Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-03-2019, 12:46 AM
CJWinWA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New Carbine with Walnut Stock

A few days ago I was at a local Bi-Mart store and saw a new 10/22 Carbine with a walnut stock. The stock was was nice and the rifle was priced about $50.00 more than the standard carbines.

At the time I thought i didn't need another 10/22 but went back today to buy it and it was gone. I can find nothing mention of this special edition on the Ruger site, but I know this chain gets their guns and such from Big Rock Sports.

Does anyone know the model number of this rifle?
Old 11-03-2019, 11:36 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
He said carbine.doesnt that mean barrel band?
Old 11-03-2019, 01:55 PM
CJWinWA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
He said carbine.doesnt that mean barrel band?
Indeed it had a plastic barrel band. I'm about to go on a store to store drive to see if I can find one in stock somewhere.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2019, 02:13 PM
Blackwolfe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
What is the model number on the box?
Old 11-03-2019, 03:52 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I haven't seen walnut used on a regular carbine for about 40 years..so I gotta' ask, OP how well do you know wood?
Old 11-03-2019, 05:21 PM
CJWinWA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
I haven't seen walnut used on a regular carbine for about 40 years..so I gotta' ask, OP how well do you know wood?
I know wood, that is what caught my attention. It was sitting with some other regular wood 10/22s, but stood out. The price was about $50.00 higher and the tag said walnut. It was definitely a carbine as it has a barrel band.

I went back today and asked about it, was told they only got one of them. I drove to the other locations in my area and didn't find one. Being a discount store, the folks really aren't gun nuts and have limited knowledge, just SKU numbers.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:30 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
I wouldn't waste my time driving store to store looking for one where they haven't been made in such a long time. That's not to say you can't still find one. Your best bet is to search on the internet. You can find just the walnut stocks for sale in a lot of places including the occasional one here on the Trading Post.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:37 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well you saw a Unicorn, and it got away They do that, doncha know
Old 11-03-2019, 07:55 PM
CJWinWA

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
I wouldn't waste my time driving store to store looking for one where they haven't been made in such a long time. That's not to say you can't still find one. Your best bet is to search on the internet. You can find just the walnut stocks for sale in a lot of places including the occasional one here on the Trading Post.
This one had a plastic trigger guard and barrel band. It was at a store that does not deal in used guns. It was new production and was marked "RUGER" on the bolt. It was a new gun.

I guess it was a waste of time asking if anyone knew anything about what was apparently a small special run. It seems some folks would rather argue that it just couldn't be so.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:22 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
was it one of the M1 copies? I think they had walnut stocks
Old 11-05-2019, 02:30 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJWinWA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
This one had a plastic trigger guard and barrel band. It was at a store that does not deal in used guns. It was new production and was marked "RUGER" on the bolt. It was a new gun.

I guess it was a waste of time asking if anyone knew anything about what was apparently a small special run. It seems some folks would rather argue that it just couldn't be so.
I'm not sure where you get the idea that I was trying to argue with you??? You mentioned driving around and looking for the same model. I was just pointing out that it's not worth your time as that rifle is no longer in production and the chances of seeing another one in your local area are pretty slim. There is a walnut stocked model # 1102 (deluxe sporter edition), but it doesn't have a barrel band. I even gave you a suggestion as to where you could possibly find one. But like you said "some folks would rather argue".

Last edited by Nick7274; 11-05-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:50 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
IF it had a barrel band it was a Std. Carbine.. IF.. IF it had stand out wood it was simply a very nice grained Birch/walnut stained as they all are... there are always nice grained/chatoyanced Birch stocks that pop up here and there...
And once the sludge/stain is removed it looks like this once modified to remove the barrel band notch and a nice buttpad:

Old 11-05-2019, 04:54 PM
Blackwolfe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
A few days ago I was at a local Bi-Mart store and saw a new 10/22 Carbine with a walnut stock. The stock was was nice and the rifle was priced about $50.00 more than the standard carbines.

At the time I thought i didn't need another 10/22 but went back today to buy it and it was gone. I can find nothing mention of this special edition on the Ruger site, but I know this chain gets their guns and such from Big Rock Sports.

Does anyone know the model number of this rifle?
Quote:

Not arguing, but I did some sleuthing on the net and couldn't find anything. Would have been nice to see what was printed on the box. Could have been an anomaly which Ruger has been known for on occasion. Perhaps a Walnut blank or several blanks for a different rifle was mistakenly put in the stockpile of blanks to be carved into 10-22 stocks. Someone at Ruger discovered the error and an enterprising sales rep at Ruger sold one, or a couple, new Walnut 10-22 carbines to Big Rock at a premium as a one off mistake rather than a production run or special order.

I don't know if this information is current, but you might try to contact: Red Eagle News Exchange (Chad Hiddleson - Editor), 1945 Clover Avenue, Perry, IA 50220, or call (515) 465-2057. Maybe he can give some insight.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:54 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This one is a walnut stock.

Not the configuration you are looking for though.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006871363?pid=921542
Old 11-06-2019, 08:38 PM
retiredsarge48
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
When I picked up my CZ 452 Trainer I was convinced they had put the wrong gun in the box because the wood "really" looked like a very nice walnut stock. I have been a wood worker for over 40 years and it fooled me big time. It was in fact a birch stock. My guess is that it is a Deluxe Sporter.