Colt Cadet - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:45 AM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Talking appreciate all the help

i understand the beretta neos magazines are a perfect fit also. i may go look at the "cadet" i saw at a LGS, $400. just seems too high, especially if it doesnt include box, papers etc. wouldnt it be more interesting if it said "CADET" on the slide!!?? the parts availability situation kinda scare me off, i have searched and there just doesnt seem to be any parts out there. i would be getting it to SHOOT not a safe queen. i just purchased a S&W 622 for a song--$170. --- last week, thats why the colt seems real high in price. the store owner said it was on consignment so i doubt there is any price wiggle room.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:53 PM
'ol shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (125)
There are some parts at Numrich, Bob's has a few I think, and Jack First would be another good place to look. The parts are out there. I would not let that scare me off, but I would not make it my everyday shooter either. I am convinced that this pistol was built for Colt by Beretta, the similarity to the Neos pistol is interesting. Regards.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:47 PM
jon p

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Talking interesting observation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol shooter View Post
There are some parts at Numrich, Bob's has a few I think, and Jack First would be another good place to look. The parts are out there. I would not let that scare me off, but I would not make it my everyday shooter either. I am convinced that this pistol was built for Colt by Beretta, the similarity to the Neos pistol is interesting. Regards.
it is strange that the colt and the neos are SO MUCH alike! usually magazines dont interchange between 2 different brands, wait, wow, unless they ARE made by one of the companies! i wonder what internal parts are the same, maybe parts wouldnt be too difficult to locate. i went back to LGS today, looked at the colt .22 closely this time, it is in excellent overall shape, NOT marked "CADET" and NOT the vent rib or target model. blue case, 2 mags and paperwork, 400. on consignment. i said too high, they said make an offer and we will run it by owner. i left a 300. offer, we will see what happens. i probably would go to 325, but would stop there. i just dont think i want it anymore than 325. worth,+ 25. tax. i am crossing my fingers for 300.!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2013, 07:09 PM
'ol shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (125)
Never hurts to bargain, I have taught my kids that all things are negotiable, if you are talking to the person, and that cash is king. If you do get it, make sure you put a soft cloth like flannel between it and that plastic case. Mine has a few rub marks on it from being jostled in the case. Good luck.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:40 PM
Deaconblue
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
The first ones did have "Cadet" on the side but they ran into a trademark issue with Iver Johnson who had copied the Woodsman with their Trailsman! So they had to revert to the Colt .22 name. The often repeated story is that it is a close copy of the High Standard Duramatic, another company whose ownership was in flux at the time. Of course about fifty years before that High Standard borrowed heavily from the "original" Colt 22, which became the first series Woodsman, when designing their Model B. I doubt Beretta had anything to do with the Cadet but that magazine is certainly a time proven design - about sixty years and counting!
Old 07-12-2013, 01:02 AM
'ol shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (125)
I read that it was CZ and their Kadet that made the stink, but no matter, it's still a Colt, (even if Beretta did make it for them).
Old 07-12-2013, 09:18 AM
huntsman22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's like sayin' the Umarex is still a 'colt' even tho walther done the abortion.....
Old 07-12-2013, 10:25 AM
'ol shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (125)
Tell us what you really think...
Old 07-12-2013, 04:00 PM
Richard King

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm real happy with my Colt 22, up to a point. The heavy striker and striker spring combo, ignites positively any ammo that you feed it. Even the older production, Remington Golden Bullets.

Unfortunately this comes at a price. For positive/safe function, and retention of the striker and striker spring. When the slide goes into battery. The sear and sear spring have to be very substantial. This has a negative effect on the trigger pull, that can't be easily remedied. Polishing the striker sear interface, or cutting the sear spring. Would risk the striker either bypassing the sear, or slamfiring if it slipped off the sear as the slide went into battery.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:07 PM
'ol shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (125)
I know what you mean, though the fact that the pistol weighs in heavy helps mitigate it somewhat. It is a bit of a porker. I am ready for a short break after every mag when I shoot mine. My strong young son just goes to town with it. Darn kids.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:07 PM
Deaconblue

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Ol' Shooter I've been meaning to ask you - what kind of bird is that in your avatar?? Tried looking it up but I couldn't find it....
Old 07-12-2013, 11:56 PM
'ol shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (125)
It's a roadrunner. He was entertaining the visitors at the bottom of the Palm Springs Tramway. They are really pretty fearless of humans, he would come to within a few feet, where my son got some pics of him. He liked mugging for the camera.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:05 AM
arcticap

TPC Rating: 
100% (60)
I met a Colt engineer who worked on designing this model before it went into production. And he told me that they clearly based the design on the High Standard Duramatic. After the Colt went out of production it's pretty clear that Beretta also somewhat copied the High Standard Duramatic and that's why their magazines are interchangable. However let me say that my Colts rarely if ever misfire or misfeed any rounds and don't skip a beat. Which I can't say is true for the Neos.
And I'm pretty sure that Colt will work on these guns if there's a problem. At least Colt recently did a trigger job on an unfired one for me.

Last edited by arcticap; 08-05-2013 at 12:56 AM.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:04 AM
dana.thomas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticap View Post
I met a Colt engineer who worked on designing this model before it went into production. And he told me that they clearly based the design the High Standard Duramatic. After the Colt went out of production it's pretty clear that Beretta also somewhat copied the High Standard Duramatic and that's why their magazines are interchangable. However let me say that my Colts rarely if ever misfire or misfeed any rounds and don't skip a beat. Which I can't say is true for the Neos.
And I'm pretty sure that Colt will work on these guns if there's a problem. At least Colt recently did a trigger job on an unfired one for me.
That is really interesting, thanks for posting it. Do you own a Duramatic? Do you think Colt made improvements to the Duramatic? You give me the idea of looking for one. Dana Thomas
Old 08-05-2013, 01:11 AM
arcticap

TPC Rating: 
100% (60)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dana.thomas View Post
That is really interesting, thanks for posting it. Do you own a Duramatic? Do you think Colt made improvements to the Duramatic? You give me the idea of looking for one. Dana Thomas
No, I don't own a Duramatic, I've only casually looked at them in gun shops.
I believe that the Colt is an improvement over the Duramatic even if only due to the simple fact that it's stainless. Plus I happen to believe that being the more modern made gun that it probably has some better spec's. & engineering. But that's just my subjective bias.
The Colt engineer said that some of the Colt parts may even be interchangeable with the Duramatic because that's how similar they are. However he also said that it's better to use standard velocity ammo with the Colt to save it from unnecessary wear and tear. I'm pretty sure that may also be true with the Duramatic.
And the engineer also said that Colt management did rush the entire project to bring the gun to market sooner than if they had been allowed to work more of the bugs out of it at the very beginning.
But over time the Colt guns have proven to be excellent performers to me anyway.
And since they are classics, I've heard that the Duramatics are great guns too. But when it comes to this particular model I just happen to be more of a Colt fan.

Last edited by arcticap; 08-05-2013 at 01:22 AM.