Is a 10 lbs too Heavy for Off Hand only? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:18 PM
gregbenner

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Is a 10 lbs too Heavy for Off Hand only?

If this is the wrong place to post, I apologize. Trying to focus on those of you who shoot offhand since my intent is to only shoot that way. I am very new to both rifle and off hand shooing (bullseye pistol shooter). Just fyi, I am 69.

My new 10/22 (Kidd barreled receiver/ heavy stock with Weaver scope) weighs right at 10 pounds. It seems pretty heavy, but so far I am shooting it "OK" at 25y, keeping it in the black on the A23 target. Is this a decent weight, or perhaps too heavy for offhand only?

The reason I am asking is when I started bullseye pistol I really favored the lighter pistols and sort go went in that direction. However, as I started shooting a lot, and likely developed some specific muscles I realized I actually prefer a heavier pistol (shooting offhand, one handed).

I have tried to so some research but it seems most shooting disciplines involve prone and kneeling positions.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:22 PM
JEE
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (67)
I kinda like the extra weight offhand... seems to help keep it steady...er.
Old 04-02-2018, 01:32 PM
acorneau

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
If you've got good form then a heavier rifle will be more stable.

I have three rifles I shoot off-hand for silhouette (two air rifles and an Anschutz 22LR). I shoot the 10.5-11 lb. rifles better than the 8.5 lb. rifle in large part because of the weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2018, 01:44 PM
wanderinwalker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My experience says balance and weight are crucial to good offhand shooting. Balance more so than weight. When I was shooting Highpower my AR15 weighed about 13 pounds and balanced between the mag well and pistol grip. The Winchester 52 I used for a couple of winters for 50 foot 4P shooting was very nose heavy, which made it difficult for me to use offhand.
A balanced 10 pound rifle will be a dream to shoot offhand. An unbalanced one will frustrate you, no matter what it weighs.
(Last note: I always notice excessive gun weight most when shooting prone.)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2018, 02:02 PM
gregbenner

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Wow. Thanks guys. I am in a high learning mode, 1st time I have used a scope as well (vs a dot sight). I think right now I shoot the rifle better with the dot sight, but that is probably because of a zillion rounds shot thru my pistols.

I currently have a Kidd 16.5" bull barrel and a Volquartson Inferno stock (looked cool). Just ordered a Bell and Carlson Odyssey stock.

Need to focus on the balance, and practice practice
Old 04-02-2018, 02:23 PM
CardPuncher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderinwalker View Post
... balance and weight are crucial to good offhand shooting. Balance more so than weight....
I'm older than the OP. I shoot silhouettes with a modified 10/22 or a CZ 455, both of which are about 7 pounds including scopes and that's about my limit. Both have tapered barrels around 16 & 18 inches. I have used an 18-inch solid stainless bull barrel that's a tack-driver off a rest but it's too heavy for offhand shooting and silhouettes. Especially shooting 2 40-round matches back-to-back.

I'd be surprised if you didn't do better with a few pounds less, assuming the balance is good and you're shooting more than a very few shots at a time.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:40 PM
gregbenner

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardPuncher View Post
I'm older than the OP. I shoot silhouettes with a modified 10/22 or a CZ 455, both of which are about 7 pounds including scopes and that's about my limit. Both have tapered barrels around 16 & 18 inches. I have used an 18-inch solid stainless bull barrel that's a tack-driver off a rest but it's too heavy for offhand shooting and silhouettes. Especially shooting 2 40-round matches back-to-back.

I'd be surprised if you didn't do better with a few pounds less, assuming the balance is good and you're shooting more than a very few shots at a time.
I just ordered another stock which is lighter, so will definitely try it.

I generally shoot in 5 shot string, sort of a timed fire mode, i.e. without breathing in between. I do have an original Ruger stock which I could try as well.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:52 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
I think with the shorter barrel you'll be fine as long as your not having to hold it for long periods of time. The longer barrels 20"+ tend to be a little nose heavy which is fine off the bench but not so much shooting offhand.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:33 PM
72coupe
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I shoot a Kimber 82G that weighs 12 pounds and seems about right for me. I shoot iron sights and usually shoot around 470.

I know several very good offhand shooter and they all prefer a muzzle heavy rifle.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:21 PM
NoSecondBest
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Odd that no one mentioned stock fit and focused on weight. You might handle 10lbs with no trouble, or have nothing but trouble with it if it's too long. A gun that doesn't fit will cause more problems than weight alone will. I struggled a long time shooting off hand until I picked the brains of several nationally good shooters who pointed this out to me. After getting a gun that fit my scores and shooting went way up.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:19 AM
ayetee

TPC Rating: 
100% (32)
This was my silhouette rifle before I went to a 54.18 sporter. It weights 9.6 pounds and I'm 67.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PB120121c.jpg (128.8 KB, 25 views)
Old 04-04-2018, 09:01 PM
cowboy4

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbenner View Post
I just ordered another stock which is lighter, so will definitely try it....
Balance changes when stocks of different weights are used. I’ve been shooting silhouette for 15+ years. During that time I’ve found (or built) a plethora of accurate rifles. I found the quickest way to set myself back was to change/alter stocks to make weight that also altered balance. I had a pencil thin barrel on an Anschutz 54 and fitted with a stock made from yellow poplar. Though it was very light (under 7.5 with a scope) I shot some nice scores with it primarily because it was so well balanced. When I went to a heavier barrel I had to put lead in the buttstock.

Last edited by cowboy4; 04-05-2018 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Fixing the #%@! mess that autocorrect caused.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:01 PM
Bob4BVM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Glad you are shooting with us Greg !
Both my O/H rifles are Kimber 82G's. Both have been modded by me for a good fit and balance (very slightly muzzle-heavy) . I have actually added a bit of lead under the buttplates to get the balance I want. Of course the 82G is a position rifle by design, so it was a good starting platform for getting exactly what I wanted for O/H.
The scoped gun is ~13#, the irons gun ~11.5#
I am 68, average build, and I find that using proper O/H form **(bone support) the weights are no problem at all. If I shot with muscle-support form, these guns would kill me.
As you know by now our 25Yd matches are 50 shots. On a good day I can shoot two sets back to back no problem. Then there is 72Coupe, who sometimes shoots 5 or 6 sets back to back, also with a 82G...he is our local Superman. His scores also reflect his dedication to the great sport of O/H shooting.

So is weight a help or hindrance ? I have a little custom-stocked Marlin bolt that fits me like a glove, it is my 'woods gun' , a joy to carry. It weighs 4.5#. With it I have great trouble getting within 20 points of my 82G O/H scores...

**Take a look in our "Offhand reference material" thread here, there is some excellent guidance from some very good O/O shooters in there, it will give you a good jump-start into O/H
All the best,
Bob4BVM

Last edited by Bob4BVM; 04-05-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:17 AM
crankythunder

Burrokratic Republic of Michigan, Cubicle LVW-2a19d, Rock Number 3
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I think my rifle is too heavy..........

My 52c with roy dunlop hardware and bull barrel weighs about 18 pounds with unertl scope.

Wears me out doing a four position match. Make ya groan!

Lot more comfortable with my 10 pound kimber, 8 pound savage anschutz, or 7 pound 513 t. but the scores are not as good.

Regards,
Crankster

www.ccrcpistolteam.weebly.com
www.ccrcrifleteam.weebly.com
Old 04-07-2018, 10:47 AM
gregbenner

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Really appreciate all the responses. The new stock I purchased is a thumbhole (Archangel). It is two lbs lighter, and I like it, although as many have mentioned, I don't seem to shoot it better.

I have medium size hands and am noticing that the reach to the trigger is almost too long. I'm going to try to take some measurements comparing the reach from the trigger to where the web of the the hand is on a couple of my adjustable pistols and compare the reach.

Does anyone sell thumbhole stocks where you can specify more to less reach to the trigger? Kind of like a medium size pistol grip vs large or XL?I haven't noticed that this measurement is specified anywhere. I have done some preliminary searches, but no luck. Perhaps I will post a separate thread?

Last edited by gregbenner; 04-22-2018 at 02:18 PM.