Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Factory squirrel engraving in stock?

10K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  MilsurpMonkey 
#1 ·
Got a Marlin 99M1 that a friend is looking to sell, he is wondering about value and was told it had a rare factory stock on it. My questions are- is the squirrel carving factory? What would approximate value be? Thanks for any help folks!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
First off that is a nice 99m1 it has a walnut stock and looks like a factory engraved squirrel. They are hard to find and desirable, it also appears to have the original rear sight that is also a plus as they go for around $100 by themselves. I am no expert but I estimate the value as it sits approx 3 to $400. A nice one with a non squirrel stock will sell for around 2 to $250.

#7 · (Edited)
Well looking around marlin did indeed do these squirrel carvings on 99m1s and more commonly a few 39a rifles. Trying to find better pics of other carvings to compare, but no close ups so far. Looks like I’ve got some more research to do. But I’m leaning towards factory based on these

Attachments

#8 ·
I recently attended a local gun show where there were three M1. All were in nice, clean, condition and all were in the $200-$230 range - before dickering. I bought one of them.

This one has great wood and appears to be in very good condition. IF the carving is factory I would go to $300 - 350 for it. JMHO

#9 ·
Is it just me or does the carving on your rifle look 'different' from the Armslist postings? Yours looks like 'less detail' in the squirrel's tail and body and different shape of the head. Maybe just from wear?? and one pic is very blurry - the one with the light shade of wood.
I've never handled one with the carving, just the pressed squirrel at the grip.

#11 ·
Can't be from wear as this stock has nothing but a few safe dings. The rifle was never used much at least from 1970 to present as it has had the same owner, but he bought it used. First one I've ever seen to even look at. I might pick it up from him, I told him it was probably a $300 gun, possibly more at auction, so he said I could pay him $150 and take it. Probably grab it when he stops by today. It will look good next to my 989M2.

#18 ·
This is a 90th anniversary of the Marlin company. Made in 1960. This one I did a refinish of the wood and a complete recutting of the checkering on stock and fore arm. Made new white spacers and fit a new butt plate. The hand checkering on Marlin's deluxe models was poorly done for being on their top of the line models. They had cross overs in the lines and not finished out to the borders and the borders on the patterns were poorly cut. They also had a huge amount of over runs.

#22 ·
I purchased one new in 1972. Sold as a Coast to Coast model 46. Still have it in the safe. Has the squirrel engraving that was pressed in the stock. Wasn’t even pressed in evenly. Didn’t care then or now but will not get rid of it as it’s the first Gun I ever bought. Thinking back on it I got it for about 27 dollars for the rifle, a scope, and a box of ammo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.