder gap that the WMR didn't have. I'll buy that till proved different.

My guess is with a 4.5" barrel auto you will have a minimum of 10% velocity loss and maybe as much as about 15% depending on powder used and even the timing of the gun can drop the velocity some.

So if I was using this new gun (I may get one) I would stick with the higher velocity ammo. The Winchester Dynapoint in the white box is only rated at 1550 fps from a rifle while some CCI is 2150 fps and still others are even faster.

#102 ·
I'll be honest, I have never had a thing for the .22MAG. I guess I don't hunt much with a pistol that .22lr doesn't take care of just fine and if I'm plinking the cost of a .22lr is just too low. If it fits your needs it looks like a fun gun but I don't have much use for a .22MAG pistol. It could also be that I don't shoot pistols overly well and would rather a .22lr out of a rifle than a .22Mag out of a pistol, due to ammo cost and my abilities between the two. Still, for the .22Mag fan, this looks like an absolute blast. I can't wait till its our just to play around with one as I know a friend who has one "held" with the local shop when they arrive.

#106 ·
Here is the .22mag
http://www.naaminis.com/magvel.html

Here is the .22lr
http://www.naaminis.com/llrvlnew.html

this is out of a 2" barrel.

So maximags are about 150-200 feet per second faster than minimags.

So, you get faster bullet, more expansive bullet, but the main advantage is that you get 30 bullets in magazine. That is a big deal for me.
And they might even make some modified 22wmr for these handguns.

#107 ·
That's not much difference considering some of those WMR are rated 2000 to 2200 FPS out an 20" test barrel. With most of the LR ammo being 1250 to 1350 with maybe some maybe clocking 1650 FPS from rifle. That's the one problem with these charts, no listing of advertised rifle velocity by the author.

These charts fail to list type of gun, if auto or revolver were used. There is probably 50 fps to 100fps difference in LR from a revolver and a derringer. These "minor" mistakes really detract from the accuracy of basing a decision of what ammo to use because of lack of full info. The velocities percentage difference from little NAA revolvers might be as much as 20% less then their derringer because of barrel cylinder gaps.

Regardless the only advantage is a better bullet in a JHP that might not achieve enough velocity to for mushrooming and as you say 30 rounds. So you end up with in reality is a 30 round 22LR that is 2 or 3 times as expensive that most 22 auto sold by S&W, Ruger and other will shoot circles around when trying to kill a varmint. But it will be loud and fun toy to play with I guess.

#109 ·
KelTec claimed on their facebook page on 30 June that the first batch was in the testing process..... whatever that means. I didn't see a number associated with how many were in the "first batch"

Like I said before, LOVE kel-tec, but hate the tease... they never seem to make it to market when they say, they are always pushing projects to the right ....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.