Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

44US firing pin/striker

393 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Burt 
#1 ·
I'm new here, so I hope I'm not going over old ground. Please excuse me if I am.

I have a Mossberg 44US and have just taken it apart for a check over and to clean and lube. I noticed that the firing pin (or striker) has a slight curve to it, is this correct? It slides in the bolt okay and I thought perhaps it was made this way to give a little resistance instead of being 'free-floating'?

#3 ·
Curves Must Be A She

I have not run into any bent firing pins in all my mosseys and I have (a few) .When I disasemble my bolts I clean the entire thing and relube from the striker and spg thru to the bolt face.Many time the pins have a rough edge from wear etc. I lie them flat on a piece of emery paper on a piece of glass and polish the high spots b/4 reasembing them. I have never had a miss fire or problems doing this. the correct pins are >
--Jim-- the Mossberg Junkie

#4 ·
Well...this one has a curve to it, won't lay flat on either side. I will see what I can do to get it back to straight, if not then I'll check with one of the venders for a new one...darn-it! Are these things tempered or spring steel by chance?

#5 ·
I did get most of the big curve out of it, now it has a zig-zag type shape to it. Can't see it by just looking at it but it showed up when rubbing it on the stone I have for doing triggers and such..the stone is flat. I also figured I would see what I could do for the trigger pull on it, need a new pin/striker anyway. I have it down from the 'purchased' trigger pull of 6lb down to 4.5lb pull and will see if changing the angle of contact of trigger and pin/striker will make any improvement. Still a crisp pull, just want to see if I can lower the pull weight. What is a standard trigger pull on the 44US, any ideas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.