Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-05-2020, 07:06 PM
Cowboy66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Model 34 - Tube Feed Issue

I recently acquired a Model 34 from an auction. Despite needing a good cleaning it appears to be in very good condition. During a function check however, I noticed that the dummy rounds I had loaded were not being fed into the lifter mechanism. I ran a borescope down the outer tube and noticed what appear to be burrs. See below.

While I am curious as to how these got there I am now faced with how to remove them as the rim of the 22 shell is hanging up on the burrs. All I can think of is to use a drill bit slightly smaller in diameter than the ID of the outer tube. I will have to epoxy the drill bit to a drill rod as I do not have access to a welder. Hopefully I can remove the burs by hand vs using a drill motor.

Any other ideas? Can the Outer Tube be removed? If so, how? It is not obvious to me.

Thanks for the help.

Cowboy66
Old 07-08-2020, 09:28 AM
Cowboy66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I did find the magazine screw for the outer tube under some grime. Unfortunately the tube is stuck and I don't want to damage anything by forcing it. I will try some penetrating oil and see if that helps.

The damage (shown in the previous post) is at the interface between the two parts that make up the Receiver Insert. Unless my eyes are deceiving me, the receiver insert is welded to the receiver with plug welds. I don't think it is worth trying to remove the receiver insert from the receiver. I need to focus on getting the outer tube removed.

Once the outer tube is removed I am going to try use a conical grinding stone to remove the burs and instead of a drill bit. I believe this should produce a better result.

Cowboy66