Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Which Production Bolt (Action) Would You Choose To Build a Sporter Rifle and Why

4K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  grg 
#1 ·
Just as the title said I keep wondering of all the new and old bolt actions rifles out there, which ones are the best to work with in building a new Sporter/squirrel rifle? I have really loved working with the Remington 581 action but they are getting harder to find and the price is getting a little higher. These are a rifle that if you have had one you have probably found it to be very accurate. I didn't necessarily rebuild or modifiy them to make a more accurate Sporter but did it to make something more "special" to me and my son's. I might like a different stock, trigger, barrel or everything but wanted to make sure the action I started with was worth the time and effort to build around. In this thread I'm not looking for people to comment on how it was already plenty accurate or why would you spend more money on a gun that already shot well etc. That's no different than saying why would you go to a bar and spend $3.50 on a beer that you can drink at home for $1.00, you may do that for many reasons but odds are you are getting some kind of enjoyment out of it.

Right now I will keep scrounging for 581 actions as I love using them for builds, I think they are a great platform. As some of these new rifles, CZ 457, Tikka T1x, Lithgow etc, become more available on the used market there will be deals available to the sharp eye and they will be used for builds. If they prove to be exceptional platforms they will be bought new and pulled apart as DJ and others have shown us these can be even better rifles . It's not a negative towards the rifle but a compliment towards the action so don't start getting offended if you think yours is the greatest rifle ever and why would anyone every destroy one. I personally had a hard time convincing myself to pull apart my first 581 as they aren't made anymore and you can't replace them but mainly it already shot better than a lot of people are happy with in the squirrel woods.. My last build I pulled apart a very nice early production, small port walnut stocked 581 but I absolutely love the gun I built with it. Would I do this to an all original, primo condition Remington model 37 that I had to pay $1800 for?, I doubt it but that is a highly collectable gun and I am a cheapskate. Haha

Anyway, if you like to play and want to build, what platform do you think looks best? I am really getting interested in the CZ 457 and the Tikka T1x. They are starting out in a price range that as used ones come back onto the market may be priced very well. Say a CZ 457 Scout used may be $250ish or a Tikka could land in that upper $300 range?. If I knew of a custom action that was a repeater, light weight, and in that $3-400 range I would also really look at it. If some of these actions were available new in a decent price range I would just go that route but typically if you can buy a new action the price is more than a complete used gun. Also when your done dismantling a used gun you can then sell the extra parts and recoup some of your initial cost.

Well I think you can get the feel for what direction to go in this thread.
1. What action do you think would work well for a build?
2. Why
3. No crying about taking a gun apart or "your gun" is fine the way it is. Lol
4. If you want, what would the end product be? Barrel, stock trigger, scope etc

Here are a few rifles I built using the Remington 58x series rifles. I have built others for friends and they all shot as well as the original rifles or better but mainly they were just more for what I wanted and the purpose I wanted. If some people want to argue spending money on a cheap action, the camo stocked rifle is a barreled action that was given to me in parts, I reworked the trigger, reset the headspace, dropped it in an old Anschutz stock that I reinletted and pillered and bedded and have a $65 scope on. It may very well be my favorite squirrel rifle, that is with some pretty steep competition including a Cooper, Weatherby, Anschutz and more. I have about $145 in the entire setup because I did it myself. If I had to hire it done and pay new price for everything what would it cost, barreled action $250, stock $300, all that labor from a smith $500? I really don't know if I would even sell it for that, is it worth it I don't know but when you build a custom how often can you recoupe your money? When you build it yourself it doesn't hurt so bad.

Should be interesting, what's your thoughts.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
grg,

Great post! I really like the looks of the camo gun in your pic. All of them look well done.
I wish i had seen your post about the 581s before i sold a nearly new one with box for $300 earlier this year - and i made money on it at that price! Picked it up at auction and flipped it.

I have been contemplating a ruger american target rifle to buy and build up. They intrigue me because they are easy to work on and no one is going to cry if i modify or even ruin one of those.

I would definitely work on the trigger, play with action screw tension, run a bunch of different ammo through to see what it likes and add a DIP compensator just for fun. I think it could be a nice squirrel rig. I would have to go from there based on what it would do from the bench.

I your post starts an active discussion!

#3 ·
Thanks for the great responses, if you like to work on your own guns this is going to be a great thread.

When it comes to slip fit vs threaded barrels I don't think you can argue the ease of working with the slip fit. I have to thank DJ for helping me with the knowledge and desire to get going on these, but also looking at others builds such as Hushkaboom, dbr and many others even factory rifles that I know I can't necessarily afford and want to duplicate in a manor. As far as it goes to making other barrels work, a small shank can have a sleeve built to build it up and if it is oversize it is easy to turn it down and fit to perfection, I have done both.

If we can keep the negative comments out of here, people taking offense to the thought that "their" rifle needs to be improved when they know it doesnt we will get some great information here.

#4 · (Edited)
I like the 581 actions and plan a custom build on one I have waiting. Also I have thought of using a BRNO model 1 action. CZ 452 would also be a top contender. Not sure what other actions would work and not cost to many $$$ for a do it yourself project. Another project I want to try is redoing a Winchester 9422 with an octagon to round barrel with rust blued metal and possibly a pistol grip. High grade wood, etc. Maybe redo a Winchester 1885 low wall in similar fashion?
I think having a good trigger either factory or aftermarket is important. That is an advantage for the 581.
I plan to try some scary stuff like checkering and maybe barrel turning and chambering!

#5 ·
My first choice, if money was no object I would choose the Anschutz 54, then the Anschutz 64, Remington 40X then Winchester 52. The only time I might choose a Remington 541/580 style action, would be if it had 2 action screws and even at that, I would be hesitant. Just not smooth enough for me, and little can be done for the triggers, where Anschutz triggers are the best and you can get Jewel trigger for them. You have to be able to get triggers for them or the action means nothing. The barrel is the main part, next to that would be the locktime of that action and the trigger.

#6 · (Edited)
Gizzy, just for clarification are you looking at a Sporter build or target/bench type build? I guess I better also reword, for me this is not a if money was not of any importance thread.I really love for this to be a real world build scenario. I'm sure some people won't hesitate to dismantle a nice 40X but I can't spend $1100 on one and then pull it apart for the action. If that is the level that you are at then let's hear what the build would be because I'm sure there are others that could also do it.. Now If I found a butchered 1922 or A model 52 that was butchered I wouldn't hesitate to pull it apart if the purchase price was appropriate for the condition.

For me a 581 trigger can easily be reworked to the level of an extremely nice sprorter trigger or a 788 trigger can be used. Also one of the reasons I gravitated to the 581 was because of the extremely fast lock time, am I wrong about that? We all work at different levels.

#7 ·
Right now I will keep scrounging for 581 actions as I love using them for builds, I think they are a great platform. As some of these new rifles, CZ 457, Tikka T1x, Lithgow etc, become more available on the used market there will be deals available to the sharp eye and they will be used for builds. If they prove to be exceptional platforms they will be bought new and pulled apart as DJ and others have shown us these can be even better rifles .
??
Better rifles than what?
There are a few rifles that I'm aware of that come with an accuracy guarantee.
Kidd, Cooper, and the no longer manufactured Kimber.
Of the three mentioned, Cooper has the smallest measurement, accuracy guarantee, of 1/4 inch at 50 yards. In second place was Kimber with a .40.

40x, 54, might as well throw the 57M in there

I do not know who DJ is, or what rifles he sells. What is his accuracy guarantee?

T.S. - Curious

#8 ·
TS, there are a number of custom builders that guarantee there builds with certain criteria. DJ represented his full out builds as being able to shoot at .2" with R50 or comparable ammo and I believe many people who bought his rifles would agree they could do that. I really am not trying to get into a accuracy guarantee thing. Some people opt to build or have a rifle built purely for asthetics, for me I like both asthetics and I still want to at least try to improve accuracy.

Better than what they were
What I meant was some of these guys can take a good rifle and make it better. A CZ may be a very good shooter but if you want to make it better you may opt to change barrels, do some stock work, modify or change out the trigger and the list goes on. It may be something to actually change how the rifle shoots or how you can shoot the rifle.

I hope that clarified what I meant.

#10 ·
The reason I am picky on actions that someone makes trigger for,l is my squirrel rifles have 16 oz. triggers on them. I have been used to light triggers since I was young, so anything heavier than 20oz. is too much for me. I know other actions can be reworked, but some just do not have available aftermarket triggers available, which I would need for me just for a sporter. I have KIDD trigger ready to go on my next 10/22 sporter build that is set at 1-1/2 lbs. Right in my wheelhouse... 16-20 oz.

#12 ·
No1 choice, well I think those new Tikka T1x's are like the poormans 22lr stiller or Voodo and you are getting a really ridgid action for not a lot of $$ and it would be good for 22PRS-Varmint Hunting-or IBR 50 Benchrest.
No2 Yes an Anschutz 54 action for all of the above
No3 CZ452 or earlier for all of the above.
No4 A Turbo action for BR50 or IBR matches ONLY

#15 · (Edited)
I would like to nominate the Kimber 82-G action. I purchased 2 of these rifles from CMP. One of these was the "rusty" one to shoot and/or modify. Without going thru the previous incarnations, this is what I have wound up with:

It is mostly Kimber, 82-G action, SSV stock, and I grafted an Anschutz 1712 takeoff barrel by threading the receiver end and keeping the Anschutz chamber.
I posted about it HERE
Haven't had it outside yet but shoots very well indoors at 25 yards. I have a small trigger issue to work out. Needs a good adjustment, sometimes the firing pin follows the bolt on closing. Member PWNolan suggested it might need more sear engagement.
With a smaller scope it could qualify as a squirrel gun.
Chris

#16 ·
Chris, very nice looking rifle. I guess the biggest issues with the 82G would be that they aren't readily available at a "tear down" price. Around me it seems like they are more in that $6-800 price range. The other issues I would have with my build criteria would be that its a single shot and threaded receiver. If im wrong on those two points correct me as I have not owned an 82G. Im not at all saying it isnt a great action and yours definately turned out very nice.

#17 ·
Yes, grg, you are correct on all points. I would not go looking for an 82G action because they are scarce. I just kinda "evolved" into this build.

One that hasn't been mentioned is the Remington 5XX. 510's can be had at pawn shops, Boyd's makes several stocks, 513 barrels can be used for upgrade. I have built a couple. One included a 521 stock with a cut-down 513 steel buttplate, 510 action, 513 bolt, 513T barrel shortened to 22" and re-crowned like factory. Admittedly, these are a bit "primitive" by today's standards but can still shoot well.
Chris

#19 ·
To the Remmy crowd. Thank you for your comments, I fully agree that the 581s are very accurate rifles. the 581 has two problems, at least mine has (1) the bolt stop is a weak link and the spring loaded stop fails and as one retracts the bolt you end up with the entire bolt in hand. (2) Remington over the years that that rifle was in production made changes on how the bolt handle is attached to the bolt. some were screwed on(better ones) towards end of production they went to induction bronze welds. I have a 581 with a sheared off bolt handle. still trying to get it fixed . there is very little purchase, little steel where handle enters bolt body. only remedy for this example would be a tig weld.
Thought you'd like to know.

SS

#20 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I'd either use the Mauser DSM 34/Mm410b action (the "B" series), or the Kimber K22 action (which was based on the Mauser). I'd choose it because it has controlled-round feed and has a timeless quality.

For a look at my ideal .22 sporting rifle, have a look at this Dorleac and Dorleac rifle:

https://www.dorleac-dorleac.com/pro...ting-rifle-on-original-mauser-action/?lang=en

I've posted it elsewhere, but...

Spikey.

EDIT: My apologies - I forgot about the"production" part. Sadly, both the Mauser and the Kimber are no longer made.

#21 ·
That D&D is a beautiful action. I have a feeling that the price would take it out of the repeatability build criteria for a lot of people. I missed what the cost is, could you say what it was please? As I said in my opening post I would love to know if there is a inexpensive, quality built repeater action in the custom market.

#23 ·
Well im back on this. I will be going down to Tulsa this November so will be looking for a donor action. I have ideas in my head of the scope bases, rings, barrel and stock that I want to build. I have to get this narrowed down to the action I want.

#25 ·
I've wondered lately about using the Remington 504. I have never held one, let alone shot one. But what I've read is that the action is borderline massive, it has a good trigger that is adjustable, and owners seem to really appreciate the stock. This only leaves upgrading the barrel, which is said to be this model's weakness in the first place. Any thoughts ?

#27 ·
I really like the Win 52's for building up a cheap custom rifle, but the days of finding beaters for cheap money are sadly over unless you are extremely lucky, IMO. But there is an alternative. The H&R Model 12's were I believe, a copy of the 52's and are close to on par for accuracy and trigger. And you can still find them for a somewhat reasonable price at times....
Seems like turning down the barrel to sporter dimensions wouldn't be too difficult and fitting a new stock to one would be a fairly straightforward proposition to end up with a very accurate and handsome sporter on par with a 52....

I also like the early Remington 5teen rifles as donors. There are tons and tons of them available at gun shows, pawn shows, LGS shelves, etc.. for cheap money. There is a guy at one of the gun shows I go to who has started customizing these just to fill his retirement hobby time and he cuts the original barrels to octagon barrels and they are really cool looking when he gets done. A replacement stock with some nice wood and you have a pretty nice little sporter that will shoot about as well as you can. Only one shortcoming with these and I have never figured out how to overcome it yet- they have lousy triggers on most of them and they aren't very adjustable. I'm not aware of any aftermarket triggers that fit them either- if anyone knows of any, these are a huge class of available rifles that could be first class custom sporters... IMO

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.