Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Wobbly Trigger

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Alan Aronstein 
#1 · (Edited)
The Trigger on my Hamden Victor does have a bit of excess side to side play in it, especially when compared to the same part on my East Hartford Victor. I am not a gunsmith, but am thinking of correcting this myself.

Studying the exploded diagram in the owner's manual, it's possible that one or two parts may be worn and are the cause of the unwanted lateral movement. They would be:

PART NO. 10525 - Trigger

PART NO. 10530 - Trigger Pin

Replacing the Trigger Pin with a new one looks like it would be a snap. This Pin simply goes through the holes in the Trigger and the Frame, thus securing the both of them together. Replacing the Trigger seems to be a totally different story. According to the manual, this part must be factory fitted. Exactly what would be required here? Isn't this just a drop in part?

Part NO. 10911 is called the Sear Bar & Trigger Pull Pin Assembly. The front end of it has a Pin which is inserted into a second, different hole in the Trigger. The back end moves the Sear. This Assembly also is supposed to be factory fitted as well. However, it will not be replaced as I don't see how it could be causing the sideways slop in the Trigger.

Nothing will be done to the engagement surfaces of the Sear and Hammer. Work of this nature is beyond my pay grade and is not needed or desired. I am thinking that replacing the Trigger Pin, the Trigger or both would tighten things up. Am I correct on this? Is there something that is being overlooked? (If the Trigger is replaced, its Stop Screw may need to be adjusted; an easy task for me to do).

I have a copy of "The Gun Digest Book of FIREARMS ASSEMBLY/DISASSEMBLY Part l : Automatic Pistols, 2nd Edition" by J.B. Wood. The step by step photos and text in it show how to detail strip a High Standard Sharpshooter, which is similar to my Victor. By following the instructions, I would be comfortable fully disassembling the pistol in order to change out the parts that may be worn.

Do you have any advice for me regarding this project? Thank you.

See less See more
#2 ·
Side play is either a wallowed or too large a hole in the trigger, or loose pin on bar. Or just needing shim washers on the trigger pin either side of the trigger.

#3 ·
Trigger Issues

I have seen loose triggers but, they were rare. Most have to do with fitting of the trigger post so that you can rotate the trigger to install it in the frame. Note: this would be one of the interesting things that I would like to see them train a CNC machine to do !!! Most of these problems at the TX plant came from trainees. I don't believe that any left the plant. I would bet that was the same in Conn. The trigger pin is a dowel pin. They are made to have a tough core and surface hardened for wear. The triggers are sintered iron that is hardened. I have seen a very few triggers wear thru the surface of the pin. I think that I have seen more broken trigger pins than worn ones. If this just happened one day, you might have a broken trigger pin. - Alan Aronstein

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.