Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

RPR aftermarket triggers?...........

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Straightshooter1 
#1 ·
Anyone have anything to say about the aftermarket triggers for the RPR? The only one I have seen is the Timney, but I assume there may be others; seems like they are kind of pricey too. I was going to remove mine last night and maybe tweak it a bit, but I decided after seeing all the parts of the puzzle that it might be a good idea to just bite the bullet and get a good aftermarket unit. I talked to the nice folks at Federsen the other day and they said they will be producing a barrel for the RPR very shortly..........

#2 · (Edited)
The RAR trigger is not complicated and is easy to work with. I just did some polishing, shimmed side to side, replaced the adjustment spring with a ball point pen spring. 1 1/2 pound crisp trigger is my result. Followed this same work on my other RAR versions with repeatable results. Unless the precision trigger is that much different, and it appears only the safety is, I'd try some simple home work before spending $100. KM

#3 ·
I agree with Mwagon. I did less work on mine that he did on his but it is a good 1 1/2 pound trigger. I use it for an offhand gun to shoot in the postal league here on rimfirecentral. That match is a lot of fun and sometimes I do well in it with this rifle.

#4 ·
I got my RPRR about 2 years after I had purchased my .308 PRP with the intent on using it as a trainer for the RPR. I had removed the trigger adjustment spring on the RPR trigger which gave me a pull at 12 - 14 oz and have fired over 5300 rounds + a lot of dry firing and it continues to perform well. So, when I got my RPRR I did exactly the same thing and had the very same results in getting at 12 oz of trigger pull and has performed flawlessly for over 2000 rounds now. Some people just don't like the trigger blade, but I don't find it something I pay much attention to other than it does help in managing the light pull. And of course the trigger blade is a good safeguard and keeps from having any slam fire issues.

I read somewhere that someone had a problem with this mod in that the trigger wasn't resetting. But I and many others that have done this mod haven't had this issue. I can only think that this case might likely be somewhat unique to his trigger as one can expect some variances with a mass produces factory trigger.

#5 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies. I bit the bullet and bought a Timney trigger with the straight blade. I didn't want to spend the money, but I honestly don't like the safety trigger. I am plannin g on shooting 50-yd. benchrest and maybe a few other matches, so maybe it was a good investment.............................

#7 ·
I'm confident you'll like the Timney in your gun.

Last year Timney sent me one, with a curved trigger, to beta test and I ran it for about 1000 rounds. In comparing it to how I had my factory trigger set up I concluded the Timney trigger was a "little" better in terms of the results I could find on paper. I had set the Timney trigger to the same pull at 12 oz , so other than the feel trigger blade on the factory trigger, I didn't notice much difference. But when the pull is set heavier on both triggers, the Timney definitely does feel smoother and has a nice crisp break.

#8 · (Edited)
"I read somewhere that someone had a problem with this mod in that the trigger wasn't resetting."

That post referenced a Youtube video, the person complaining had removed the safety blade and spring, then videoed the trigger spring removal and failure without mentioning the safety bar removal.
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1027602 comment #7 refers to this video which has been removed from Youtube. KM

#9 ·
Actually, I've seen that YouTube video some a long time ago and noted he had the problem with slam firing with the trigger blade removed (not having the trigger blade was not a good idea); don't remember if there was an issue over the trigger resetting there. My reference regarding the trigger not resetting was with someone else who removed the trigger adjustment spring but retained the trigger blade.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.