Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

1954 Mark 1 with 4 3/4 heavy tapered barrel?

4K views 31 replies 8 participants last post by  Shady Rest 
#1 · (Edited)
I have something unusual, a factory letter states Jan. 1954 ship date as a Mark 1 but has a heavy tapered barrel like a MK514 only shorter and heavier with an undercut front sight and Micro rear. Compared side by side with a standard RST4 they are within 1/32" of the same dimensions. My digital camera took a fall so photos are not available at the present time. Any ideas?

#4 ·
On my RST4 from the front of barrel to face of closed bolt it measures 4.810, on this particular Mark 1 it measures 4.840.
Well Sir: It would then appear that you have a 4-3/4 barrel length barrel, just as the RST4 pistols arrived with, and NOT the 5-1/4 Heavy Tapered target barrel that some might suggest. I'd hate to see you be misdirected. :D A sure identifier would be the fixed rear sight. None the less, a very nice pistol. :bthumb:

#7 ·
:)Sorry it took so long to reply, I was on the road at 5:00 AM and have no computer access at work. This pistol is indeed marked Mark 1 and the barrel dimensions I quoted are correct in length only, not diameter. When I purchased this pistol awhile back it was advertised as a Mark 1 with a 4 3/4 barrel. Since it had a Mark 1 stamp I assumed it was a T514. Was I surprised! I'm going to take some pictures with my phone and try to get them posted ASAP. so all of you will see that this is the real deal.

#9 ·
:)Sorry it took so long to reply, I was on the road at 5:00 AM and have no computer access at work. This pistol is indeed marked Mark 1 and the barrel dimensions I quoted are correct in length only, not diameter. When I purchased this pistol awhile back it was advertised as a Mark 1 with a 4 3/4 barrel. Since it had a Mark 1 stamp I assumed it was a T514. Was I surprised! I'm going to take some pictures with my phone and try to get them posted ASAP. so all of you will see that this is the real deal.
Very interesting. If the receiver is stamped as a Mark I Target, that's what it would need to be recorded as, in any record keeping "bound book" that the BATF-E requires legitimate gunsmiths and dealers to maintain.

#11 ·
It's very easy! Go to your images, click on the one you want to post. On the right there is a column that says Share Links. Click on the one that says IMG- it'll give a yellow flash that says copied.
Then come back here and when you want to add the image to your post, right click next to the cursor and select paste and it will add a link to your post. here's one of my Telecasters done this way...

Hope this works for you!

#18 ·
Just running through possibilities in my head:

1. Does not look like a T514 or T678 barrel has been shortened from the breech end.

2. I think a T678 could be shortened from the muzzle end, recontoured for taper, and the original front sight base reattached like a sleeve. Probably not enough meat left on a T514 barrel for that to be done. Would really like to see a closeup of the muzzle, which may tell a story.

3. A T512 barrel could be shortened and recontoured to add the integral front sight base, but that would be a lot of work.

It does look like the mystery pistol has been reblued.

I am, like I suspect many others are, very curious.

#17 ·
The pictures do indeed. The difference between 4-3/4 and 5-1/4 is only 1/2 inch, but those two as compared, look awfully close. I have a 5-1/4 Mark II and a RST4 that I'm gonna try to line up and see how close they come to one another. Your comparison is very interesting though.

#19 ·
Could be a MarkI 678 shortened to the sub 5" length. Mystery for sure. It could be a factory , unintended, variation because I have seen standards very some what in barrel length. The front sight alteration does make me curious about what was done to the gun though.
Is the front sight base profile machined into the barrel or is it a sleeve that is silver soldered on the barrel ? I do not know,just asking?

#21 ·
The pistol has indeed been reblued, front sight blade has been modified in shape somewhat, pin is missing, a 1/16 steel rod will not enter the hole so I think its a regular size hole cannot see any silver solder,but I see what all of you fellas agree on on the muzzle end.

Maybe we can solve part of this mystery.

#26 ·
Your pictures are getting distorted somehow.

If I were going to make one of these, and I had the talent and tools (I have neither), I'd
1. Cut the sight off of a T678 right at the rear of the sight base
2. Cut the barrel to, say, 4⅞"
3. Drill the front sight out along the axis of the bore to a diameter a bit under the muzzle diameter of the shortened barrel
4. Turn the muzzle end of the barrel down to fit into the front sight base
5. Mount the sight to the muzzle
6. Trim/crown the muzzle down to the overall desired length

#29 ·
Not a factory cut muzzle pattern because Ruger did not recess the muzzle like that from the factory. Very interesting piece you have there. I do believe it is a custom job and has been altered ? but from what. It could have been a 678 or 514 that had muzzle damaged and repaired by a talented gun smith.
Anyway you have a very unique gun. I still say send Ruger a letter with the serial number and see if they can tell you what was the configuration when the gun left the factory. Let us know.

#30 ·
I do have a factory letter dated April 1, 2015 that states "Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding your Ruger Mark I pistol, serial number 72xxx. Our records indicate this Mark I pistol was shipped in January 1954 as Model Mark I, caliber .22 Long Rifle." They did not specify barrel length. I suppose there may be other invoice records they did not provide so its a mystery. I purchased this pistol from a dealer in northern IA recently, where it came from I have no idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.