Walther P2 Found A Home - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-04-2021, 12:23 PM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Walther P2 Found A Home

I just wasn't looking for a new gun but this Walther caught my eye and my wallet.

I haven't shot it yet but most reviews rate it pretty high. It appears that it like high velocity ammo and I have enough to keep it happy. I plan to break it in with CCI-Mini Mags and then shoot either CCI Velocitors or Federal Punch out of it. I have some Stinger to throw in as well.

I like the long Double Action trigger pull but the single is great. Mine breaks at 10.3 ounces and 3.6 respectively using my Lyman Digital Scale.

The safety doesn't act as a decocking lever. I prefer to carry in condition One with a round in the chamber and the safety on while the hammer is back. Years of carrying a 1911 are hard to argue with but I'm sure someone will.

It's just small enough to fit in my pocket but I think I'll make an IWB holster for it as well.
Old 06-04-2021, 04:07 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah the QD with the decocking lever in the breech block didn't last long. I have one and have pictures of the internals.....I can't say that I liked it. It doesn't allow you to cock the hammer with the safety set to safe. CB would be a 2021 one so it is brand new. CW.....I'm drawing a blank on that lettering. DE = Germany. Keep us posted on how it functions. Short barrel semi autos do like a bit of umph to cycle the slide.

I have never carried one for self protection but the safety drum does provide
two safety features. When rotated to safe the drum blocks the fall of the hammer and a cam on top of the drum engages a slot in the firing pin that keeps it from moving forward. There is also a firing pin block that won't let the firing pin move unless the trigger is pulled and the sear rotated.

One note of caution....in the past, some pistols have had the safety rotate to safe or fire. The reason is that the safety drum drags across the hammer as the slide moves. If the safety levers get too easy to rotate, this can cause the safety to unintentionally rotate. Not something you want with a cocked hammer. Keep and eye on it and make sure the safety retains the snap necessary to rotate it. Safe shooting. 1917
Old 06-04-2021, 04:37 PM
bugeye
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I love my P22. I shoot mini mags exclusively in it and it has never hiccuped in all the years I've carried it.
I carry it with a round chambered, safety off, and the hammer at half cock.
YMMV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2021, 08:46 AM
FlerpinDerHerpin

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzShooter View Post
I haven't shot it yet but most reviews rate it pretty high. It appears that it like high velocity ammo and I have enough to keep it happy.
My wife's doesn't have any ammo preference that we've encountered. We did have one box of Aguila lead nose that didn't reliably extract, but those cases were sticking in a Savage Mark II as well, so I guess the sizing step wasn't happening that day.

Last edited by FlerpinDerHerpin; 06-06-2021 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-06-2021, 02:19 PM
AzShooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Spent a little time and made a concealed carry holster for the P22. It holds it nice and secure. Next time I'll make an inside the waist holster for it.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:28 PM
AzShooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, I finally made it to the range with my new Walther P 22 and it's not ready to be used as a carry gun. I started out with 100 rounds of CCI-Mini Mags to break it in and had 7 jams with it. It was getting better as time went on. I marked my magazines so I can keep track to see if they are causing the problem. Doesn't look like it though.

I then tried CCI Velocitors. Boy could I tell the difference in recoil and report. The gun functioned flawlessly with this fodder so I'm getting close to wanting to trust it.

CCI-SV worked pretty well and I only had 2 jams.

I watched just about every video on You Tube and found a few that address the failure problems. Seems I need to polish the hammer, the slide is dragging on the top side of the hammer. I also want to polish the feed ramp. ( Go Slow And Check Often).

I'm not too concerned. I figure a gun needs about 500 rounds to break in.

I installed a new Green Fiber Optic front sight. It sure stands out.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:08 PM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
About everything P22 has been discussed on this forum. You will never get rid of the bottom of the breech block engaging and dragging on the hammer. The hammer rebounds appx. 0.020" after the safety drum and breech block have pressed it rearward during cycling. You can remove the recoil spring assembly, remount the slide and drag it back and forth over the cocked hammer to feel the drag.

When firing, blowback gasses have to blow the spent case out of the chamber with enough force to extract the case, move the slide all the way rearward. The feed rail on the bottom of the breech block is dragging over the nose of the next round in the mag, the recoil spring is being compressed and the hammer mass is being moved while the mainspring is being wound tighter. Quite a bit for the little round to overcome and still have enough speed for the spent case to bounce of the ejector and out of the pistol. Which is why high velocity ammo and a firm grip on the pistol are required.

The P22 has never really had an issue with the slide moving all the way rearward unless the ammo is too weak or the pistol is not being held firmly. When this happens the hammer can fail to be cocked, the spent can be caught during ejection or the spent case can simply be shoved back into the chamber. The cure....firm grip and more powerful ammo. CCI Mini Mags should be plenty powerful enough.

The problem that the pistol had with the slide hanging up and not completely chambering a round is generally due to a couple of things. One, a dirty chamber obviously.....a dirty chamber can cause chambering issues and extraction issues. But a common problem especially with the original pistols was the tip of the hammer catching and stopping the forward moving slide because the tip of the hammer was catching in the small gap between the safety drum and rear of the breech block. That is the hammer modification I was addressing back in 2004 or 5 with the hammer reprofile. In about 2007 Walther did change the profile of the hammer face but there is still a tip that catches in the spot between the safety drum/breech block. Note again that this is only of consequence with the forward movement of the slide. This catch along with the energy required to strip the next round from the mag can stop movement of the slide.

If I have a hammer causing this issue I remove a very small amount of material from the tip between the two faces on the hammer....a very small amt only. That allows the hammer face to span the little gap. Some of my pistols have benefited from this modification and some don't require it. That bump you feel when manually cycling the slide is the hammer tip catching in this spot.

The above shot show the small tip on the face of the hammer when it is in the cocked position. Note the small gap, yellow arrow, this is where the tip can hang up or slow down forward movement of the slide. The white line shows the maximum amount of material removal required to correct this. Do not remove more. If too much material is removed the slide will not press the hammer rearward enough for reliable cocking.

Way, way back there I did this modification to the safety drum and breech block. It worked great and nothing ever broke including the safety drum. This mod allowed the safety drum to still rotate the hammer 90% to rear with the final bit of rotation to fully cocke the hammer being completed by the breech block as shown. This did nothing to help the slide move rearward....the recoil spring still had to be compressed, the mainspring still be wound, etc. What it did do though was allow the now cocked hammer to no longer drag against the bottom of the slide/safety drum as the slide moved forward to chamber a round. The hammer rebounds 0.020" so I took that amount off the bottom of the parts to eliminate the hammer dragging. I left the steel full thickness over the retaining pin and that is when the hammer was finally pressed enough rearward for the sear to engage the primary hook. An e-mail from Arnsberg said they tried this and could not make it work. I'm not sure why not. I did this to five pistols and they all worked. This is really excessive modification in my opinion and not something anyone purchasing the pistol should have to do....but, I like experimenting. Walther could solve this hammer drag issue once and for all in my opinion. And add some sight options to the slide as well.

So exactly what type of jams are you experiencing AzShooter? I think most are caused by the magazine with exception of rounds that are too weak for proper function. 1917
Old 06-11-2021, 02:50 PM
AzShooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Failure to feed is the main issue, and this is with Mini Mags. I've had good luck with the Velocitors and will probably try to break the gun in with those. I'm also going to try Federal Punch which is even hotter.

I'll try a few hundred more rounds before I try the hammer modification. If I get the Mini Mags working I'll be satisfied, I have a lot of them and would prefer to use my SVs in my Black Mamba.

Thanks for your response. I've learned more and that always helps.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:21 PM
bugeye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
1917-1911M, Wow, after reading your post I was ready to throw my P-22 in the trash can.
But then I pulled it out and inspected the top of the hammer. After thousands of rounds over the last 17 years, the hammer shows no wear to speak of.
Then, I pulled the slide back as fast as I could and let it fly back and did this through two magazines. There was no noticeable damage to any bullet that I could see.
Maybe your magazines let the bullets stick up too high.

Anyway, it runs just like my 99 Tacoma, purrs like a kitten.
Old 06-14-2021, 08:36 AM
1917-1911M
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
bugeye, my comments did not mention wear to the top of the hammer even once. The long time issue has been that the hammer necessarily presses against the bottom of the safety drum and breech rail. With considerable drag. Due to the shape of the hammer face and the small gap between the safety drum and rear of the breech block...the hammer tip can catch there. This occurs at the same time the nose of the feed rail is expending energy shoving a round out of the magazine. The result can be that the slide simply stops mid point while chambering a round. A gently tap to the rear of the slide will usually cause the slide to close and fully chamber the round.

The original hammer was particularly prone to catching here.......which is why Walther reprofiled it in about 2007. I had a number of discussions regarding this and other P22 issues with the chief engineer in Arnsburg.

Above is a drawing I made in about 2005 illustrating the issue and how reprofiling the original hammer could eliminate the tip on the hammer from dropping into the small gap which could stop forward movement of the slide. The hammer is fully hardened according to the Chief Engineer of Walther small arms so reprofiling did not have any effect on weakening the hammer surface.

No, my magazines do not let the rounds sit too high. During the history of the P22 there have been only two magazine issues. The originals did not have any rim stagger slots and did not feed properly. They were soon dropped, replaced with magazines having a 1" stagger slot. In about 2006 or 07 the pistol came with some short slot mags....these did not function properly either. Walther sent me five prototype B mags to test for them. Thicker metal and a return to the long stagger slot. They worked perfect. That model has not changed as of this date.

Almost the entire history of this pistol is contained in threads at this Forum. 1917
Old 06-15-2021, 12:32 PM
bugeye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
1917-1911M, I understand. I expected to see the top of my hammer worn off.
My P22 is the old model, my wife's is the new model which with it's different spring will shoot standard velocity reliably.
I love P22's
Old 06-16-2021, 08:13 PM
AzShooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
After reading all the reviews I took my P 22 out today to give it a run around.

I am impressed with it. I used CCI-Velocitors, Stingers and Federal Punch and only had one failure to feed with the Velocitors, second shot from the first magazine. Everything went good from there.

The Stingers gave a giant fireball that scared the people in the next shooting booth. Punch had more recoil but wasn't as bright and Velocitors just plain worked.

If I carry as a backup I think I'll load it with Velocitors. I have more of them.

I did put a fiber optic front sight on and it's the perfect height.

Now, if I could only find extra magazines. I did pick up some 5 round basepads but I'm not going to install them for a few hundred rounds because I want to make sure everything works.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:43 AM
bugeye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzShooter View Post

Now, if I could only find extra magazines.
I found an extra magazine on ebay.
Old 06-17-2021, 09:54 AM
AzShooter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks I'll check them out.
Old 06-25-2021, 11:16 PM
Wcjkd

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anyone find a good OwB holster for the p22q yet ?