2019 Shawnee Squirrel Hunt - Page 9 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:14 AM
MissedEm
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

DDwaite and MissedEm, season is sneaking up fast maybe we can get together and do a little local hunting before Shawnee if things work out.[/QUOTE]

Sounds good.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:03 AM
ddwaite
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissedEm View Post
DDwaite and MissedEm, season is sneaking up fast maybe we can get together and do a little local hunting before Shawnee if things work out.
Sounds good.[/QUOTE]
Sounds good Doc. Aug 1 not that far away
Old 07-13-2019, 07:56 AM
MissedEm

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Anybody camping at Pine Hills tues or wed? Take your rain gear!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2019, 03:43 PM
JG26_Irish

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
17 mach2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfrank View Post
Shucks, I can answer that one... #1 cause it shoots like a laser would be one of the better answers. If you have a good solid rest it is minute of squirrel head out to at least 80 yards. Of course that is for me, but I have read that it is quite capable at ranges of say 125 yards on squirrel size targets.
#2 virtually ricochet proof, which is really a good thing IMHO!!!
#3 virtually no holdover to about 100 yards. Of course you will need to check that with your rifle and how high your scope is mounted can affect that some.
#4 virtually no crawl-offs, or chasing down a less than perfectly hit squirrel. I'm sure I missed some but I think you get the idea!!!
The only thing that I miss is the sound of the bullet hitting the squirrel. That 17 Mach2 is so fast that the bullet has already hit the squirrel before the sound of the shot has dissipated. I do miss the sound of a good solid hit of a 36 to 40 grain HP smacking a squirrel... then the "WHUMP" when the squirrel hits the ground!!!
God Bless, Frank.
I converted to the 17 Mach2 last year and have been impressed with it. The 17hmr is just as effective but tears them up more. I still enjoy the 22 a lot as well. I just found out about this shindig and would like to join in if possible. I am not too far away in KY and was looking at organizing a similar event in the Daniel Boone National Forrest sometime.

What Frank said about the Mach2 being good for head shots out to 80y is correct. I like to carry a shooting stick with me so that I can get good solid rest even when not in perfect position. It is really easy to kill them so far away that you will have to be careful to find em all. Last year's opening day, I sat in one spot and dropped four out of one tree in about 30 min.

Irish
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sav 17M2.jpg (294.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 07-16-2019, 07:30 PM
SARGE
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Hey Irish! It would be great to have you at the shawnee hunt! I hope you make it! Also I would certainly be interested in a hunt in the Dan'l Boone forest!
Old 07-16-2019, 07:36 PM
Mitch452

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I live and hunt in Daniel Boone. Great population of greys.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:15 AM
JG26_Irish

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
KY squirrel hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE View Post
Hey Irish! It would be great to have you at the shawnee hunt! I hope you make it! Also I would certainly be interested in a hunt in the Dan'l Boone forest!
I don't want to hijack this thread with a discussion on a DBNF squirrel hunt, but might start a new thread at some point for something in mid/late October? We went about four years with no squirrels due to late frost's wiping out most of the mast crop. But last year the nuts were plentiful and the squirrels were everywhere. Daniel Boone is mostly grey's but I will occasionally stumble onto a fox squirrel. They are not common is this local but can be found a bit further north. The National forest offers over 800,000 acres of hunter heaven and truly it is never hunted all that hard where I go. Plus there are all kinds of hard to find, hard to get to secret hickory stands that are even better.

With the camp grounds and local cabin rentals near the Cave Run Lake and it all being just off of I-64 it makes a great location for a friendly hunt or a tournament or whatever. Plus, KY is the home of Bourbon and the best BBQ joint in the state is only a mile away. Need I say more? I will check and see how late the campgrounds stay open and get back later.

As for Shawnee in Sept, anyplace where I can find lots of squacks to shoot at and I am a happy camper. I hope to recruit a couple of volunteers to come with me. I was reading up on the Illinois regs. If I read right, blaze orange in not required for squirrel hunting unless it is during another season which does require it or unless the hunter is also hunting other species which require it? Also, rimfire 17's and 22's are legal for squirrel? and finally, if you have a concealed carry permit, you can carry a handgun? Does that apply to non-residents? I always interpreted Illinois as being ultra-anti handgun. I am pretty sure that Illinois does not offer reciprocity to KY CCDW permit holders. Hopefully, it will cool off by then.

Irish
Old 07-17-2019, 07:18 AM
JG26_Irish

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch452 View Post
I live and hunt in Daniel Boone. Great population of greys.
How far from Cave Run are you Mitch? We will have to meet up and go hunt sometime.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:10 AM
SARGE
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Irish, your ccw is no good in IL. 17 and 22 ok for squirrel hunting, no blaze orange required.
An Oct hunt in KY sounds good to me.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:38 AM
squacks
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
While hunting, you may carry a handgun anywhere on your person. On private or federal land(Shawnee nat. for.) it can be any caliber. On state land(trail of tears forest) it has to be .22.

Although i don't advise it, on federal land you may use any caliber rifle or pistol of your choice to hunt squirrels. At times I use a .32 caplock rifle.

BE SURE to case any gun you bring. Holsters are not cases. Guns must be unloaded and cased when in a vehicle. Guns must be unloaded if you are walking on those gravel roads.

Shotguns(should anybody bring one) must be plugged to only hold 3 shells max.

Campground rules state that there is supposed to be no shooting in the campground.

Squirrel limit is still 5 per day and 10 in possession. If you want to shoot more than the possession limit, you will need to eat them or give them to somebody who wants them.

I believe that conservation fines went up to $190 for a ticket.

If you play any musical instrument and want to show off, bring that along...lol!
Old 07-17-2019, 01:32 PM
JG26_Irish

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE View Post
Irish, your ccw is no good in IL. 17 and 22 ok for squirrel hunting, no blaze orange required.
An Oct hunt in KY sounds good to me.

Squacks
While hunting, you may carry a handgun anywhere on your person. On private or federal land(Shawnee nat. for.) it can be any caliber. On state land(trail of tears forest) it has to be .22.

Although i don't advise it, on federal land you may use any caliber rifle or pistol of your choice to hunt squirrels. At times I use a .32 caplock rifle.

BE SURE to case any gun you bring. Holsters are not cases. Guns must be unloaded and cased when in a vehicle. Guns must be unloaded if you are walking on those gravel roads.

Shotguns(should anybody bring one) must be plugged to only hold 3 shells max.

Campground rules state that there is supposed to be no shooting in the campground.

Squirrel limit is still 5 per day and 10 in possession. If you want to shoot more than the possession limit, you will need to eat them or give them to somebody who wants them.

I believe that conservation fines went up to $190 for a ticket.

If you play any musical instrument and want to show off, bring that along...lol!
Will be hunting rimfire only. No Shotguns. No shooting in the campground is a good rule. Once saw a large buck run thru a campground near Hopkinsville, the deer jumped into a bush about lunch time. One of our buddies was in that bush relieving himself of a large load of bud light when about 10 not too bright camp hunters all decided to fire off one or more shots into said bush. The predictable result was the buck ran off unscathed and my buddy Bo was forced to do #2 as well as his intended #1. Fortunately only his pride was wounded, but it took three of us to keep him from taking out some of the knot-heads that did that.

I am fond of fried squirrel with Buffalo sauce. I could not carry a tune in a bucket. Can sing great after several shots of Tequila but for some reason, I am the only one who can hear the music. Best if avoided.

I found this rule to be especially interesting: "Guns must be unloaded if you are walking on those gravel roads." Seems a bit overly restrictive. But it that is the law, when in Rome...

Thank you for the info. I have never hunted in Ill. As for an Oct hunt in KY? We will continue to explore that idea. I will go do a little homework with the camp grounds this weekend and report back later on a new thread. Just as a teaser, here is a pic of my little CZ452 American taken last fall from a foggy ridge up in the DBNF. Started raining right after that.

Irish
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CZ452 Am.jpg (254.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 07-17-2019, 02:50 PM
reb henderson

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Hey Sarge, looks like we got another member for the shooting sticks club.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:09 PM
SARGE

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Sure nuff! Hey Irish, you need to get a bigger scope for that rifle!
Old 07-17-2019, 06:39 PM
MissedEm

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey Squacks, interesting info on difference between state forest laws and federal forest.

Irish - If you've got a favorite air rifle bring it along. Several of us (well a few, okay - me) enjoy the added challenge.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:57 PM
Mitch452

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Irish- I'm between Crashes landing and the hatchery. I'd be happy to meet and hunt with fellow RFC members.