Israeli SR-22 Specs? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:48 PM
Spunk_Puppy
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Israeli SR-22 Specs?

Hello all!

I recently came across an article discussing use of the Ruger SR-22 rifle by the Israeli Defense Force (IDF). Apparently, the IDF has adopted the rifle for use alongside suppressed Ruger 10/22 rifles for the purpose of crowd control against violent aggressive demonstrators. Their doctrine used to classify these rifles as "less-lethal" or "non-lethal" but they are now considered to be "lethal" options and their use is only authorized when lethal force is justified.

However, they do considerably less damage and are less conspicuous than 5.56mm full-power options at their disposal such as the Tavor or M16 variants. These rimfire rifles are essentially used to bridge the gap between less-lethal crowd control measures such as baton rounds and rubber bullets and very damaging service rifle fire. They offer greater accuracy and improved range over most less-lethal options and can be highly effective at incapacitating key members of violent riots with less risk of fatalities and collateral damage over 5.56/7.62mm weapons.

Here is an article discussing the SR-22 rifle in this role and showing a picture of an Israeli soldier carrying an SR-22:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...l-sniper-role/

As you can see, the Israeli-adopted version is non-suppressed, features a magnified optic, and is fitted with a bipod. I am interested in building a clone of this weapon and am wondering if anyone out there knows the specs for this gun? The muzzle appears to have an aftermarket muzzle device and I'm wondering what it is (I know it's hard to tell from the picture). I am also wondering if anyone can identify the optic? I think it would be very cool to essentially create a true "military spec" rimfire rifle that is actually used in real conflicts.

If anyone has any additional details or info on the use of the Ruger SR-22 rifle in Israel, that would be greatly appreciated. Feedback or opinions on the base SR-22 are also very welcome, particularly on accuracy over a standard 10/22.

Thanks so much!
Old 09-15-2016, 08:10 PM
DroopyBassets75
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
Very interesting, I'll be following the build for sure. To me, the flash suppressor looks a lot like a surefire QD mount for their sound suppressors. As for the wood stocked models, they have different mag releases but clearly metal trigger groups. Aftermarket or Ruger products made for the order? The scope base looks different than the factory tip-off too.

I'd love to know if the Israeli armorers dremel out the barrel channel or if that's factory too. Seems to be mostly integral but not totally.

No idea on the scope but the Mag seems to be a BX25 to me. I've been wrong before though.
Old 09-15-2016, 09:34 PM
Spunk_Puppy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroopyBassets75 View Post
Very interesting, I'll be following the build for sure. To me, the flash suppressor looks a lot like a surefire QD mount for their sound suppressors. As for the wood stocked models, they have different mag releases but clearly metal trigger groups. Aftermarket or Ruger products made for the order? The scope base looks different than the factory tip-off too.

I'd love to know if the Israeli armorers dremel out the barrel channel or if that's factory too. Seems to be mostly integral but not totally.

No idea on the scope but the Mag seems to be a BX25 to me. I've been wrong before though.
That would make sense for it to be fitted with a quick-detach suppressor mount since the 10/22s they use are all suppressed. I wish I could find more information about this rifle in Israeli service!

EDIT: I came across someone saying the flash hider looks like the PWS FSC556:

http://www.nokick.com/PWS_FSC556_5_5...0ar-fsc556.htm

Looks pretty similar to me, but it's hard to really tell. I've been looking for some more/better pictures of the rifle being used by the IDF but with no luck.

EDIT #2:

I managed to find another picture of the SR-22 being used by an Israeli Border Police member (bottom of page, sorry I can't post pictures for some reason):

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums....php?p=5507538

It appears that this one has a standard Ruger flash suppressor, the bipod and optic look the same. I suppose the bipod is a Harris model but I'm still wondering about that optic. Also interesting that they appear to not be running suppressors on the SR-22s, at least not on all of them.

Last edited by Spunk_Puppy; 09-15-2016 at 11:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2016, 07:21 PM
DroopyBassets75
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (24)
Random thought, If they are using that much .22LR ammo, who is making it? With the huge influx of Mexican made CI ammo (always available in my area anyhow) at good prices comparable to cheapo Remington's, is the over priced US ammo making its way over there instead?

Wouldn't that be a strawberry irony milkshake.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:49 AM
Spunk_Puppy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DroopyBassets75 View Post
Random thought, If they are using that much .22LR ammo, who is making it? With the huge influx of Mexican made CI ammo (always available in my area anyhow) at good prices comparable to cheapo Remington's, is the over priced US ammo making its way over there instead?

Wouldn't that be a strawberry irony milkshake.
They're probably not using all that much really.

Are you having problems finding .22 ammo locally and are looking for a scapegoat?
Old 11-28-2016, 08:59 AM
mac66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
kind old news by now but it piqued my interest. Apparently the rifle is the SR22 tactical. I would guess a harris bipod, unknown scope. Some photos of them had the original Ruger flash hiders. It may just be the angle of the OP's photo that made the flash hider look different.

Last edited by mac66; 11-28-2016 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-13-2021, 05:32 PM
walesdave

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Holy thread resurrection!!!

Seen today.....
First thought 10/22 but guess it's an SR22
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_99X36H-e1620933779717.jpg (132.5 KB, 23 views)
Old 05-13-2021, 06:39 PM
9x19

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
Nope, not an SR (or Nordic) chassis.

That 10/22 is in a more conventional black stock (top of barrel exposed from receiver to muzzle), but no way to tell much else.