Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

A Great Front Rest (SEB NEO)

10K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  kseatm 
#1 ·
For quite a while, I have been commenting on my benchrest setup, without having any really clear pictures of my front rest. Well, here, finally is a decent picture of my SEB NEO front rest:

This rest is awesome, while quite expensive. The expense and year wait were well worth it. Though the long joystick moves with practically no effort, it stays where I put it, when I take my hand off the knob to shoot. This is the fifth different rest I have tried, over the past decade. It is superior to everything else I have tried.

Recently I had it out shooting my BAT action 222 at 200 yards on a windy day, load testing. I found I could aim the rifle and then take my eyes off the scope to watch the wind flags, with complete trust the rifle would not move. In spite of the wind, I was able to shoot several consecutive 3-shot groups measuring 0.6" or less.

I have also shot my CZ 452 with its Don Stith BR stock and my Martini International MK II (recently sold) successfully with the rest. They both have narrower forearms than the BAT. The rest has a 3 piece bag that can be adjusted to fit any width stock, so I do not need multiple rests or multiple bags to be able to shoot any rifle from a bench.

Here it is with my Martini:

As I said, it is expensive and there is a long wait but it takes the place of three different rest tops or front bags I used to need for my different rifles.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Onearm,

I have the older SEB Rest. I can attest to the quality & workmanship Sebastion puts into his rests. A year wait is well worth what your getting. The cost is quickly forgotten when you use a best quality price of equipment.

Congrats! Now, you need a SEB BigFoot rear, loaf-type rear bag.

A shorter handle is good to have too. When I shoot certain guns, I use a shorter, (home made) handle

Shorter handle I made: an old drill chuck, a bolt and an pill bottle w/ epoxy

SEB BigFoot bag

#3 ·
Onearm,

Congrats! Now, you need a SEB BigFoot rear, loaf-type rear bag.

A shorter handle is good to have too. When I shoot certain guns, I use a shorter, (home made) handle

Shorter handle I made: an old drill chuck, a bolt and an pill bottle w/ epoxy
I have two loaf bags from Russ Haydon. One in leather and one in Cordura. You can see them both in the following picture. My only gripe is they are not tall enough. One of my many coaches told me to get my face up off the bench. As you can see, the Cordura bag is sitting on a home made riser. Whenever I use either bag shooting with a front rest, I always use a riser. Some days I just do not feel like carrying the heavy bag to the bench. That is why sometimes you see the smaller Protektor bag in my pictures.

Here is a better picture of the Cordura bag:

In that picture, I am using a Shadetree top on a Cowan base as a front rest. The Shadetree rest is also a very good rest that costs less than 1/2 of the SEB. I decided in for a penny, in for a pound, so I sold the Shadetree rest and a Zeiss scope to buy the SEB NEO.

http://www.shadetreeea.com/products.htm

#5 ·
Onearm,

Congrats! I picked up an older model SEB here on RFC awhile back. Am not new to the the higher end rests, but that thing blew me away. But, a buddy needed a rest, and the coverage area of the SEB's isn't the greatest for certain targets, so I sold it to him.

Went back to the the Randolph rests and I like them fine. But...always kept thinking about those SEB's...

So, ordered one of the new models (like yours). It didn't take nearly as long as expected. When it arrived, I was simply amazed. I love it.

Still, I like the Randolph for certain things I do (shooting aperture sights on the 23/5 or A25). Not enough travel in the SEB for that type of target. But the newer model is much easier to adjust for horizontal so its not such a big deal anymore.

These rests are very well made. Once you get comfortable with them, and get the counter balance right, they just seem to glide in your hand. Just be careful that if you get on a roll that you don't touch that trigger too soon! I messed up an awesome target once because I touched the trigger before getting on my hold off. All on me, but the rests work so well that its easy to get excited when you start hitting x after x.

Again, congrats on the rest. Its something to be proud of. And good luck with your shooting.

Kenny

#6 ·
Onearm,

Congrats! I picked up an older model SEB here on RFC awhile back. Am not new to the the higher end rests, but that thing blew me away. But, a buddy needed a rest, and the coverage area of the SEB's isn't the greatest for certain targets, so I sold it to him.

Went back to the the Randolph rests and I like them fine. But...always kept thinking about those SEB's...

So, ordered one of the new models (like yours). It didn't take nearly as long as expected. When it arrived, I was simply amazed. I love it.

Still, I like the Randolph for certain things I do (shooting aperture sights on the 23/5 or A25). Not enough travel in the SEB for that type of target. But the newer model is much easier to adjust for horizontal so its not such a big deal anymore.

These rests are very well made. Once you get comfortable with them, and get the counter balance right, they just seem to glide in your hand. Just be careful that if you get on a roll that you don't touch that trigger too soon! I messed up an awesome target once because I touched the trigger before getting on my hold off. All on me, but the rests work so well that its easy to get excited when you start hitting x after x.

Again, congrats on the rest. Its something to be proud of. And good luck with your shooting.

Kenny
On the counterbanance of a older SEB: there is a stub (for handle attachment ) on both the front & rear side. A counterbanance hanging off the unused side is the ticket.

I bought a big (Chinese-made) drill chuck from Harbor Freight. It just clamps on w/ the supplied key, and looks really clean. Since the chuck has a threaded hole in the end, more weight found be added with washers.

#9 · (Edited)
Ya, my SEB came with the (optional) tension screw kit already installed by old importer (he passed on) it also came w/ a metric wrench to tighten or loosen tension.

The trick is to have just enough tension to not have it bind, but not be too loose either. The counterbalance allows the tension adjustment to be very smooth, yet the head stays exactly where it's put.

#11 ·
Tension Screws

The SEB NEO has two hand operated (no tools needed) knobs to adjust tension. I have not touched them since I put the rest together. There is no binding. It balances well with rifles between 10 lbs. and 15 lbs. with no adjustment or counterbalancing needed.

The friction knobs I mentioned in a previous reply are the gross elevation adjustment locking screws. See the huge knobs on the sides. Either of those will raise and lower the whole top. In my picture of my Martini sitting on the SEB, you can see two large knobs facing the shooter. Those are the gross elevation locking knobs.

I have no experience with other models of SEB rests but the NEO has plenty of elevation and windage adjustment to cover any target I have used, including 23/5 and RBA 250/25X targets, even at 50 yards.

#10 · (Edited)
SEB and Shadetree Rests

The sole importer for SEB rests is Ernie Bishop. I bought mine through Ernie:

Ernie Bishop of Gillette, Wyoming, phone: 307-257-7431, email: ernieemily@] yahoo.com.

Butch Lambert also makes an excellent rest at Shadetree Engineering and Accuracy. You can buy a top and a base, or you can just buy the top ($375) and mount it on a base you already own. I mounted my Shadetree rest top to several different bases with no issues:

http://shadetreeea.com/Default.htm

Here is my Shadetree top on a Hart Base:

Before you ask; I sold the Shadetree rest and bought the SEB because I could. There was nothing wrong with the Shadetree rest, I just could not resist buying a shiny new toy.:D...also, I could not reach a daisy wheel on the Hart top, due to my disability. With the NEO, it is much easier for me to reach all controls.

#12 ·
Nice

Can you tell me what the height is at it's lowest setting? One of the ranges I shoot at is down hill and I shoot a rather low profile stock. I already have two Edgewood spacers glued to the bottom of a tall Minigator and that's just enough with my current set up.

Dennis

#18 · (Edited)
Don,

Nice looking guns! I know the one, but what's the last picture? Oops, never mind...I remember now...

Been out of bounds for awhile but hopefully we can meet up sometime this summer at Richmond or Ridge. Just busy, and all the matches fall on work weekends. I think Bruce just wants to have a more normal match, so he schedules them around my work schedule:D

Haven't shot the "gun" for awhile. But will sometime in the next month or two. Need to actually shoot the thing some more. But as you know, its far far improved from where it started. Thanks for everything...

Kenny, DBlue,

Yes, the SEB is a great rest!

The slick counterbalance Kenny made puts my drill chuck to shame! :eek:

Ya, I had the original importer install & adjust the tension adjusters. I have never had to change them. I just put on the counterbalance chuck.

When I ordered mine, the importer said Sabastion usually sent a few extra bases over to the guy who does powder coating. If the guy had some left over coating of another color, he would do the bases (usually copper or green). The importer said no promises, but I ordered the copper color. One came through, and I got it for $5.00 extra! :)

I mde the short handle because I often shoot short stocked sporters. All I had to buy was the 3/8-24, 6" bolt & nut. I had the old, small chuck.
My contraption isn't anything fancy. Don is the one who is the genius. His new counterbalance (shown in his pics) is something else. Of course, he's one of the best machinists I've even known. So, anything he makes is the best. Neat thing is, he's a great guy too! And he even laughs at my jokes...

As I have mentioned (I don't mean to complain, it is just a fact) I am disabled in such a way that I have only one functioning hand. That is my left hand. This is obviously also my trigger hand, front rest adjusting hand and scope adjusting hand. To say the least, my left hand is pretty busy.

One fact I discovered early in my shooting is that I need to reach out with my trigger hand to operate any scope or rest controls. When doing this, the butt stock gets in the way and greatly shortens my reach. This makes operating the daisy wheel or the windage knob on most front rests, while looking through a scope, impossible. It also makes AO adjustments, while looking through a scope that has the AO adjustment ring on the end of the scope, impossible. Try it with your trigger hand sometime and you will see what I mean.

I eventually found solutions to both issues. I solved the scope issue with side focus scopes. The daisy wheel issue was partially solved with the Shadetree rest's joystick. A speed screw on the rear leg of a Shadetree rest finally solved it completely. My only objection to the Shadetree rest was that it was difficult for me to get it set operate as smoothly as I wanted.

I may have mislead you with my previous statements. I reread what I wrote and see my error. The joystick on the SEB alone cannot cover elevation on an entire 50 yard target. Because I cannot find a speed screw that fits the SEB, I do need to adjust gross elevation with the large knobs on the sides of the SEB, when shooting 50 yards. The good news is the gross adjustment on the SEB is easy to reach, smoother than any daisy wheel and very fast. I easily taught myself to make the needed gross adjustment by feel while not looking through the scope. A few small drops of my wife's nail polish give me repeatable settings. Then, like everything else in shooting, practice makes pretty good if not perfect.

The stability, along with smooth and quick adjustments of the SEB NEO are a pleasure that needs to be experienced to appreciate. I can only imagine what it must be like to operate such precision tool as it was actually designed to be used. That is, while your eye is looking through the scope, the butt is against your shoulder and your trigger finger is resting above the trigger guard.
No issues here. Figured that is what you meant about coverage of a target. The newer NEO is much easier for course adjustments IMO. Nothing wrong with the older model, but the new model is just faster to move when you run out of room on a target.

Enjoy your rest. I agree these things are the "cat's meow".

Kenny

#16 ·
Kenny, DBlue,

Yes, the SEB is a great rest!

The slick counterbalance Kenny made puts my drill chuck to shame! :eek:

Ya, I had the original importer install & adjust the tension adjusters. I have never had to change them. I just put on the counterbalance chuck.

When I ordered mine, the importer said Sabastion usually sent a few extra bases over to the guy who does powder coating. If the guy had some left over coating of another color, he would do the bases (usually copper or green). The importer said no promises, but I ordered the copper color. One came through, and I got it for $5.00 extra! :)

I mde the short handle because I often shoot short stocked sporters. All I had to buy was the 3/8-24, 6" bolt & nut. I had the old, small chuck.

#19 ·
Hey Kenny...Good to see you posting again, just give me a holler when you want to shoot some.

Yeah, that blue gun is my Cooper TRP...I got a Shilen ratchet barrel and chambered and fitted it...I also did some major body work to the stock to get it parallel to the barrel and action. I had my brother paint and clear coat it. After getting the correct weight on the tuner and some tuning, it is shooting very well now. It really surprised me up at the shoot at Stonewall last weekend, there was a fair amount of wind there and I ended up winning the last round with a 250 17X with it. I built it to use in the 10 1/2 lb. as I can't get my Suhl to make 10 1/2.

Give me a call anytime you want.....:)

Don

#21 ·
Wow, fancy, how much?
The newer NEO model is about $1200 shipped I think. You'll have to check with Mr Bishop since he's the contact for these things. I know you can add options that will increase the price. But the base price is in that range give or take a few dollars.

The wait period is what discourages some I think. But it wasn't too bad. If you were looking for one, I'd place the order and then keep looking. You're not held to your order as if you change your mind by the time it comes in, it will go to the next person on the waiting list. And there's always a waiting list.

Hard to find one used for sale. And if so, the prices asked are usually pretty much what a new one costs. Sort of like Toyotas!

Nice rests, very nice. If you like joystick rests, these are a little nicer than the Farley IMHO. But the Farley is a nice rest too.

Kenny

#22 ·
Onearm... I feel I have to sort of apologize a little. When I questioned you about coverage on targets, I was primarily talking about coverage of aperture type targets (A23 or A25).

I know an A23 requires changing the height of the NEO to cover the entire length. But that target is at 50 yards and hung vertically. Same with the A25 at 100. These have to be hung vertically to be legal I think. But, for informal "fun" shooting, I guess you could hang them horizontally.

I don't know about the A23 at 50 hung that way. I never do. But I do know you can (barely) cover the A25 target at 100 if hung sideways. Found that out yesterday. My backer doesn't have enough room to hang that target vertically, so I hang two sideways. And while shooting, I didn't have to move anything to cover the target width wise. But I did set the rough adjustments to just barely let me use the sighter bull.

Here's a pick of the setup

I will also say using this rest with apertures changed the way I normally shoot. In the past, using either a Caldwell, Cowan or Randolph I always got onto the target using the adjustment knobs, then fine tuned my sight picture by squeezing the rear bag slightly. Just to fine tune things before firing. With this rest, I didn't have to do that all al. No fine tuning...just move the joystick to the sight picture I wanted, and release the shot.

What a joy to shoot off one of these things!

Anyway, wanted to let you know that I was kind of wrong about the coverage thing. Just didn't take into account that some people might shoot just for fun and it wouldn't matter how they hang their targets.

Kenny

#23 ·
100 and 200 Yards

Kenny,

You may have not read my last reply. I admitted the NEO does not have enough elevation for most targets at 50 yards. I, however now do most of my shooting at 100 and 200 yards with my two centerfire 222s and my 204. It lets me make groups that look like this at 100 Yards with, as you say, no fine tuning.

Just point and shoot:

#24 ·
Kenny,

You may have not read my last reply. I admitted the NEO does not have enough elevation for most targets at 50 yards. I, however now do most of my shooting at 100 and 200 yards with my two centerfire 222s and my 204. It lets me make groups that look like this at 100 Yards with, as you say, no fine tuning.

Just point and shoot:

Show off:p Just kidding! Simply awesome shooting!

Saw your reply, just didn't want you to think I was being a butt head about things. And after rereading my posts, I thought it might be misread as if I was being "one of those" people. There's enough of those out there as it is...

Anyway, you're right about the fine tuning. The Randolph rests are awesome rests. I've owned a couple. And have used them in competition. But, to be safe, I always went past the POA and then went back to avoid any possible variation. With the SEB, if you get the tension set correctly for the gun's weight, there is "nothing" you need to do. I leave my hand on the knob, but could easily take it off without any movement.

Just a joy to shoot off of.

Since you showed yours, I'll show mine! Yesterday at 100 yards:

This was posted in another thread yesterday about a range visit. Thought I'd show off a little:)

Not too bad for apertures with a 22 at 100. With a gun that's 55 years old.

Enjoy your rest. They're great.

Kenny

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.