Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-02-2018, 09:11 PM
bczrx
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Marlin 783 Sear/Hammer/Bolt issue- help

Hello All,

I picked up a 783 and finally got some range time with it.

I have read the threads on lightening the trigger pull- for hours. This is NOT about that. [and no, I haven't tried any of those tips yet.]

My issue:
  1. When 'slamming' the bolt home the striker pops off the sear and I have to re-cock the bolt before I can fire.
  2. If I gently push the bolt forward this usually doesn't happen.
  3. If I move the bolt aggressively [not abusively], the striker [is this the right term?] pops off the sear about 1/4 of the time. The harder I move it, the more frequent it is.
Now, the trigger pull feels under 4lbs. I would say around 2.5-3lbs.

I have NOT touched/modified anything inside, but the previous owner/s [don't know its history] could have.

The springs appear 'normal' and not shortened. They don't look like any bic lighter springs or similar additions.

It seems that the angled section of the striker is moving forward so far that it is either compressing the sear enough to slide past, or something was reworked to cause the sear to not engage as fully as it should.

My questions:
  1. is there any part of the trigger itself that could be reworked enough to let the sear pivot down out of engagement?
  2. Or, should I be looking exclusively at the sear/striker engagement area?

Thanks for any tips you can provide.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:39 AM
BulletBait

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Too light of pull for factory.. By looking, impossible to tell a Bic spring from factory.
I put a Bic in my 783. A previous owner probably smoothed trigger and sear parts with an angle grinder. Try cocking smoothly then butt bounce and see if it goes off.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:26 AM
bczrx

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletBait View Post
Too light of pull for factory.. By looking, impossible to tell a Bic spring from factory.
I put a Bic in my 783. A previous owner probably smoothed trigger and sear parts with an angle grinder. Try cocking smoothly then butt bounce and see if it goes off.
Will do- when I get home.

One thing I remember that struck me was the sear/striker interface angle.

The striker is angled the same all around, and I am not sure what the sear angle is supposed to be. with the bevel/angle to the striker, a right angle would require a heck of a lot of spring tension to stop the striker from riding over. If the sear is designed to kind of 'dig in' to that angle, and pulling trigger causes the sear angle to let the striker angle slide over the sear, that would make sense. I remember a bit of a line 'dug' into the striker face from the sear. But, I don't know if this is normal.

I am more familiar with right angle interfaces- a la 1911, BHP, High Standards, Springfield 1903, mauser 1895, Stevens 258A, etc.

Does anyone have a picture of the underside of their bolt so I can see what normal/appropriate wear marks are?

Thanks.

Last edited by bczrx; 11-03-2018 at 11:29 AM.