Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-02-2020, 08:11 AM
shagg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cracked feed tube

I have a marlin 57m that I split the top of the magazine tube trying to remove the pin and cap to replace the spring, what options do I have to repair the crack short of replacing the tube since they are like hens teeth to find?
Old 02-02-2020, 10:01 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
How long it the crack? Reshape, tack weld.?
Old 02-03-2020, 10:08 PM
shagg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's about a 1/8" half the distance from the slot to the top of the tube, I think if I turn the cap and redrill it I might be ok.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2020, 07:16 PM
popop

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It can be Tig welded and repaired so you could never tell. Then refinished in the repaired area. It is steel ? Might be cheaper and easier to just replace it if it's available

Last edited by popop; 02-04-2020 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:54 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Brownells does stock standard tubes for rim fire loaders. Check with Neumrich for a used one.

From your description I would work with the one that is on the rifle. You might lose 1 round of capacity. You will never miss it.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:32 PM
2152hq

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shagg View Post
I have a marlin 57m that I split the top of the magazine tube trying to remove the pin and cap to replace the spring, what options do I have to repair the crack short of replacing the tube since they are like hens teeth to find?
Remove the damaged end portion of that inner magazine tube and then re-install the cap and redrill for the locking pin.

See if the now slightly shortened inner magazine tube assembly will still reliably feed all the cartridges out of the tube being a 1/4+/- shorter than orig.

*Whatever amt you cut off, measure that amt carefully and save the #.

If the feeding is not 100% reliable,,then remove the Outer magazine tube and shorten that FROM THE BREECH END the *exact amt you removed from the inner mag tube to fix that*.
Replace the Outer tube back in the rifle and redrill for the pin that holds the outer tube in place and pin it.

The measuring thing and working off the breech end of the tube saves you having to cut that L shaped locking notch into the outer mag tube.

When all done I doubt you'll loose any round capacity as there is usually a bit of take up in there on the spring and follower.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:02 PM
Dean1151
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Part available?

Hey there, all might not be lost. Contact Redman's barrel relining in Omack Wachington -- http://redmansrifling.com/gun-magazine-tubes/. They might just have what you are looking for. I'd give them a call and talk it over with them. Good Luck, Randy
Old 02-09-2020, 02:22 PM
shagg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks everyone a lot of good ideas I will have to look at, sorry for not getting on sooner works been all I've gotten done last couple of weeks, but truly thanks to all.