Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Lets see your BR rigs!

59K views 121 replies 64 participants last post by  deellwood 
#1 ·
I have been searching high and low for info on rimfire BR rigs, and have dug through most of the posts on this board since the begining. But many of the older posts have lost their pics.

I would like to see some cool BR pics! Rests,Rifles stocks , home made gizmos for BR whatever you have.

We need a good thread of pictures to inspire us new to BR guys :confused:

Thanks

Mike

#3 ·
this is a H&R M12 that I just got done with, the stock was a cut short when I got it so I cut inches off the forarm and added 9 pieces of wood and cam up with what you see. The barrel was cut down to 22 inches and was drilled and tapped. and all other parts on the gun were homemade.

#16 ·
My Suhl 150

Suhl 150 - Benchmark 17.5 twist - Hoehn Tuner - Weaver T36.
This is my first rf BR gun. Shot ARA sanctioned matches this year. Had a great time and did okay. Learned a lot. Met a lot of wonderful people. One more match this year and I'd like to send the gun out to have a smith give it a good going over.

Michael​

#18 ·
Truthfully, as far as ammo, I didn't have time for ammo testing, and I'm not sure I'm a good enough shooter to really be able to tell what is best. Ron sent me some Eley Red Box that shot well in the rifle. I bought a couple of bricks of Black Box that Bob Collins said was shooting pretty well. It was the closest to the velocity of the stuff that Ron had sent me.

When I first shot it, I really didn't like it, but then, I won my second match, so I liked it. Frankly, at my stage of noviceness (novicenicity?), I think that my technique and ability to read the flags is way more of a concern than the ammo. Obviously, I will buy as good ammo as I can afford, but I need to work on shooting more than I will worry about ammo, just yet. I think it is more of a factor amongst the good, experienced shooters than beginners like me.

The gator bag isn't bad, at all. I was scared to order the taller one when I read the possible filled weight, but I wish I had now. I ended up cutting a 1/4 inch piece of plywood in the shape of the bottom of the bag to give me a little extra height. Of course, I don't have to walk half a mile to the range, either :eek:

I was finally able to pick up a Leupy with a dot, so after the last match I changed that. It is really hard for me to find the intersection of the crosshairs quickly, and I think the dot might help. I hope to get to shoot some green monsters this month to try it out.

Another thing I need is tripod bases for the windflags. It's hard to pound in the posts here in New England.

Aside from trigger techniques, I think the one most valuable technique that I was able to develop this year, was using both eyes open and being able to look through the scope and also be able to see the wind flags besides. That finally all came together at my last match and I felt very good about it.

#19 ·
I think it would be novitiate, but I'm going to pop novicenicity on a word-smith buddy and see if he calls me on it. If he buys it, I shall harangue him inexorably for his noviceniciousness. :D

Somehow I was guessing Eley ammo, perhaps something about the rifle's appearance suggested that. Hard for me to explain, I'm just intuitive that way.

Those small folding music stands that Bill Sims uses on his windicators fold up nicely and are light. I have some tubular music stands that are bulkier, heavier, and a bit sturdier when upright, can give you a link if interested.

Sesquipedalianly yours,
Ben

Edit: I have the SEB Bigfoot bag, filled with heavy sand it is about 30 pounds. It was the sandbag that broke my range camel's back, now i have to buy a new cart.

#20 ·
Carnac, I bow to your psychic ability :p

If you know of some really sturdy tripod stands I would appreciate a link. Music stands just aren't going to cut it around here, I'm afraid. I really want something that spreads very flat and has some weight to it. The ground is bumpy, and the wind is swirly, always. I'm afraid that anything too lightweight will tend to blow over.

I have seen some nice stands, I just can't remember who had them. They may have been Wick's stands, I'm not sure.

#21 ·
Wick's are nice, low center of gravity, I have 2. I think they are a PITA to set up, and I stopped using them. They have a lot of thumb screws on them, with plastic heads that get broken when the stands are in my "tripod bag".

The music stands that Bill Sims uses can open so the legs are flat. He sends a bungee cord and recommends a weight like a tuna can full of lead shot. But I bought 12 lb bright orange dumbells from WalMart and bungee down. More weight to cart around though.

These are mine, made from these heavy duty folding music stands:

#22 ·
Ben B. said:
Wick's are nice, low center of gravity, I have 2. I think they are a PITA to set up, and I stopped using them. They have a lot of thumb screws on them, with plastic heads that get broken when the stands are in my "tripod bag".

The music stands that Bill Sims uses can open so the legs are flat. He sends a bungee cord and recommends a weight like a tuna can full of lead shot. But I bought 12 lb bright orange dumbells from WalMart and bungee down. More weight to cart around though.

These are mine, made from these heavy duty folding music stands:
Tuna can:confused: i thought that smell and you being late to the match meant you had been fishing.

Randy

#24 ·
Ben B. said:
...He sends a bungee cord and recommends a weight like a tuna can full of lead shot. But I bought 12 lb bright orange dumbells\...
randymac said:
Tuna can:confused: i thought that smell and you being late to the match meant you had been fishing.
I was just speaking of dumbells, and look who shows up...:D

I told you, I had a wild night in the Pike Place fish market and next thing I knew, I woke up in a pile of ice...:eek: Thanks for saving me a nice bench over the "Pit", by the way.:shakehead
:D
Ben

#25 ·
MKnarr said:
Claybuster, I like the block under your bag. My front rest doesn't go down far enough to suit me so I cut a 1 3/8 thick piece of poplar, covered it with leather and nailed my protector bag to it. Now I have plenty of "down" adjustment and it gets my head much more erect. I no longer feel that I'm laying my head over to look through the scope.
Thanks, MKnarr. Mine was always too low so I always had to set it on something. But I had also modified my stock so the bottom of the rear was parallel to the bore. But the "trough" in the bag was slanted. This compensates for the angle & raises it up enough too.

#26 ·
Ben B. said:
I was just speaking of dumbells, and look who shows up...:D

I told you, I had a wild night in the Pike Place fish market and next thing I knew, I woke up in a pile of ice...:eek: Thanks for saving me a nice bench over the "Pit", by the way.:shakehead
:D
Ben
On sunday when we rotated benchs the pit ate me up.:eek: it was crazy, the flags showing the wind one direction and the bullet going the oposite.:eek: maybe it was because i couldn't see the target for all the fly's buzzing around the tuna can you left.:D

Randy