Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-13-2021, 12:25 PM
echo26

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mask break in?

Does the Mask get progressively better with break in?Just got my Mask yesterday. Running cci standards through a Ruger RAR .22 and I am very unimpressed. I don’t say that lightly. I’ve seen video after video on this can with bolt guns running cci standards and this is nothing like that. I also have a Ruger Silent sr that sounds way better than the Mask so far. This should not be. I only have around 15 or so rounds so far. I would have shot way more but honestly don’t want to shoot it anymore on my property. I can legally and safely shoot but would like to keep nosey neighbors to a minimal. It sounds like a .22 short kinda as is right now. I hope it gets better. I was totally surprised that wasn’t that quiet. Definitely not like all the videos.
Old 02-13-2021, 12:41 PM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Welcome to RFC Echo...or at least glad you finally posted after 3 years

No, I don't think there's any break in change in cans. Depending on temperature and altitude your CCI Standards could be breaking the sound barrier producing a down range "crack."

I have a Sparrow not a Mask but I would expect with slower than speed of sound ammunition out of a bolt action rifle you should only hear the pin dropping and the "thwack" of target impact. It should be Hollywood quiet.

My Sparrow does work a little better with a coating of ATF inside it although I still get slight first round pop.

Frank

Last edited by LtCrunch; 02-13-2021 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-13-2021, 12:53 PM
echo26

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It’s 55 here in Florida. Not sonic cracking but just too loud. I had thought maybe the standard are running a little hot but I don’t know. The Ruger sr I have is quieter so far with same set up. Something is not adding up. Hope it gets better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2021, 01:01 PM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
The CCI Standards are rated at 1070 FPS, only 42 FPS slower than speed of sound at 55 F (1112 FPS.) Actual velocity vs. rated velocity on mid grade ammo is notoriously variable.

https://www.weather.gov/epz/wxcalc_speedofsound

I'd try some slower ammo.

Frank
Old 02-13-2021, 04:30 PM
bmwmc
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CCI SV isn't the quietest. Geco is my favorite for quiet. I don't have a Mask, so I don't know why you don't like it. I have 3 rimfire cans, and no, getting one dirty doesn't make it much quieter. I've also never experienced the firing pin fall only, Hollywood quiet that others speak of.
Old 02-13-2021, 05:14 PM
echo26

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ok just got back from the woods. Was able to to put close to 100 rounds so far. A box of cci standards and a half box of rem subs. Rem subs were quieter but again not as quiet as my Ruger can and dang side not you tube video quiet. As a matter a fact on this very forum a fellow just posted his voodoo with a mask and it sounds like most other mask videos..nice and quiet. Can even here metallic ting of firing pin through the video. I know the right ammo can make it quieter no doubt and I do have quieter ammo..that being Ely subs and Aguila subs… But again this can by all rights should be quieter than my Ruger can… Capital armory for one doesn’t takemuch of the Ruger can said it was nowhere in the same league as the mask and oculus as a matter fact I think they said. Swampfox on Arfcom also has posted the Ruger was nowhere good as his mask or specter… Guess I was wanting to blow my socks off ..People are adamant about the mask being the top of the heap. Oh well you live and you learn… I wish I had somebody close to me that had a mask that I could compare. Maybe it is what it is.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:36 PM
bmwmc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Videos give a very poor representation of suppressor performance.
Old 02-13-2021, 11:19 PM
NIB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This question may be baseless but did you verify correct assembly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e-2CDStbAce

If assembled correctly could there be some defect?
Old 02-14-2021, 04:51 AM
98_1LE

TPC Rating: 
100% (17)
They might get the tiniest amount more quiet with some crud buildup but I doubt the human ear can detect it.

Most modern cans test within a narrow dB range. What varies is the tone. While it might sound worse to you, I doubt your neighbors will hear much difference.

Best wishes.
Old 02-14-2021, 06:56 AM
echo26

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I appreciate the responses. I put the mask on my Cz 512 carbine last night loaded with Aquila subs.Now it’s quiet with that combo.No complaints for that.Just that I have a lot of cci standards that historically is a good performer suppressed. When ammo was available that’s mostly all I bought. It was cheap,plentiful and decently accurate. Judging by different post by suppressor owners it’s a go to because of the performance. I liked the cci standard stuff ve got for plinking with the rifles at the house and leave all the good sub hps that I have for hunting.it’s all good though. Its a first world problem 😊

Last edited by echo26; 02-14-2021 at 07:01 AM.
Old 02-14-2021, 08:43 AM
bmwmc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What ammo are you calling Aguila subs? Aguila SV is supersonic in my bolt action rifle. It's rated at a higher velocity than CCI SV, which itself isn't much below supersonic.
Old 02-14-2021, 01:44 PM
FredJ_2008
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Why should we buy something that you have to pay the Government to buy and use?
Old 02-14-2021, 01:57 PM
iron85

TPC Rating: 
100% (46)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredJ_2008 View Post
Why should we buy something that you have to pay the Government to buy and use?
Because they are very nice to have, and if you decide to have one without paying the government that can lead to them arranging less than ideal living arrangements for you

I agree it’s silly that you need a stamp for one but it is what it is. Deal with the bad to enjoy the good

And for the OP, I have shot quite a few cci stds through my sparrow and they seem to be more loud than any eley, lapua, or sk ammos. I’d waste a few of the good subs to see how those perform for you.

Iron

Last edited by iron85; 02-14-2021 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-14-2021, 10:07 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a sparrow and a mask. With both silencers, I noticed a dramatic improvement after a few dozen rounds to dirty up the internals. I shot the sparrow in a barn and the first couple magazines I swore I had a defective silencer. It really does get a lot better when it gets some lead buildup. I shoot CCI standard velocity almost exclusively
Old 02-14-2021, 10:38 PM
echo26

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I put the mask on my charger this evening and this is the ticket. With the cci standard it sounds oh so nice. Weird that it sounds better than the bolt action even with the action noise being what it is. Could very well be because the lower velocity in the 10” barrel. Or maybe it could be that it’s getting dirtier I don’t know. But this combo is fine and an ultimate plinker. Do I wish my bolt action was quieter with the cci standards…Yes of course. After all it the mask was referred to as a “bolt action rockstar” some years back by that twangnbang fella on you tube. But again first world problems. Maybe I just got a hot lot of ammo.