New High Standard X-Series Guns - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-16-2020, 11:33 AM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I'll ask Alan about it, but first I'll check some other cases from the gun. All the rounds before and after that round worked flawlessly. I don't think I'll get a chance to get to the range today, but I'll be there tomorrow for sure.

It has had a LOT of dry-fire, which Alan told me was no problem.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:54 PM
Alan Aronstein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cartridge in Question

Pull the bullet and poor the powder on a sheet of white paper. Are there any yellow or green specks mixed in with the darker powder ?? Now take the empty case and place it in your pistol with the FP dent in the 9 oclock area. Fire the pistol with the pulled bullet case. Did it pop ?? I changed the FP metal approx 18 years ago. I DO NOT beleive that it is a FP issue !!! - Alan Aronstein
Old 02-16-2020, 08:04 PM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Alan, I have no idea how to pull a 22 bullet safely. What if I just put it back in the gun tomorrow at the 9 o'clock area, and fire it again?

I will also collect some more cases fired from this gun tomorrow.

I don't think anything is wrong - all the rounds before this one, and after this one, fired with no issue.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:20 PM
Alan Aronstein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ammunition

That is OK. Let us know if it fires. I have found at Camp Perry that every year there are some 22s that have the primer mix that has separated from inside the rim. Bob Shea would pull the bullet with pliers and, he would look for the primer mix in the powder. Also, some of the mix has NOT totally filled 360 degrees. There are just duds !!! 22 RF is less than PERFECT !!!- With thousands of rounds fired in our Repair Dept, we have a small box of duds every year in our test firing room. Alan Aronstein
Old 02-16-2020, 09:18 PM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMyers View Post
Alan, I have no idea how to pull a 22 bullet safely. What if I just put it back in the gun tomorrow at the 9 o'clock area, and fire it again?

I will also collect some more cases fired from this gun tomorrow.

I don't think anything is wrong - all the rounds before this one, and after this one, fired with no issue.
Well don't do it if you aren't comfortable. But it is easy. Just grab the bullet with a pair of pliers, wiggle it like a loose tooth and pry it out. I do this when I want a lead bullet with which to slug a barrel. You can pour out the powder into a saucer and spread it on your flower garden.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:20 PM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What do I use to hold the case, without crushing it, as I grab and wiggle the bullet end?
Old 02-16-2020, 10:21 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMyers View Post
What do I use to hold the case, without crushing it, as I grab and wiggle the bullet end?
I just hold the case with my fingers. It doesn't take that much pressure to pull the bullet out.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:25 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wproct View Post
I just hold the case with my fingers. It doesn't take that much pressure to pull the bullet out.
Yup. This. In fact the loose seating may be one of the reasons that bulk packaged bullets are always at something of a disadvantage accuracy-wise. It is not hard to knock that little pill off of true.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:22 PM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Aronstein View Post
That is OK. Let us know if it fires. I have found at Camp Perry that every year there are some 22s that have the primer mix that has separated from inside the rim. Bob Shea would pull the bullet with pliers and, he would look for the primer mix in the powder. Also, some of the mix has NOT totally filled 360 degrees. There are just duds !!! 22 RF is less than PERFECT !!!- With thousands of rounds fired in our Repair Dept, we have a small box of duds every year in our test firing room. Alan Aronstein
Alan, good idea!

I did what you suggested, and there was no primer mix in the powder. Actually, to be more specific, there was no powder! Empty!!

I guess that explains why it didn't fire, huh?
Old 02-17-2020, 08:08 PM
Alan Aronstein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New Firing Pin

I guess that the FP geometry change and, the material change has worked out. I can't say that I have ever seen a broken NEW style FP in the 18 years that they have been sold. Also, I guess that the ammunition companies aren't perfect !!! - Alan Aronstein