Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-14-2018, 06:25 AM
MartyH
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Remove XT22 tube feed for accuracy

Has anyone removed the tube from their XT-22 tube fed gun for the sake of trying to improve accuracy? I can't decide if the tube which is attached to the barrel by a dovetail clamp is theoretically negatively effecting accuracy or if it is a positive because it helps stiffen the barrel?
Old 11-14-2018, 09:17 AM
tickridger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
JMHO but I would suggest it is neither. I would think that other factors including stock contact (bedding) would be primary contributors.

John
Old 11-15-2018, 12:12 AM
Henry88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Are you having problems with accuracy or just asking?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2018, 04:20 PM
MartyH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I wouldn't say there is a problem. I'm just trying to make the gun as accurate as practical. It's in a Boyd's thumbhole stock. I shoot it as a single shot rifle. I went ahead and removed the tube feed, the bracket that holds it to the barrel and also removed the front sight so there is now nothing on the barrel. The barrel is floated from about 2" forward of the mounting pillar. This picture still shows the Pro-Fire trigger installed. It is dialed as low as it goes. I'm guessing it's a little less than 3 lbs? Tonight I pulled the 6oz Jard trigger out of my heavy barrel XT-22 bolt rifle and put it in this stainless tapered barreled gun.

20181114_131601.jpg

Last edited by MartyH; 11-15-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:30 PM

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Well I missed the last post that it's already pulled apart. So selling it and getting a mag fed doesn't mater.

Last edited by scooter22; 11-15-2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:48 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
My thoughts exactly!
Old 11-15-2018, 06:15 PM
MartyH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter22 View Post
Well I missed the last post that it's already pulled apart. So selling it and getting a mag fed doesn't mater.
I have no interest in selling the gun and I already own an XT-22 heavy barrel also in a Boyd stock with Jard trigger and single shot adapter. There isn't much to removing the pieces that I took off the XT-22TSR. Nothing is damaged in the process and everything can be put back in just a few minutes.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:19 PM

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyH View Post
I have no interest in selling the gun and I already own an XT-22 heavy barrel also in a Boyd stock with Jard trigger and single shot adapter. There isn't much to removing the pieces that I took off the XT-22TSR. Nothing is damaged in the process and everything can be put back in just a few minutes.
I didn't know how much you had into it. I thought it was a stock rifle you could sell and get a mag feed. Looks good. I hope you get it where you want it.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:28 AM
tickridger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You have the heavy barrel model for target. This is not a target model so JMHO shoot it and enjoy a nice rifle. I know this is not what you want to hear but the chase of a single hole seems futile without a large investment. Good luck.

John
Old 11-16-2018, 05:30 PM
MartyH

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickridger View Post
You have the heavy barrel model for target. This is not a target model so JMHO shoot it and enjoy a nice rifle. I know this is not what you want to hear but the chase of a single hole seems futile without a large investment. Good luck.

John
I'm not chasing a single hole. I said I am interested in making the rifle as accurate as is practical, not possible. Practical. Removing the tube assembly cost nothing and it turns out is easily returned. Same with the front sight. I borrowed the Jard trigger off my XT22VR so that cost nothing to try as well. I don't expect either of my XT-22s to shoot like either of my Anschutz. I'm just tinkering a bit and enjoying all of my rifles.

The original question is, does removing the feed tube from any of the Marlin tube fed bolt action 22lr rifles and particularly on the stainless barrel XT-22TSR help or hurt accuracy? As I have now already removed all the pieces now, I will eventually find out for myself. Its too cold and windy now to do anything meaningful outside right now. For me the gun looks much nicer as a target crowned tapered stainless barrel devoid of the feed tube. Even if it doesn't improve accuracy, I'll probably keep it this way.