Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-26-2018, 01:34 PM
Quint
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New to me 25N, new to forum

Hello everyone. Have enjoyed getting some info from this forum in the past on a few occasions decided to finally register. Stopped in the local Cabelas yesterday (have been looking for a bolt action 22lr). Found a used 25N, build date of 1998 for $150.

Gun is pretty much imaculate. No scratches on the stock, only wear on any blueing is the bolt and its minimal. Will post some pics later. Couldnt pass it up.

Only question so far is are there any parts that generally fail which I should get some spares of? From what little Ive ready they are relatively dependable guns.
Old 10-26-2018, 05:18 PM
cabin22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome to RFC! I bought my 25N new in 1992, shot it a lot, used it to teach both my boys to shoot, and nothing has failed on it yet. I have no idea how many rounds have been through it. I did replace the trigger spring a few years back, but that was to lower the pull weight, not because it broke. It is a pretty simple gun, and very reliable. I don't think you need to stockpile any spare parts for it. Just go shoot it.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:18 AM
Quint
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got a chance to shoot it today. Got some quiet stuff to try out. CCI subsonics, quiets, CB 22L. All shot well however the 22Ls with there shorter bullet would cause the last one in the magazine to pop up and not feed correctly. If I loaded a quiet first then the rest 22Ls I wouldnt have any issues.

The 22Ls were the quietest followed very closely by the quiets and then a decent increase in report from the subsonics but they were still not too bad.

The wife did great with it also, couple of shots and she was killing the soda cans at 25yds.

Question, is this rear site the original on these guys? I thought they had that slide step (?) style.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marlin 25N.jpg (226.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Marlin 25N 3.jpg (254.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Marlin 25N 1.jpg (171.9 KB, 123 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2018, 01:29 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quint sir to start with to RFC where we here will help you spend more money on rimfire stuff than you ever dreamed of...I know I have and love every minute of it. we are like family here to help you with anything you need just ask and see what happens. I love it here.

Nice looking Marlin there super clean and be careful they multiply...just ask me how I know.

There are a lot of nice ones out there...welcome aboard

Signalman
Old 10-28-2018, 01:47 AM
Quint
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Signalman, Ive checked out many of your pics some very nice guns.

So far Ive only got 2 rimfires, this 25N and a Buckmark Hunter. That Hunter is a very accurate pistol out of the box.

Trying to decide if I want to get a 22mag next but not sure if I want to add another round to the stable. Having 45, 40, 357/38, 9mm, 5.56, and 308 on top of the 22lr ...... whats one more right.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:10 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Smile Nice start

Nice looking Marlin. No spare parts are needed , nothing on that gun is going to break. Ok maybe a firin pin if someone dri fires it too much.

Welcome to the best gun forum.These folks know a lot , and generously share the information .

Your sight looks original to me, but I am no expert. What I can tell you, is if you scope it, be carefull of ring height selection, as the first time I scoped mine , I put the scope down low , got to the range and found I couldnít run the bolt because the ocular bell interfered with the bolt Handel. Back to the drawing board.

As for a different caliber , I hear they are great, but Iím still exploring 22lr, so havenít jumped there yet. No quiets in HMR.

Have fun, the Marlin is a great start in Rimfire, but there are many more flavors!
Old 10-28-2018, 08:38 AM
Namboonie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

You were in the right place at the right time. Your first Marlin rimfire rifle is a beauty. Always great when you find a nice one at a good price.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:37 AM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You did great on that gun. To answer your question, that is not the original rear sight. My old 25N and my newer XT22M both have the basic sliding notched ramp style rear sight. I don't know who made that rear sight but it is better than the factory one. Apparently, I was wrong. Just because my Marlins don't have this sight doesn't mean the factory didn't put it on other examples. Never say never...

It shouldn't be a problem scoping it either if that's in the future. So many scopes & rings out there, it will be no problem getting proper clearances.

Good thing that your wife enjoys it too; that's always a plus.

Last edited by cabin22; 10-31-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:42 AM
toomanyguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
VERY nice rifle. Someone took good care of it.

I think you are right about the rear sight, but I can't say with certainty that it is not the original. It is a nice sight, though.

I used to have a 25N but regrettably traded it.

In case you did not already know, the 25N uses the same mags as other Marlins, such as the 795 and the XT.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:36 AM
JMKnowles

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very nice rifle, you got a good deal on it too.

I have a 25N also and love it. Great shooting rifles !
Old 10-28-2018, 12:08 PM
Quint
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks everyone. It was a joy to shoot with the iron sights however wont rule out throwing a scope on in the future. Ill keep the spacing in mind for bolt clearance.

It came with one mag and I bought one more which works just as well.

The trigger pull is not bad, was looking at the spring mod but either someone has already done it or Ive been shooting too many air rifles lately to think it is bad.

I think first mod will be getting a old take off stock that I can modify/clean up to shorten the length of pull for my wife and oldest daughter (eventually, she is 5 right now).
Old 10-28-2018, 12:46 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For the price of a take off stock you can buy a Savage Rascal.. or for a little more a Savage Mark II youth. Or for a little more a CZ scout. All shoot great. And have the short lop you want for wife and daughter. Donít be surprised when they out shoot you!
Old 10-28-2018, 01:09 PM
Quint
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toomany22s View Post
For the price of a take off stock you can buy a Savage Rascal.. or for a little more a Savage Mark II youth. Or for a little more a CZ scout. All shoot great. And have the short lop you want for wife and daughter. Donít be surprised when they out shoot you!
Good excuse for another rifle

My wife has an uncanny ability to shoot about anything for the first time and hit bullseyes or darn close. She never really shot anything before marrying me so have gotten her started. First with pistols, then talked her into trying my AR (which she was scared of at first) and didnt get it back till the end of the day.

Wouldnt mind getting one of the CZ Scouts but they are a little pricey around my area atleast new and bolt action 22LRs dont seem to last long when they show up, but always keep an eye out when I can.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:27 PM
wtb22hp
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome Quint, nice rifle!
Old 10-31-2018, 08:55 AM
SLee84

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome! That rear sight is factory. I have one that was made late 90s or very early 00s an it has the same sight. My nephew's youth model 15YN has the same rear sight also. They are a good gun, mine has killed a pile of small game an is very accurate. Mine likes Rem Golden Bullets. I always liked Marlins stocks so I'd hate to see you switch the stock. I think if I was you I'd look into a Ruger American Rimfire that has the shorter LOP that you can swap with the longer one. Plus you'll have another rimfire. Lol