Using Air Rifles for improving marksmanship skills - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-04-2020, 06:56 PM
CardPuncher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouree View Post
....What would be a natural next step in backyard practice while staying below $300?

Beeman R7. < $300. Superb accuracy, excellent trigger right out of the box, light cocking force, iron sights with interchangeable inserts or mount a scope. A real sweetheart of an air rifle.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Beeman_R7_Air_Rifle/1899
Old 02-04-2020, 11:09 PM
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford8nr View Post
Cow, that lower 853 has a fantastic stock !

I've shot my 853 with the CMP trigger mod and upgraded Kimber smallbore sights as hard as I can. Last year managed to take 3rd in our clubs winter league, shooting Master Class. This year looks like 4th three quarters of the way through the season. Too many good shooters upgrading equipment, hence the Walther LGR upgrade. Not even comparable to the Daisy. Initial scores stayed the same while I learn the trigger - at least they didn't drop ! The 853 is a great gun until you shoot a true target rifle.
Stripes... (luck of the draw)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1004 stripes.JPG (97.3 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg P1000486 stripes 2.JPG (214.7 KB, 9 views)

Lizard People; Vietnam Vet; NRA Life Member; NRA Distinguished Expert Rifle; NRA Instructor Pistol
Old 02-05-2020, 10:34 AM
ford8nr
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
VERY NICE !
Old 02-05-2020, 11:58 AM
Henry88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardPuncher View Post
Beeman R7. < $300. Superb accuracy, excellent trigger right out of the box, light cocking force, iron sights with interchangeable inserts or mount a scope. A real sweetheart of an air rifle.

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Beeman_R7_Air_Rifle/1899
I've been torn between the R7 (HW30) and the R9(HW50). Living on a large property, I'm afraid I might find the R7 to be just a bit anemic. Maybe not.

I really like the power of my Walter Terras. I would guess it shoots in the high 800's to low 900's with the JB Exacts (4.5).

Right now I'm leaning towards the Diana 34.

Really need to get a chronograph.

Last edited by Henry88; 02-05-2020 at 12:00 PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:29 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry88 View Post
Right now I'm leaning towards the Diana 34.

Really need to get a chronograph.
Mine's a bit loud but the pellet went thru the first rabbit I shot in the garden, ricochet'd off a stone and slapped my neighbor's privacy fence. I was
Old 02-06-2020, 10:13 AM
tmen52

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Send a message via AIM to tmen52
Re-focusing on the OP reason for this thread... improving marksmanship skills.. my thoughts would be that the air rifle should be as similar in weight and balance as the firearm that you are trying to gain improvement with.
That considered, the RWS 34 in either .177 or .22 should certainly fit the need and price point.

I own a few break barrels of varying quality, I just added a Weihrauch HW30 (Beeman R7) and with quality ammo the consistency of accuracy amazes me in comparison to the other rifles I own....including an RWS 340 Classic.
Old 02-06-2020, 02:36 PM
Ontarget58

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For me the best part about shooting air rifles is that I can do it in my own private backyard without anyone knowing. Sometimes I relax, have a beer, and do some shooting. I have a suppressed PCP that is whisper quiet. Equipment for PCP is very expensive though. Springers are fine also for learning to be a better shooter but they tend to be inconsistent unless you spend a lot for fine German rifle. There is also more noise. Not having to travel to the range for some shooting is great.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:45 AM
tom c.
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
recoil

you might notice on the spring piston ones, if you put a scope on one. you might want to get a scope stop. it helps to keep the scope from moving down the rail. also make sure you get a scope that is airgun approved as the double recoil will knock the lens loose inside the scope. don't ask how i found out.
i was at a gun show one day at the local armory and they had a trailer in back where army reservists were shooting qualification targets, they were using daisy 853s and shooting some nice targets. i don't like break barreled air rifles as i don't like the sight mounting system on them. the best olympic rifles all seem to use under or side cocking lever guns, the barrel doesn't move. the 853 uses undercocking system, i need to get one of those before they're gone.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:25 AM
ford8nr
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
the best olympic rifles all seem to use under or side cocking lever guns,
The best Olympic guns today are all PCP.
Pre charged pneumatics.

Single stroke pneumatics are 1 or 2 gun designs out of the Olympics.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:52 AM
tom c.
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford8nr View Post
The best Olympic guns today are all PCP.
Pre charged pneumatics.

Single stroke pneumatics are 1 or 2 gun designs out of the Olympics.
i really need to catch up, i didn't know what is being used now. i think they're alot lighter as well. i need to go to a match at wvu when i get a chance.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:34 AM
JGR_LV
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Daisy FOREVER!

I'm sure I'm showing my age, but I learned to shoot a rifle offhand with a standard old Daisy BB gun, and not the fancy Red Ryder model, either. If you can hit a bottle cap at 30 feet offhand, with those stamped steel open sights and that 12-pound trigger pull, you'll be able to amaze people with a decent .22 rifle.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:38 PM
Doc25

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just bought a daisy 753 from pyramid air and think it's a pretty ok gun. Bolt feels cheap, stock trigger is horrible (as stated there is a modification for this) but it supposedly has a walther barrel and the aperature sights seem functional. I think the daisy (753,853 etc.,) would be beneficial to your sessions.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:04 PM
makofoto

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
10 meter Olympic air rifles are THE Most Accurate rifles in the world, because that great Variable ... the Charge, is most perfectly repeatable in a high end air rifle.

Here's a recent air rifle news blip, watch the video:

https://www.montanasports.com/more-s...UMC-78LtnlzknI